News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi200 and WiFi Adapter

Started by DanP, November 11, 2013, 09:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanP

Is the ObWiFi required when using WiFi or can another wireless adapter be used?

I'm still in the planning phase. Setup might vary a bit but seems like I just need to tell the 200 what network (SSID) to connect to and what password.

Thanks, Dan

Shale

You could use a "wireless game adapter" or " Universal WiFi Internet Adapter". Plug the Ethernet port of the OBi into the adapter. I think that answers the question that you asked, but it does not answer whether you can use a different USB dongle, which may have been what you meant. If you ask that, I expect the answer is no-- but I cannot be sure.

DanP

I was actually referring to another generic USB-WiFi dongle/adapter. Sorry for the confusion.

gderf

Extremely unlikely that any drivers for third party WiFi USB dongles are included in the OBihai OS.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

colleenz

I also have the 200 plus wifi adaptor.  I got this answer today from obivoice. Seems as though they don't advise using wifi.  Hope thi helps, C

Subject: using Obivoice
JAN 20, 2014  |  10:54AM PST
Andrew Tilton replied:
Colleen,

You can have our service at the same time as Century Link home phone service. Unfortunately we do not recommend use of our service with Satellite or Wireless service as we cannot guarantee quality VoIP service with that sort of internet connection.

Our service would work with a cordless phone system. As long as you plug in the main phone line with the adapter the rest of the phones will receive the calls wirelessly.

Intelafone Customer Relations
http://www.intelafone.com

cluckercreek

I believe he is referring to cell phone wireless and not wi-fi.

colleenz

Quote from: cluckercreek on January 20, 2014, 05:11:25 PM

Thank you cluckercreek!   Too many new terms to learn!  I'm still trying to decide between Obivoice
& voip.ms.  So many choices & so little time.

MikeHObi

Quote from: colleenz on January 25, 2014, 11:22:48 AM
Quote from: cluckercreek on January 20, 2014, 05:11:25 PM

Thank you cluckercreek!   Too many new terms to learn!  I'm still trying to decide between Obivoice
& voip.ms.  So many choices & so little time.

Get a Google voice number.  Then you can try out various providers, say one month at a time without having to keep porting a number.  When you settle on a service you can then if you want port the number.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

MurrayB

I had been using Google Voice independently and then with the Obi for some time. In December I ported two numbers to voip.ms I am about to port a third number. I could not be happier with the quality, customer service, port department, live chat, and control via the website.

I do subscribe to the CNAM option.

Good Luck!