News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ring both my obi202 and my Talkatone at the same time

Started by ralphldcm, November 19, 2013, 05:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralphldcm

I want my obi202 and my cell phone (Talkatone on iphone) to ring at the same time.  I know one can ring multiple numbers in Google Voice, but this isn't what I want.  I want to have both the obi202 and Talkatone logged in at the same time and have both ring simultaneously.

According to this site it can be done using Expert Configuration and setting X_GTalkSimultaneousRing:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5566.0

I tried it, but whenever I enabled Talkatone (on the iphone), calls to my GV number would not ring on the obi202.  As soon as I disabled Talkatone, then the obi202 phone would ring.  Can someone explain to me what is the purpose of X_GTalkSimultaneousRing, and how I can make both the obi202 and Talkatone ring at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

ralphldcm

I found a way that seems to work--at least till May.  I got a free phone number from ipkall.  I signed up with FreeCall and gave them 10 euros.  I don't think I would have had to pay anything for incoming calls.  I also tried iptel for free, but there was too big a delay in call forwarding from GV.  So far the GV forwarding to Freecall seems to happen within a single ring time.

I set my obi202 (SP1) to use GV.  (Note: I ported my old landline number to GV.)  I set up Freecall on SP3 (SP2 was already taken with my attempt to  use iptel).  I set up talkatone on the iphone to also use the same GV number/account that I had just assigned to the obi202.  Doing that disabled receiving incoming calls on the SP1.   I set up GV to forward calls to Google Chat (now connected to talkatone on the iphone).  I also set GV to forward calls to the ipkall/FreeCall phone number.  I set the obi to SP1 for all outgoing calls.  (Also I set up 911 calling using Anveo for $12/year on SP4.)  (I also set Expert Configuration>Service Providers>ITSP C>DTMFMethod to "InBand" ,made sure Profile C was used by SP3, so that faxing over ipkall/FreeCall worked much better)

Now when I call my old landline number Google Chat rings the iphone, and the GV forwarding to the ipkall/FreeCall number rings my home phone.  When I answer either one, the other stops ringing (with a small delay).  When I make a call from either phone, it uses GV outbound to make a free call. 

So everything is great until May.  Then I am going to look at what obihai and talkatone have available.  If nothing free, I will use FreeCall or some other SIP provider.  Incidentally, while FreeCall looked good on the web site, in reality it is not so cheap, and I can't find a way to do caller-id spoofing so my GV number is always sent to the called party--like happens now with GV making the call.  I read in various web sites about LocalPhone (cheap), Future Nine, and Callcentric's 500 minute plan.   I also read about Ring.To

Hope this helps someone.