News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Best VOIP provider?

Started by CmdrWestside, November 07, 2013, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gderf

Quote from: kallsop on January 21, 2014, 04:45:40 AM
Quote from: gderf on January 19, 2014, 07:27:15 PM
How about unlimited calling to US/Canada for $39.99/year total cost with your OBi?

And yes, you can forward your GV number and set it as your outgoing CallerID.

If you are referring to the announced Obihai offer, it clearly states "a set-number of outbound calling minutes", not unlimited. If you know of a deal at $40/year for unlimited outbound minutes, post it, you'll be very popular.

I do. It's called Obivoice.com and it has been discussed heavily here. Look around some.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

KAura

Quote from: sunmercury on November 08, 2013, 09:50:23 AM
... In my case, my 70-year-old mom is on the phone easily more than 1 hours each day...

I'm not affiliated with anybody mentioned, however, after doing a little math here is what I come up with, and correct me if I am wrong...

LocalPhone 5,000 minutes @ $5.00 per month = .1 cents per minute

5,000 minutes / 30 days = 166 2/3 minutes per day, or 2.78 hours per day for $5.00,
so if your mom talked over 8 hours per day, every day, your bill would be only $15/mo.

JS365

Quote from: gderf on January 22, 2014, 05:12:21 PM
I do. It's called Obivoice.com and it has been discussed heavily here. Look around some.

They just raise the price slightly higher today.
$40/year became 2000 mins/month. Still works for me though.

Anyone tried it? How about the call quality?

gderf

I have been using the trial for 12 days. No problems and the call quality is excellent.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

DeviantKhan

Any recommendations from the common VoIP services for someone who is reasonably technical with priorities of performance, reliability, and features more so than extremely cheap calling? I don't need unlimited talk and would initially prefer a package of minutes or monthly per-use billing.

ProfTech

CallCentric. Clear pricing with good choices. Lots of easy to set up features if you want or need to use them. If you don't, standard voice mail is still available [no extra charge] with no setup on your part what so ever.

sdb-

Quote from: KAura on January 22, 2014, 06:08:36 PM
LocalPhone 5,000 minutes @ $5.00 per month = .1 cents per minute

5,000 minutes / 30 days = 166 2/3 minutes per day, or 2.78 hours per day for $5.00,
so if your mom talked over 8 hours per day, every day, your bill would be only $15/mo.

Doesn't work like that.

After using all the minutes allowed for your subscription, Localphone charges their normal rate (e.g. US48 at 0.5cents/minute).  I don't know any way to buy multiple subscriptions.

sdb-

Quote from: DeviantKhan on January 24, 2014, 09:29:13 AM
Any recommendations from the common VoIP services for someone who is reasonably technical with priorities of performance, reliability, and features more so than extremely cheap calling? I don't need unlimited talk and would initially prefer a package of minutes or monthly per-use billing.

Anveo seems to me to have all the features and their graphical call-flow programming allows a lot of customization.  Pay for use for outgoing. Incoming is unlimited for $2 (personal) or $4 (business) per month or pay for use (I don't know but might have a few minutes included as part of the basic (free) or enhanced ($/month) features).  Add $0.80/month for E911 (required for outgoing calls if US/Canada resident).

carl

Quote from: sdb- on January 27, 2014, 04:43:44 PM

After using all the minutes allowed for your subscription, Localphone charges their normal rate (e.g. US48 at 0.5cents/minute).  I don't know any way to buy multiple subscriptions.
Within a family, no problem, as long as everyone has his own ATA.

AlanB

Quote from: sdb- on January 27, 2014, 04:50:00 PM
Anveo seems to me to have all the features and their graphical call-flow programming allows a lot of customization.  Pay for use for outgoing. Incoming is unlimited for $2 (personal) or $4 (business) per month or pay for use (I don't know but might have a few minutes included as part of the basic (free) or enhanced ($/month) features).  Add $0.80/month for E911 (required for outgoing calls if US/Canada resident).

Anveo rates are not intuitive.  Where do you get the unlimited incoming for $2 from?

MikeHObi

Quote from: AlanB on January 27, 2014, 07:38:40 PM
Quote from: sdb- on January 27, 2014, 04:50:00 PM

Anveo rates are not intuitive.  Where do you get the unlimited incoming for $2 from?

You would need the Anveo Free subscription package
https://www.anveo.com/consumer/service.asp

Then you need an Anveo Free "Personal" unlimited number which if you follow the chart to the bottom by United States you see column two with $2.00.
https://www.anveo.com/consumer/mainphonenumbers.asp

I'm currently on that plan with 2 OBI's, one for me and one for my mom.  Once I get a full month of use I'll get a better sense of the costs.  It is complicated to find the actual numbers ahead of time, but from my checking I think I'll end up about the same as say at Callcentric with their prepay plans.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

KAura

Doesn't work like that.

WOW!!  They just lost my business.

AlanB

Quote from: MikeHObi on January 28, 2014, 09:48:47 AM

You would need the Anveo Free subscription package
https://www.anveo.com/consumer/service.asp

Then you need an Anveo Free "Personal" unlimited number which if you follow the chart to the bottom by United States you see column two with $2.00.
https://www.anveo.com/consumer/mainphonenumbers.asp

Thanks.  I use Anveo for 911, but now I've also got 911 with a Callcentric DID that I got to get Caller ID with name since GV didn't have it.  Anveo or Callcentric are my frontrunners right now for switching from GV.  But, I'll wait and see what Obhai is waiting to unvail in their blog. Thanks again.

QBZappy

Quote from: tw18 on January 22, 2014, 04:52:46 PM
Check www.pingshow.net. They can offer $40 per year with unlimited call in US & CANADA for GV numbers. Email to support@pingshow.net for more information.

In anticipation of seeing obihai announcing perhaps their own new voip service or announcements of 3rd party official obihai partners, I found this post interesting for the following similarities between PingShow Inc and obihai. These two companies are less than 9 miles from each other. I wonder if there is any affiliation between them.

Obihai Technology, Inc.
2105 S. Bascom Avenue
Campbell, CA 95008

pingshow.net (Airetalk)
1025 S. De Anza Blvd. San Jose, CA

Other similarities between them:
PingShow founded in 2010 with headquarters in Cupertino, California ( http://www.pingshow.net/aboutus.htm )

The first blog post I read about obihai: Obihai Technology, a tiny Cupertino start-up, this month brought to market its first product, the OBi110 (20 Oct 2010)
OBi110 product announcement 20 Oct 2010 ( http://obihai.com/press )
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

Quote from: KAura on January 28, 2014, 10:00:28 AM
Doesn't work like that.

WOW!!  They just lost my business.

Keep in mind those rates are for outbound.  Inbound is free.  I would personally contact support if I wanted a bigger bucket of outbound minutes.  I'm sure they could accommodate you.
Long live our new ObiLords!

SandySandy

Just signed up for ObiVoice.  If this works as well as it appears, they nailed it.  It looks like a great value and simple to understand.  I've been looking for Google Voice replacement and checking out the low cost ITSP's.  They might be good but its pretty difficult to understand the product and estimate the cost (I really only wanted to spend $5/month or less). 

One thing I'm really optimistic about is the ObiTalk app.  I'm also really cheap with my cell phone bill and I was disappointed that GV rolled over for the Cell providers and uses minutes when it could be using WiFi.  The Obi app will use wifi and no minutes.

I haven't really tested it yet so this post is a bit premature but I'm optimistic...

Rick

I've never used the OBiTalk app, but everything I've ever read on this forum is that it's not very good and prone to lockups.

dircom

I used obion and 3cx soft phone on my laptop when traveling, and it always worked well