News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Use ObiTalk 110 only for dial-tone?

Started by jeffdod, February 14, 2014, 03:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffdod

Hello, I am an Ooma subscriber, and am happy with their service. However, I do not like their dial-tone. Is it possible to plug the Ooma into the "line" port of my ObiTalk 110 device and use the dial-tone of the Obi instead? I'd like to use all features of Ooma, but just have the ObiTalk dial-tone.

If it is possible, how would I set this up?

Thanks!

Rick

Wow.  You don't like a dial tone?  Really?

I'm going to open a company selling custom dial tones.

jeffdod

Have you heard the Ooma dial-tone? If you had heard it, you would understand. I have tinnitus (ringing in my ears) and the Ooma dial-tone is almost as annoying as that. At least the Ooma dial-tone stops when I dial a number, unlike the tinnitus.  :)

Anyway, another way of asking this question would be: If I set up my ObiTalk 110 with no SP1/SP2 provider, but with the Ooma connected to the Line port, would it use the Ooma for both incoming/outgoing calls, but with the ObiTalk dial-tone?

azrobert

The factory default settings on your OBi110 will do what you want.

This is the default Physical Interfaces -> Line Port -> DigitMap:
(xxxxxxxS4|1xxxxxxxxxx|xx.)

The xxxxxxxS4 is for local 7 digit dialing. I'm not familiar with an Ooma, but I assume it doesn't support 7 digit dialing.

The xx. will accept any length dialed number. After you dial 11 digits the OBi110 will pause for a while, waiting to see if more digits will be dialed.

A better DigitMap:
(<1480>xxxxxxxS4|1xxxxxxxxxx)

Change "480" to your local area code. It will be prepended to a dialed 7 digit number.
Now there will be no pause after dialing 11 digits.

If you call international numbers use:
(<1480>xxxxxxxS4|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

jeffdod

Thanks very much for the information. As a side-note, the Ooma supports 7, 10, and 11-digit dialing.

azrobert

This DigitMap will allow 10 or 11 digit dialing:
(<480>xxxxxxxS4|1?xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

There are a couple other parms you might want to change under
Physical Interfaces -> Line Port

RingDelay is set 4000 milliseconds.
This will delay incoming calls from ringing for 4 seconds.
It's used for processing the CallerID.
Do a search on the forum for RingDelay for a detailed explanation.
You should be able to set it to 0

The OBi110 uses Silence Detection to determine if the person on the other end has hung up, so if they put you on hold for 60 seconds you will be disconnected.

Uncheck DetectFarEndLongSilence

jeffdod