News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outbound Calls Service Selection

Started by dennist, November 07, 2013, 11:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennist

Which VOIP services can be used on OBIHAI to make direct outbound calls? I don't want to use the callback method.  Localphone?

I also need the outbound calls show my Google Voice number as the caller ID.

gderf

There is a list of VoIP providers that the OBi has a configuration wizard for, the Generic is for all others not in the list that can be configured manually if they are capable of being used with OBi. Shop around.

Anveo
Broadvox
Callcentric
CallWithUs
Engin
freephoneline
Google Voice
InPhonex
ippi
Localphone
OneSuite
RingCentral
Sipgate
Vitelity
voip.ms
VOIPo

Generic Service Provider
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

dennist

Quote from: gderf on November 07, 2013, 11:09:23 AM
There is a list of VoIP providers that the OBi has a configuration wizard for, the Generic is for all others not in the list that can be configured manually if they are capable of being used with OBi. Shop around.
Thanks for your quick response. I did browse those VOIP websites and was confused and overwhelmed by all the terminologies. If you don't mind, can you point me to the one you are using?

For example, Localphone does not have the instruction on OBIHAI on its VoIP device configuration page. http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?action=post;msg=43460;topic=6897.0;sesc=5a0ee03385f6cde06c8d7e2858c55d05

gderf

Sure I can tell you what I am doing here, and what I plan to do next May, assuming Google does not break more things that spoil my plans.

At the outset, let me say that for now I am Using Google Voice (GV) directly for both inbound and outbound calls and will continue to do so until the projected end of XMPP support by Google on May 15, 2014.

However, in preparation for the end of XMPP which is going to render both direct incoming and outgoing OBi use via Google Talk non-operational, I have done the following:

1) I have obtained a free incoming only DID from CallCentric and verified that GV does in fact forward incoming calls thru it, and that web page initiated callbacks thru that DID for outgoing calls do in fact work. This is how I anticipate using my OBi for the most part once Google ceases supporting XMPP.

2) I have signed up with CallWithUs and gave them the minimum $5.00 payment that purchased approximately 470 outbound calling minutes. These minutes do not expire. I bought these minutes now to test with, evaluate call quality, etc. Should I not want to make a callback initiated outbound GV call, I can use CallWithUs at a sub one penny per minute. It is possible that calls could be routed by more expensive routes, but upper bounds can be set in your account profile to prevent that.

Since I don't have predictable outbound calling patterns I felt it was best to get some unexpiring outbound calling minutes and preserve them to the extent possible by using callbacks. If and when I get tired of using callbacks, I will reevaluate my outbound calling needs and see how they fit in with the various available unlimited monthly calling plans, large blocks of expiring minutes or just continue on with CallWithUs with unexpiring per minute use.

Good luck.

Edit: Corrected GV EOL date.

gderf

dennist

Quote from: gderf on November 07, 2013, 11:51:37 AM
Sure I can tell you what I am doing here, and what I plan to do next May, assuming Google does not break more things that spoil my plans.
Thank you for your detailed explanation. It gave me the courage to jump into the water. Once I created new account with these VoIP service providers, everything was clear. I setup the outbound call with caller ID spoofing successfully.

Since I have a grandfathered OOMA HUB to handle the inbound calls, I will not need to use the inbound DID until OOMA dies on me.