News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Inbound calls ring late or don't ring at all with Callcentric and GV

Started by slowbiscuit, November 12, 2013, 07:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowbiscuit

I just setup a new Callcentric account for inbound calls only, and configured the Obi to register it on SP2.  This works fine when I call the CC number directly.  However, with GV setup only to forward to the CC number, my inbound calls only work intermittently.

My setup:  Obi 100

SP1:  GoogleVoice for free outbound

SP2:  Callcentric free NY DID number, designated as inbound destination number for GoogleVoice.  Inbound calls made to my GV number are directed to SP2's Callcentric NY DID number.

Incoming calls work sometimes and not others, and when they work it rings 3-4 times before my home phone rings or caller gets sent to GV voicemail.  With GV set to forward to Chat and not CC it works flawlessly and has for years.

Call history in GV shows all inbound calls, history in CC portal only shows some of them (the missing calls get sent to GV voicemail).

Obviously there is some sort of issue with GV forwarding to CC, but can't figure out what it is.  All I have for phones in GV is my old Chat for inbound (not checked) and the new CC number.  I verified that all my GV groups are set to go to Callcentric.

Stumped at this point, basically GV to CC is unusable for me now.

gderf

Do you have anonymous call rejection enabled on your free CC DID? If so, and a call comes into GV and is passed on to CC  without caller ID it won't be forwarded to your OBi..
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

slowbiscuit

No, I don't.  I can try calls from my cell to my GV # and half of them get through (late), half don't.  All of them show up in the GV history, the missing ones don't in CC.  Same problem when dialing from my work # (a landline).

CPC_obi

I am having the same issue as slowbiscuit.

Same setup on SP1 and SP2.   I have GV set to ring both my cell and fwd to FREE callcentric/obi.   The cell rings almost instantly when the GV number is dialed.  On some days the forwarded to callcentric/obi rings a few seconds  later and other times much later (5 rings or more) or not at all.  In recent weeks its getting worse and worse.

I have had it setup this way for about a year and for most of that time the cell and the forwarded to callcentric/obi rang almost at the same time.  Again.. its just recently getting worse and worse... bigger and bigger delay cause by callcentric. (and/or whoever is handling their free #'s)

As a test, I just reconfigured GV to ring straight to the OBI and simultaneously to the cell and took callcentric out of the equation. Problem gone.... The obi rings almost instantly and usually before the cell phone does.  So the delay is cause by the callcentric hop. Note: I have all options off at callcentric, call treatments off etc.

Of course the negative is no incoming caller ID name... although callcentric was terrible with this anyhow as only a small percentage showed proper incoming caller ID name through them.

Now looking at alternative incoming caller ID name solutions rather than Callcentric..

Update: I see this other recent thread with a similar issue.  Maybe its all call forwarding via GV and not just Callcentric??? Others with thoughts?  https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6965.0

slowbiscuit

Yep, I've also tried switching to different free CC DIDs (in different area code) and it seemed to be better initally but then I noticed missing calls, same issue.  This will make GV with the Obi useless in May when the Obi to Google Chat protocol goes away, because I won't be able to count on it ringing any inbound SIP service.

Problem is that GV is a free service and Google doesn't provide any real support, so who knows if/when the routing issue gets fixed.

gderf

Until this GV -> CC problem gets solved you can use the following as a workaround.

Go to http://www.ipkall.com/ and apply for a free DID there. Use your existing CC SIP URI in the signup process. Once IPKall sends you your DID number, add it to GV as a forwarder.

giqcass

Quote from: gderf on November 24, 2013, 10:10:41 AM
Until this GV -> CC problem gets solved you can use the following as a workaround.

Go to http://www.ipkall.com/ and apply for a free DID there. Use your existing CC SIP URI in the signup process. Once IPKall sends you your DID number, add it to GV as a forwarder.

So If I understand you correctly routing through IpKall to your Callcentric sip uri actually rings faster then routing directly to your free Callcentric DID.  That's counter-intuitive but if it works we might as well roll with it.  I may do some side by side testing just to see it in action.
Long live our new ObiLords!

gderf

Quote from: giqcass on November 26, 2013, 12:47:07 AM
So If I understand you correctly routing through IpKall to your Callcentric sip uri actually rings faster then routing directly to your free Callcentric DID.

You don't understand me correctly.  :-\

Routing from GV to IPKall to my Callcentric SIP URI rings the OBi phone.

Routing from GV to my free Callcentric DID number doesn't ring the phone at all. And the calls don't appear in the Callcentric Calls Report.

I'll probably just abandon that DID and take another from them. Maybe that will work.

giqcass

Quote from: gderf on November 26, 2013, 05:59:49 AM
Quote from: giqcass on November 26, 2013, 12:47:07 AM
So If I understand you correctly routing through IpKall to your Callcentric sip uri actually rings faster then routing directly to your free Callcentric DID.

You don't understand me correctly.  :-\

Routing from GV to IPKall to my Callcentric SIP URI rings the OBi phone.

Routing from GV to my free Callcentric DID number doesn't ring the phone at all. And the calls don't appear in the Callcentric Calls Report.

I'll probably just abandon that DID and take another from them. Maybe that will work.

For me it at least still rings.  It just takes too long.
Long live our new ObiLords!

MikeHObi

I continue to see the same issue both forwarding GV to Callcentric or to Anveo.  This seems to be a GV issue.  I'll have to try setting up IPKall and see if that resolves it.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

gderf

I took a free DID with IPKall and used my existing Callcentric SIP credentials for it. It works fine as a forward from GV.

I also cancelled my existing non-working free Callcentric DID that was in the 845 area code and took a new one in the 929 area code. This one works fine with GV so far. But so did the one that stopped working, so time will tell.

carl

Quote from: gderf on November 28, 2013, 08:20:54 AM
I took a free DID with IPKall and used my existing Callcentric SIP credentials for it. It works fine as a forward from GV.

I also cancelled my existing non-working free Callcentric DID that was in the 845 area code and took a new one in the 929 area code. This one works fine with GV so far. But so did the one that stopped working, so time will tell.

This issue has been extensively discussed on DSL reports. The problem are the cheap terminating/aggregating providers Google Voice, Localphone and anveo use to terminate calls into Telengy DID's ( Telengy provides the free DID's for Callcentric.

gderf

I've have read that DSLReports thread and posted into it a few times.

How do you explain that GV forwards to some free CC DIDs work, and others don't, even those in the same area code and exchange?

Mark55

Been having the same types of problems with GV and CC, as have many others. The way it is now, GV paired with CC for incoming calls is essentially worthless. It appears to be be a GV problem. And as of today, even the voicemail indicator on the phone wont clear, even though there are no messages. Google Voice has problems. Temporarily forwarded the GV number to a Verizon Home Connect number. No delays, rings right through, plus CNAM.

I realize of course that GV is free, and cant crab too much about something that is free, but if it no longer works then perhaps its time to ditch it. Dont know about anyone else on here, but personally I'd be willing to pay a little for GV, so long as it worked, a tech person actually kept up with posts on their problems forums, and they'd give us the option to turn off the voicemail and just use an answering machine.

millert

I've been having the same issues as many of you with the CC free DID.  In my case I was even having receiving calls directly.  I signed up for a new free DID in the 929 area code and things have been much better.  Hopefully they'll stay that way.

SteveInWA

There was a previous discussion here on the OBi forum about a related issue, of caller ID being lost in calls from GV to CC.  There was a lot of finger-pointing by CC saying it was GV's problem. 

This delayed/missing call problem may or may not be related to the CID issue; I suspect it is.  My area code 845 CC DID briefly had the Anonymous CID issue, which then magically went away.  Now, it's really FUBAR, and I also intermittently get the delayed or completely non-functional GV-->CC calls.  This week, I am now getting a combination of anonymous CID, correct CID, or somebody else's random CID (!!!)

I now think it's pointless to flip between various CC free DIDs; I suspect they all are impacted by the issue, which is most likely as mentioned earlier, something about the route between GV's CLEC and CC's CLEC.  Note that my PAID, local CC DID, which is on a different CLEC, works just fine.

My contact at Google opened a bug report for their engineers on the issues today.  It would help encourage them to work on it if y'all would please pile on to either of these two discussion threads, depending on which bug you experience:  Please be nice and add helpful data  ;)

The anonymous/wrong CID thread:  https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/voice/FOMC_n8pYUM/discussion

The delayed or dead call thread:  https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/voice/HFVaCVxiD_w/discussion

What their engineers typically want, is a list of a few (3-5) calls, including the last 4 digits of your GV phone number (to authenticate that you own the account they're looking at and acknowledge that they'll be looking at your data), the date(s) and approximate times of calls that are not working, and the last 4 digits of the CC (or Anveo) DID that is not receiving the calls, receiving them late, or receiving them with anonymous or bogus CIDs.

Usetheforceobiwan

I am having the same CID (incorrect/anonymous) issues as everyone else with CC NY based DID's.   But I am also experiencing a problem with a GV # forwarded to an Anveo DID - you cannot pick up the forwarded call from a softphone it just keeps ringing and ringing like GV is ignoring the Anveo connection.  This has been happening over the course of several days.

GV calls forwarded to Voip.ms DID's seems to work fine though.

I do  think that something is trying to prevent the use of Callcentric as a free CallerID processor.  I am not pointing the finger at anyone in particular but perhaps an entity is getting stuck with the freight to pay for all those lookups that are being performed.

CoalMinerRetired

I'll confirm SteveInWA's observations, specifically it went away, but now I'm seeing a combination of anonymous CID, correct CID, or somebody else's random CID. The someone else's random CID is especially worrisome, because the CNAM shows as "New York" and I suspect this is a number in a block of CC numbers.

I'll jump in the linked threads, I do have faith in that GV and CC (especially CC) have worked out issues in the past.

SteveInWA

I do encourage people with this problem to post on the two threads I linked earlier in the discussion.  Concise, polite posts with lists of call information as requested in the threads will be most helpful.  I will continue to nag my contacts at Google until it's either fixed or it's apparent that they won't fix it.

A bug report was filed with Google engineering on 12/6, so they at least have to look into it.

At this time, I can't recommend anyone use a Callcentric free DID as a GV forwarding destination.  Callcentric paid DIDs work fine (assuming you select one that is not from their pool of free DIDs).  This is because the problem seems to be isolated to the routing between Google's CLEC and Callcentric's "Telengy" CLEC:

http://www.localcallingguide.com/lca_prefix.php?ocn=473G