News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice - non gmail.com domain

Started by CelticComms, January 28, 2011, 02:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjrenaud

Jeff205

@OBi-Guru, I specifically asked if non-gmail.com domains would be supported in the future before I switched my numbers to a gmail.com account and you told me no.  I was content to wait so I could use it on my own domain.  Now I've made the switch an I have to support addresses outside my domain.  Not a huge deal, but it would have been nice to have it all in one place.  Now I have to switch it back if I want it on my domain?

RonR

Jeff205,

FWIW, it appears the only non-gmail.com accounts that work with the OBi110 (and I assume any XMPP-based interface) are those through Google Apps (or ones that have had a gmail.com email address added as the primary account).  There must be a gmail.com email address associated with the Google Voice account and a Google Chat entry in the Forwarding Phones list pointing to that gmail.com address.

OBi-Guru

@Jeff205: we have had a number successful users with non-gmail GV accounts running on OBi.   

Like what RonR points out, there is a bit of confusion of what constitutes non-gmail GV accounts that can work.    We are preparing a documentation to clarify when we post the new firmware release supporting this feature.
Meanwhile, if you already have your working gmail account - you can choose to stay with what's working.

Jeff205

@RonR: It is a Google Apps domain (how else could I have a GV number), but the gmail account associated is not the phone number I want to use for the business domain. Plus you can only associate one GV number to one mobile line and two numbers to a landline, so I had hit my max.  I'm sure there is a way around this, but at the moment I am maxed out.

I initially tried to setup my OBi with my Google Apps domain and it did not work.  I sent OBi-Guru a message and he told me it would not work without a gmail.com account.  I'm glad it appears to work now.  I'm simply stating the facts.  Don't get me wrong; I like my OBi and think they have very prompt customer service.  I was just trying to cover all of my basis, so I contacted a Guru who would know if it was forthcoming.  I was told "no" and three weeks later it's here.

rjrenaud

I just upgraded my firmware via obi talk and sending an email to support@Obihai.com.
They responded within minutes that the firmware was up dated. I simply added my full google apps email and password. Myname@my domain.com and password.

Picked up the phone made and received calls. At this point works perfectly!!!!!!!!

Please note my domain is on google apps with goole voice working from my mailbox. Can place a call from chat.

Thanks OBI and those on the forum who contributed

QBZappy

@Jeff205,

Hi,

"I was told "no" and three weeks later it's here."

In all fairness to Obi team the fact that three weeks later it was there shows how the guys at Obi turn on a dime to resolve issues. Don't forget they are still in a growth stage.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Jeff205

@Zappy:  If you read my entire post, you would see that I'm glad it works and I happy with the customer service.  I simply wanted to know beforehand if it was even in the works, then I would wait on it.  I had to wait two weeks on Google to transfer the number anyway (actually three).
Was I misled? Yes.  Was it intentional? No, I don't think so.  OBi-Guru has been giving all of us solid guidance from the start.

RonR

Quote from: Jeff205 on March 10, 2011, 02:20:59 PM@RonR: It is a Google Apps domain (how else could I have a GV number)
I've had a Google Voice number for years that isn't assoicated with Google Apps or any Gmail account.

Jeff205

GV is less than 2 years old according to them.  Regardless, it's a GV number.

OBi-Guru

A number of non-gmail GV users have confirmed that the beta firmware is working properly with their setup.

The beta firmware will eventually be released in the next couple of weeks, and this feature will be supported moving forward.

In the mean time, we are no longer able to support updating firmware for new beta users.  Please be patient and wait for the general release.  Thank you.

craigslist48335

OBI-guru, is there any update about this ?

obi-master

I got the new firmware 1.2 released yesterday and it says backing Off when I try to register a non gmail GV account

jimates

Mine works ok. I have one account with gmail and one with my domain, both have no issues.

obi-master

Quote from: jimates on March 23, 2011, 12:31:18 PM
Mine works ok. I have one account with gmail and one with my domain, both have no issues.

Did you have to do any settings? I reset my device but still doesn't work

jimates

I had a different google voice configured on sp2 so I deleted that one at the Obitalk dashboard and then entered the new info for the non gmail account.

i did try to change the log in info from within the device but it still called using the old number so I had to completely delete the old one and add the new one.

Dakota

After updating the firmware I still can't get my non gmail account to connect.  I get Backing Off instead of Connected.  I have a gmail account that works great but it's not the phone number I want to use.  After deleting the Service Provider 1 settings I went back and set up Google Voice with my non gmail account and then reset the obi110.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AndroidsOfTara

Quote from: Dakota on March 23, 2011, 03:20:37 PM
After updating the firmware I still can't get my non gmail account to connect.  I get Backing Off instead of Connected.  I have a gmail account that works great but it's not the phone number I want to use.

Are you using two-factor authentication on the non-Gmail based GV account?

Dakota

Quote from: AndroidsOfTara on March 23, 2011, 06:48:13 PM
Are you using two-factor authentication on the non-Gmail based GV account?

No