News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice - non gmail.com domain

Started by CelticComms, January 28, 2011, 02:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CelticComms

I have Google Voice on a non-gmail domain "mydomain.com". The GV account was originaly on a gmail.com account but was transferred. Both inbound and outbound calls work correctly in Gmail but when I try to set the OBi110 to use the corresponding login it ends up with a Status of "Connection Failed: Autentication error". A gmail.com account works correctly on the OBi110. Is there some subtle difference between how gmail.com and non-gmail.com users authenticate?

I have seen comments saying that Google doesn't offer the Call Phone feature in Gmail on non-gmail.com accounts - but it seems that they now do - at least on this migrated account.

OBi-Guru

Correct, the OBi110 unit supports only @gmail.com

MichiganTelephone

I'd suggest you open a new Gmail account strictly for Google Voice (in other words, DON'T plan on using it for actual e-mail traffic) and then if you want to keep your existing number, try using this form to move it to the new Gmail address:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=cjlWRDFTWERkZEIxUzVjSmNsN0ExU1E6MA

People have reported varying degrees of success using the above form, but it least it gives you a shot at keeping your number.  The form says it may take up to two weeks.  I've used it twice (two different accounts) and in one case it took ten days and in the other just under 24 hours, so I suspect they save them up and do a batch of them every couple of weeks.  I know a guy that's had a request pending for a week now and it hasn't happened yet, so maybe they will do another batch next week.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

CelticComms

Quote from: OBi-Guru on January 28, 2011, 05:21:14 PM
Correct, the OBi110 unit supports only @gmail.com

I guess my question is - why? The two styles are using similar protocols so what would be needed to support the non-gmail.com accounts? Is there a chance that non-gmail.com accounts will be supported soon?

CelticComms

Quote from: MichiganTelephone on January 28, 2011, 11:24:02 PM
I'd suggest you open a new Gmail account strictly for Google Voice (in other words, DON'T plan on using it for actual e-mail traffic) and then if you want to keep your existing number, try using this form to move it to the new Gmail address:

Technically it would work but having only recently moved the voice service to a non-gmail.com account I have no intention of moving it back. I have other ways of using the voice account from SIP devices but it would be nice to see the OBi device support non-gmail.com accounts - especially as I have bought 6 OBi110s so far!  :D

jimates

Using the OBi110 is the same as signing into gmail and using the talk feature. Basically it is the talk feature is what is supported by the OBi110, not all of GV. If we could place calls from our GV page then non gmail domain access would likely be possible.

You can access your gmail through your GOOGLE account by signing in with many of the non gmail addresses linked to your Google account. Once in your Google account you are basically already signed in to gmail so accessing the talk feature is automatic.

Your GV may be on a non gmail login now, but your GV number was previously associated with the gmail account. Once signed in at gmail you are automatically signed in to your GV. This is done by the number, not the sign in info.

If you had never had the GV number linked to gmail this would not be possible.

This is why the OBi device requires the completion of one phone call from within the talk feature of gmail.

CelticComms

Some incorrect assumptions in the above so let me give a simpler example.

"mydomain.com" is enabled as a Google Apps domain and is also set to be able to behave as a true Google account (they started offering this recently).

I create a new user "newuser@mydomain.com".  I go to Google Voice and login using "newuser@mydomain.com" and it asks me to select a number - which I do and then go to Gmail (still logged in as "newuser@mydomain.com"). The "Call" feature appears on the left hand side. I make a call. All works OK.

This account "newuser@mydomain.com" still doesn't work on the OBi110 even thought it can place and receive calls in Gmail and the GV feature has only ever been associated with the "newuser@mydomain.com" Google account.

jimates

I understand what you are saying, but the key is that the "talk feature" of GV is still bound to the gmail domain which is linked through your google account to your own domain.

No matter how you sign into google or your gmail, in the background it is the gmail domain that logs into google talk.

CelticComms

I don't see why there would be be any virtual xxxx@gmail.com address hanging around in the background. I see no evidence of it. Rather I think that the OBi110 implementation assumes that it is a gmail.com domain and isn't passing the cirrect info to the Google servers for it to work with a non gmail.com domain. It is now possible to use the service with a non-gmail.com domain on other platforms.

jimates

you said in your first post "A gmail.com account works correctly on the OBi110". So Obi isn't assuming anything. It passes through the info you provide, if the info is correct with what google uses, it works. If it isn't it doesn't work.

CelticComms

Not necessarily. e.g. if it doesn't pass the "@domain" part then gmail accounts would work but apps accounts would not.

interceptor3

I have the same problem as CelticComms.
I would also like to see Obi update the firmware to enable authentication from a Gapps account with a GV nubmer.
Google automatically offers a GV number to all Gapps email account holders. I've had mine for months and bought the OBi110 with the understanding that it would work with all GV numbers, not just those linked to gmail accounts.
I don't know the ins and outs of the authentication process required for Gapps GV numbers, but I would expect it's possible. Does the OBi110 firmware automatically assume '@gmail.com' ?

Can anyone from OBi chime in further?
Thanks,
-Mark

jimates

As i pointed out, it's not an Obi configuration, it is Google. The Obi works through Google Chat which is only available through a GMAIL account, not an apps account or a GV account. That is why it will work without even having a GV number.

From the Voxilla Configuration

The OBi works its connectivity magic with Google Voice through the XMPP open standards communications protocol (formerly known as "Jabber") employed by Google Talk, the company's IM chat offering. But Google Talk currently works only with Gmail accounts that end in "@gmail.com." So, if you're using Google Voice with a non Gmail address, or even a Google App domain hosted through Gmail, the easiest thing to do is to create a new Google Voice account, with a new incoming phone number.

unrequited

That's not completely true. Google Chat & Google Talk both work for my Google Apps for Domains account. Why can't my obihai?

biomesh

The article should state that the Obi110 currently only supports @gmail.com domains.

I think the request to add Google apps domains support has been made.  I'm not sure any additional discussion on the topic is needed.

jimates

Quote from: biomesh on February 16, 2011, 06:54:43 AM
The article should state that the Obi110 currently only supports @gmail.com domains.

I think the request to add Google apps domains support has been made.  I'm not sure any additional discussion on the topic is needed.

They want what they want, even though I have done all I can to show them that it is not an Obihai fix.

Once signed in to your google account, using whatever domain you choose, you can then access all your google items; including gmail chat. The Obi does not sign into your google account, it only signs into your gmail.

AndroidsOfTara

I, too, was disappointed to learn that my OBI110 can only use a @gmail.com account for GV and not a Google Apps account for GV.

I have had my GV / GrandCentral number for years and it is now part of my Google Apps domain. It is the only number most people have for me. I'm not about to get yet another GV / @gmail.com number to give out to people, nor do I want to move my GV number back out of my Google Apps domain after having just moved it into that domain (for unified contacts).

I was curious about what @jimates has been saying, so I did some testing.

First, I do *not* have a @gmail.com account. Before the recent move of my GV number into my Google Apps domain, I had a NON @gmail.com Google Account for GV.

Second, I signed into my Google Apps domain and successfully placed a number of calls using my GV number over the Gmail web interface using my computer's speakers and microphone.

I then installed a fresh copy of PIAF / Incredible PBX with support for GV using (I believe) the same method as the the OBI110. I fed it my Google Apps domain credentials and was soon making and receiving calls with my GV number with no issues using a PAP2T an an analog phone.

I found it interesting that PIAF / Incredible warns to only use a @gmail.com account. I didn't expect my Google Apps domain account to work, but was pleased that it did.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but all of this indicates to me that the OBI110 firmware is hard coded to use only a @gmail.com accounts.

I hope a future firmware upgrade will allow me to use my GV / Google Apps account as it would make this great device even better.

unrequited

Thank you for the additional testing, and I wish I had the extra hardware to use your solution, but I wish harder that I could use the Obi100 that I bought to do the same. I'm hoping somebody's reading this to put a fix in the works.

OBi-Guru

Obihai listens to you, and would like to invite users wishing to use a non-gmail account with GV to test out a beta firmware.
Please send email to support@obihai.com with your OBi number (200 xxx xxx), and you'd need to add your device on OBiTALK portal.

unrequited

Obihai you are awesome. Emailed my info and hope to get in on this beta and to provide my feedback. Thanks!