News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Configuring OBi110 to act as an ATA for Door-phone System

Started by Boswell, November 24, 2013, 05:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boswell

I am seeking instruction on configuring my OBi110 to act as a phone line converter.  The reason is that I have a video intercom system (Entryvue RK Series, DR18 door-station, P7 monitors) and an optional call forwarding module (DT-TPC, telephone interface for PBX system).    The manufacturer states that an analog line is necessary, otherwise a digital to analog phone line converter.  I have VOIP phone service from Time Warner Cable.

The system provides that when a visitor calls from the door-station the monitors inside ring and display video of the visitor, while two way communication is initiated.  With an optional call forwarding module connected at the main control panel, and the telephone number where the resident would like to be reached having been programmed into the monitor(s), the visitor will be connected to the resident in a remote location.  Two way voice communication will be initiated, and the resident will be able to dial a command to the door-station to open the door.

I need to know what configuration needs to be done on the OBi110, as well as whether it is necessary to include a preface before the forwarding telephone number.  Also, I am not clear as to the proper connections between the OBi110 and the call forwarding module.  There is only one possibility on the call forwarding module, and it is a regular phone jack which would normally be used to connect the unit to a jack on the home's analog telephone system.  My assumption is that it would be wired to the phone port on the OBi110.  The OBi110, would be wired to the phone system with an ethernet cable going to the modem. 

Any guidance, aside from going back to a land line, would be greatly appreciated. 

ianobi

Boswell - welcome to the forum. Please be aware that most of us here are simply interested amateurs.

It looks to me like the DT-TPC, telephone interface for PBX system, behaves as a simple analogue phone. You program a number into it, so when the call button is pushed it seizes the analogue line and dials the programmed number.

If the above is true, then you should be able to connect it to your house phone wiring, which I assume is connected to your Time Warner modem. Although your Time Warner phone arrives at your home via VOIP, the modem presents it to your home phones as an analogue line.

An OBi would only be useful if you wanted to keep your home phones separate from the DT-TPC. In that case you would wire the DT-TPC to the Phone Port. Then you would need to set up another VOIP provider (GV, Callcentric etc) on the OBi to process the call.