News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting up account with providers when behind proxy.

Started by mmjj, November 29, 2013, 07:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmjj

how can you setup acct. with providers when you are behind proxy "hotspotshild and others" and provider can not get your actual IP for their marketing.it is not for security,they have all other personal info.
which of the providers in the list doesn't spy on you? Thanks.

sdb-

Get over the paranoia.

First, VoIP is unlikely to work well thru a 3rd party proxy or VPN because of increased and variable latency.  To fix the problem you will need to use your real IP address anyway.

Second, SIP providers are frequently defrauded or used for nefarious purposes by people in certain countries. The providers don't like dealing with that, and it raises costs for their honest customers, so they take reasonable steps to protect themselves. Those steps often include extra validation or delays for customers from those problem areas and blocking access from those who are obviously attempting to hide their internet address.

Third, it becomes a customer satisfaction and support nightmare when people are trying to run VoIP thru a 3rd party proxy or VPN, see the first point. It's better for the provider to be clear up front and simply prevent attempting to work thru known problem paths rather than have customers tie up support lines and post bad reviews because of poor call quality caused by their own paranoia.

Finally, there are some providers who will work with you if you have a legitimate reason.  Contact their support but expect to justify yourself and jump thru some additional hoops.  I'm not going to recommend anyone but you can look at broadbandreports.com for more information.

mmjj

Thank you for your response it is appreciated. i understand the issues that you brought up,but the fact is when you subscribe to a service you have to pay for their service so they will have all your personal info,otherwise credit co. wont authorize your payment, also when you purchase something they wont ask for your social security number or birth date.so i am still puzzled by some of them wanting your real ip. maybe is for their marketing purposes or....!