News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Sets the Date for the End of XMPP with Google Voice

Started by AntonS, October 31, 2013, 05:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giqcass

Long live our new ObiLords!

gvuser2006

Anyone has tried talk86.com?  It seems you can use any sip device with them.

It also has some interesting articles about talk86 vs gv vs obi...

giqcass

Quote from: gvuser2006 on December 05, 2013, 06:52:30 AM
Anyone has tried talk86.com?  It seems you can use any sip device with them.

It also has some interesting articles about talk86 vs gv vs obi...
I wish you would have shared links to these "interesting articles".  I haven't tried the service but I'll look at it now.

Edit: The more I read about the service the less I like it.

QBZappy

Quote from: giqcass on December 05, 2013, 07:47:18 PM
I wish you would have shared links to these "interesting articles".  I haven't tried the service but I'll look at it now.

@gigcass
Where are your manners. You should be welcoming 1st time posters. BTW you may be talking to a machine. :) I'm not certain that gvuser2006 is a person and not really a spam bot. Always be suspicious of one time posters. Wait a minute. I'll find out and figure this out. If he is real I'll ask him a CAPTCHA question:

@gvuser2006
If you are human, please type in the answer to the following question.  ;D

*     2+2 =         *
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

@QBZappy
LOL!  After looking at the website a spam robot sounds like their type of marketing but I'm not sure they have the programming skills to pull it off.  More like an underpaid human.

@gvuser2006
If you are a real person asking a real question.  Welcome to the forum!  I think that service has a lot of hidden fees.  No outside feedback.  Prices are too high for what they provide.  There are a lot of better options out there.

mo832

I went to the talk86 site. There is nothing they offer that is special. Their prices are not attractive. And all the grammar and spelling/usage errors scream 2nd rate Chinese or foreign startup. I wouldn't trust them with either my money or my data or handling my service for anything important. But that is just me. Anyone else is free to form their own opinion. And if you have it and like it, good for you.

gvuser2006

why?
see inline for answer  >:(
Quote from: QBZappy on December 05, 2013, 09:05:10 PM
Quote from: giqcass on December 05, 2013, 07:47:18 PM

@gigcass
Where are your manners. You should be welcoming 1st time posters. BTW you may be talking to a machine. :) I'm not certain that gvuser2006 is a person and not really a spam bot. Always be suspicious of one time posters. Wait a minute. I'll find out and figure this out. If he is real I'll ask him a CAPTCHA question:

@gvuser2006
If you are human, please type in the answer to the following question.  ;D

*     2+2 = 4        *

gvuser2006

Quote from: mo832 on December 06, 2013, 11:01:20 AM
I went to the talk86 site. There is nothing they offer that is special. Their prices are not attractive. And all the grammar and spelling/usage errors scream 2nd rate Chinese or foreign startup. I wouldn't trust them with either my money or my data or handling my service for anything important. But that is just me. Anyone else is free to form their own opinion. And if you have it and like it, good for you.

Their rate to China and India is (relatively) special, :-)
I used it to route my International calls.

P.S. More captchas are welcome.

gvuser2006

Quote from: giqcass on December 05, 2013, 09:58:53 PM
@QBZappy
LOL!  After looking at the website a spam robot sounds like their type of marketing but I'm not sure they have the programming skills to pull it off.  More like an underpaid human.

@gvuser2006
If you are a real person asking a real question.  Welcome to the forum!  I think that service has a lot of hidden fees.  No outside feedback.  Prices are too high for what they provide.  There are a lot of better options out there.

GV's International rate is a bit high.
What I use is obi+talk86, so far so good. 

gvuser2006

Quote from: giqcass on December 05, 2013, 09:58:53 PM
@QBZappy

It's quite possible that they put more most effect into their service rather than the verbiage.
About us page shows that it was founded by several guys with advanced degrees (higher than you and me?) in STEM. 

Usetheforceobiwan

You know, I don't think it has dawned on a lot of people that the implementation of WEBRTC has actually increased the utility of the Obi devices.  As of now you can connect to your Obi's AA ànd bridge a call from any computer with a WEBRTC enabled browser with a mike and speakers from anywhere on the planet without need for a softphone , proxy or special hardware.  That functionality has not existed until very recently.  One would think that it can actually only get better -  current implementations of the WEBRTC protocol allows people to establish a communication session by merely sending a hyperlink via email.  Imagine how easily that would be incorporated into a sophisticated and flexible sip device like Obi which could easily bridge between the PSTN, our little subset techie sip world, GV and  the rest of the world that just wants a device as simple to operate as a cell phone or web browser.  

Don' t get me wrong, there are some Obi things that miff me (did you here me say OBION).  But in the end, if anything, the possibilities are only gonna get better and I am sure Obihai will figure out a way to make it happen.  

giqcass

Quote from: gvuser2006 on December 06, 2013, 01:26:19 PM
Their rate to China and India is (relatively) special, :-)
I used it to route my International calls.

P.S. More captchas are welcome.
They just barely beat localphone to those destinations for pay as you go.  Localphone is less expensive if you purchase a plan to those places.  I did find the VPN service an interesting extra but it's still not going make my top ten. 

P.S. Sorry we thought you might be a robot. LOL!

Ostracus

Quote from: Usetheforceobiwan on December 06, 2013, 08:32:18 PM
You know, I don't think it has dawned on a lot of people that the implementation of WEBRTC has actually increased the utility of the Obi devices.  As of now you can connect to your Obi's AA ànd bridge a call from any computer with a WEBRTC enabled browser with a mike and speakers from anywhere on the planet without need for a softphone , proxy or special hardware.  That functionality has not existed until very recently.  One would think that it can actually only get better -  current implementations of the WEBRTC protocol allows people to establish a communication session by merely sending a hyperlink via email.  Imagine how easily that would be incorporated into a sophisticated and flexible sip device like Obi which could easily bridge between the PSTN, our little subset techie sip world, GV and  the rest of the world that just wants a device as simple to operate as a cell phone or web browser.  

Don' t get me wrong, there are some Obi things that miff me (did you here me say OBION).  But in the end, if anything, the possibilities are only gonna get better and I am sure Obihai will figure out a way to make it happen.  

Indeed. I hope they've taken security into consideration as well. No need for three-letter agencies to be listening in, nor scammers running up phone bills.

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: Ostracus on December 06, 2013, 09:37:05 PM
Quote from: Usetheforceobiwan on December 06, 2013, 08:32:18 PM

Don' t get me wrong, there are some Obi things that miff me (did you here me say OBION).  But in the end, if anything, the possibilities are only gonna get better and I am sure Obihai will figure out a way to make it happen.  

Indeed. I hope they've taken security into consideration as well. No need for three-letter agencies to be listening in, nor scammers running up phone bills.

Are you talking about some  Nice Sounding Acronyms? ::)  For me at least, that's the lesser of my worries. I just don't have that exciting of a life. SIP can probably be broken easily  with enough knowledge or horsepower.  FWIW, I think WEBRTC uses certificates to establish authentication for sessions.  I do not believe SIP goes to that extent.

wpbear

I am looking for alternatives just like everyone else.  I am looking for a used MagicJack to use with the GVMate software but in the meantime I am trying other options.

I just tried out voipcheap with GV and IPKALL.  Steps I took:

1. I registered for voipcheap. and verified my Current GV phone # in the profile and set my number for caller ID spoof.

2. I registered for IPKALL with my voipcheap username.  Got a free DID.

3. Went to my current GV account and entered the new DID for GV to send the calls to.

4. Went to Obi Dashboard and setup voipcheap on SP1 (replacing my current GV from SP1)(SP2 is still anveo E911).

To test I placed an outgoing call to a USA cell phone and it rang and connected showing the correct Caller ID which I chose in step #1.

I then tested incoming by calling the original GV # and it rang with Caller ID (number only) and connected.

Outgoing is not really free though.  Must pay 10 Euro every 3 months, which allows free calls to all USA and many other places. The 10 Euro does not get spent unless you call a # which has a toll.  But still need to add min 10 Euro every 3 months to keep making outgoing calls.

Incoming seems free up to 200 min max every 7 day period.  I did a test incoming call of 5 min.  Only fine print I found was the max 200 min in a 7 day period.

Does anyone have a history (good/bad?) with voipcheap?  Are there any voip which offer free (even small amount  ~50 min) outgoing?

giqcass

I don't have any history with them but they sound like a betamax provider from your description.  I do not know of any service that offer quite what you need.  You should however consider localphone primarily because credit does not expire and they have the lowest rates to the united states of any service I know.

Check here for betamax rates.  The terms and prices vary from one reseller to the next you may find a better deal.
http://backsla.sh/betamax

wpbear

I was already using Anveo for E911 only so I am intersested in using Anveo

I am trying to setup Anveo to IPKALL for incoming the same as I got voipcheap to work but I can not get my phone to ring incoming using the same setup steps as I listed.

EDIT got it had to add 1555 to the begining of by account number in the IPKALL settings.  But it is not reliable.  Only rings about half the time.  Voipcheap rang every time.

azrobert

Quote from: wpbear on December 24, 2013, 10:30:19 AM
I am looking for a used MagicJack to use with the GVMate software.

I don't know how they can claim they will update their software to work after May 15th. I wouldn't invest money in this until I see it working. I know they say it's working in their lab, but who knows what Google will do between now and May 15th.

Even if they do have it working after May 15th I'm pretty sure Yate or Asterisk can do the same. I rather use my OBi with a PBX than a MJ dongle.

wpbear

If I can get the GV - Ipkall - Anveo to work reliably then I will stay with this route for .01/min to USA and .80/month for E911.

If I miss incoming calls I will have to choose between GVMate, Walmart Basic Talk or maybe NetTalk (But last time I used NetTalk the actual device broke in the middle of a year subscription and they wouldn't transfer the credit to another device).

dmd1

Hello everyone,

It's my first post here and hopefully with your expert opinions I can transition smoothly from GV to new Voip service after May of 2014.

From what I read so far, free DID numbers from Ipkall and Callcentric is not that reliable so I think I should get a paid DID for incoming calls so I can forward my GV number to this new number. Is this a good assumption? Other than paying for the number do I still get free incoming calls this way? Companies such as Callcentric and Anveo charge incoming calls according to their websites.

For outgoing calls, Localphone has the best rate so it's my choice.

Thank you for all your help.