News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 with BT adapter + Android GV app

Started by Brian321, November 11, 2013, 07:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian321

OK, so now that GV is going away, I have a question.

I read on Google's site that the Android app for GV can be set to always be used whenever a number is dialed on the android phone.

The Obihai BT adapter, which works with the Obi202, can dial the android phone.

As I understand it, the Android GV app can work over WiFi, so I could use an old Android smartphone (with no phone/data plan).

So... here's the question...  will this setup work to allow an Obi202 + BT adapter to continue to use GV even after May 15, 2014?

Brian321

Oh, I see now that the official GV app for android actually uses the phone's voice plan for calling out.  Stupid.

giqcass

You can set up sipdroid and have google Voice forward to that.  Then it is a totally ip phone.  Another option is to use the free Vonage app to dial out.  They allow free outgoing calls and spoof your phone number so it can look like the call came from your Google Voice number.   I have been experimenting with these setups but there seems to be some sort of issue I have not resolved yet.  Both solutions give you seamless calling when dialed from the Android phones but they seem to give no service errors when dialed from a phone connected to the Obi.  Bluetooth dialing seems to work in a different way.  I think Bluetooth bypasses the dialer app.  If I get it working I'll post something here.
Long live our new ObiLords!

steve54301

http://code.google.com/p/pygooglevoice/

This does not use XMPP, so in theory will (hopefully) still work after May 2014.

giqcass

That technique worked before the XMPP hack and there is no reason to think it won't function after XMPP shuts down.  However there is still no free way to integrate it with the Obi unless they give us a way to communicate with it.  I have been hoping for the ability to place a request to a url.  http://jr9.org/sCd

giqcass

I tried the Android + Bluetooth dialer approach and have had mixed results.  I was not able to use the OBi Bluetooth adapter successfully on either phone I tested.  My best result was using Vonage app to dial out free and spoof my Google Voice number. It worked partially on one phone using my cell fusion Bluetooth gateway and not at all on the other phone.

Anyone else care to test this trick?  I suspect it might work on a newer android build.  The phones I tested were both on 2.2