News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi Ad Hoc Gateways and Single-Stage Dialling Using OBiTALK

Started by ianobi, November 18, 2013, 04:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianobi

The typical scenario here is a person in one country and all the family back in the old country. To keep in touch you can simply have an OBi in each place and call each other using **9xxxxxxxxx. However, there's much more that you can do with this link.

I'll assume the calling OBi is in USA and the receiving OBi is in Holland.
USA OBi 500111111
Holland OBi 200222222

The parents in Holland do not have internet, but the sister does - stay with me it's a nice story with a happy ending   :)

Parents PSTN number 0123456789.

In all scenarios the receiving OBi is assumed to be an OBi110 using its Line Port to dial out on that country's PSTN network. The receiving OBi at sister's in Holland needs this set up:

Voice Services > OBiTALK Service > InboundCallRoute:
{500111111>(xx.):li},{500111111:aa},{ph}

Scenario 1 Setting Up an Ad Hoc Gateway:

This is in the Admin Guide and explained here by RonR improving on the standard setup:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3078.msg20541#msg20541

Scenario 2 – Using OBi Speed Dials Without an Ad Hoc Gateway:

No need to change any digit maps etc in USA OBi for this one.

Set up speed dials in USA OBi:

Speed dial 8 –   Sister:   pp(ob200222222)
Speed dial 10 -   Parents:   pp(ob200222222*0123456789)
Speed dial 11 -   Uncle Fred:   pp(ob200222222*0123456781)
Speed dial 12 -   Aunty Freda:   pp(ob200222222*0123456782)
Etc

From USA OBi dial:

8# - routes to Holland OBi Auto Attendant. Dial 1 for Sister, dial 2 for any other Holland Number.
10# - direct call to parents
11# - direct call to Uncle Fred
12# - direct call to Aunty Freda

Scenario 3 – Dialling from any Phone / Phone System Without Using an Ad Hoc Gateway:

This needs a change to the USA OBi:

Voice Services > OBiTALK Service > DigitMap:
(<ob>xxxxxxxxx*@@.|obxxxxxxxxx*@@.|<ob>xxxxxxxxx|obxxxxxxxxx)

Now you call from your home phone or telephone system using the dial pad, or more likely their own speed dials, in this format:

**9xxxxxxxxx*yyyyyyyyyyy

Where xxxxxxxxx is the distant OBi number and yyyyyyyyyyy is the number to be dialled from the distant OBi Line Port.

Of course, all of the above scenarios can be modified to use any SPx rather than the Line Port in the distant OBi.

Calls using these setups via the OBiTALK network seem to be of good quality (G711u codec) and CallerID/CName is always passed.

Scenario 2 seems to be most user friendly for the everyday situation of families keeping in touch. You can also set up access to the USA OBi via it's Auto Attendant, select Option 2, then dial the required speed dial number for a number in Holland.

For all OBinerds RonR describes how to set up a network of up to 98 OBi devices with through dialling through all trunks of all of them using Ad Hoc Gateways:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1103.msg6932#msg6932

QBZappy

Quote from: ianobi on November 18, 2013, 04:57:17 AM
The parents in Holland do not have internet, but the sister does - stay with me it's a nice story with a happy ending   :)

+1 Brilliant.

I love a story with a happy ending.

To add to the usefulness of this approach adding your cell number to the local OBi cot will enable you to use the voice services of the far away OBi (li or spx). This will allow you to use the OBi speed dials using the phone attached to the OBi OR remotely using a cell (via local OBi AA directly or via a call back).

Voice Services->SPx Service->X_InboundCallRoute
{(Mcot):aa($1)},{ph}

Ian, perhaps you can make it a regular feature. Perhaps an OBi tip of the month.  :)

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.