News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Application Specific Passwords

Started by Scott216, November 23, 2013, 09:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott216

I recently turned on Google's two factor authentication.  Now I'm getting text messages every hour from Google with an authorization code because my ObiTalk is trying to authenticate to Google.  I created an application specific password, but I can't figure out how to apply it to my ObiTalk account.

sdb-

Your OBiTalk is what?

I suspect you mean your OBi (100, 110, 200, 202) is trying to auth to Google.  OBiTalk does not auth to google.  (If you click the button "log on with google account" then it let you auth with google and if you succeed, it will get your name, etc. but NOT your password from google.)

If you use OBiTalk to configure your OBi, then you can click the gear icon next to the device, then click the gear icon next to the correct service provider.

Now on the screen you should see something like:
QuoteSP1:  Google Voice™ Account - Home110
(I named my account "Home110" and it is on SP1, yours may vary.)

On that page in the top box (above the "Important Message ...") you see gmail username and password boxes.  Fill in the correct application specific credentials and submit.

giqcass

The above post gets it correct.  This is what I have set up and it works fine.  Just put the application specific pass into the Obi instead of your gmail password. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

Scott216

Quote from: sdb- on November 24, 2013, 10:45:19 AM
Your OBiTalk is what?

I suspect you mean your OBi (100, 110, 200, 202) is trying to auth to Google.  OBiTalk does not auth to google.  (If you click the button "log on with google account" then it let you auth with google and if you succeed, it will get your name, etc. but NOT your password from google.)

If you use OBiTalk to configure your OBi, then you can click the gear icon next to the device, then click the gear icon next to the correct service provider.

Now on the screen you should see something like:
QuoteSP1:  Google Voice™ Account - Home110
(I named my account "Home110" and it is on SP1, yours may vary.)

On that page in the top box (above the "Important Message ...") you see gmail username and password boxes.  Fill in the correct application specific credentials and submit.

I'm using Obi100.  I clicked on the two gear icons and entered my application specific password.  This should solve my problem.  Thanks.

kflaming

I recently turned on Google's two factor authentication. I generated an application specific password for ObiTalk on my OBi200. I followed the above procedure for application specific passwords clicking the gear next to Google Voice service provider. Mine is just "SP1:  Google Voice™". I could not authenticate with my gmail account and the application specific password. I had to reenter my actual gmail password with my gmail account to authenticate. I wonder if I'm going to get the hourly authentication codes from Google? What password are you "really" supposed to enter? Where does the application specific password "really" go?

SteveInWA

Quote from: kflaming on September 02, 2016, 02:28:06 PM
I recently turned on Google's two factor authentication. I generated an application specific password for ObiTalk on my OBi200. I followed the above procedure for application specific passwords clicking the gear next to Google Voice service provider. Mine is just "SP1:  Google Voice™". I could not authenticate with my gmail account and the application specific password. I had to reenter my actual gmail password with my gmail account to authenticate. I wonder if I'm going to get the hourly authentication codes from Google? What password are you "really" supposed to enter? Where does the application specific password "really" go?

There must be thousands of posts by now that explain that you can no longer use a user ID/password to authenticate an OBi device to Google Voice.

You must upgrade the OBi's firmware, and use the OBiTALK web portal to set up OAUTH 2.0 authentication between your device and the Google Chat service instead.

Read and follow these instructions:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460