News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice - non gmail.com domain

Started by CelticComms, January 28, 2011, 02:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShermanObi

@Dakota:  Have you used the "Call phone" function from within Gmail mail client window associated with the non-Gmail username?  The Backing Off status typically indicates that the user has not yet done this.

obi-master

Quote from: ShermanObi on March 23, 2011, 07:41:43 PM
@Dakota:  Have you used the "Call phone" function from within Gmail mail client window associated with the non-Gmail username?  The Backing Off status typically indicates that the user has not yet done this.

how can you do that? Mine is just a GV account with an yahoo address. I can't login to gmail for making calls.

jimates

how can you do that? Mine is just a GV account with an yahoo address. I can't login to gmail for making calls.

This thread could be misleading.

Using the Obi & Google Voice with a non gmail.com domain refers specifically to those people that have their own domains registered to a Google Apps account. Those domains have email accounts at Google that look and act the same as Gmail but the log in credentials are @mydomain.com, not @gmail.com.
These email accounts have the Google Chat feature also, and interact with a Google Voice account the same as a Gmail account does.

Previous firmware versions for the Obi did not support log in credentials other than @gmail.com. That is what this thread, and others, were referring to when the non gmail.com domain term is used. This is no longer an issue since it was addressed in recent firmware updates.

If you are not in the group referenced above, and are using a Google Voice account with log in credentials other than @gmail.com, you will need to set up a Gmail account in order to use your Google Voice number with the Obi.   Do not go to Google and set up Gmail separate from your existing Google Account

See this post http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=62.msg716#msg716
Part 2 pertains to users with an existing GV number but no Gmail.

Dakota

Quote from: jimates on March 24, 2011, 04:48:33 AM

See this post http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=62.msg716#msg716

Part 2 pertains to users with an existing GV number but no Gmail.

Followed the directions above and it seem to work. I'm at work so I can't try and dial out but I did get "Connected" in the Obi Talk page.

I just noticed that my Google account now has the new gmail address I had to create as the primary email address with no way to change back to my original address as primary.  Not what I wanted to do anyone know how to reverse the action?

jimates

Quote from: Dakota on March 24, 2011, 10:13:08 AM
Followed the directions above and it seem to work. I'm at work so I can't try and dial out but I did get "Connected" in the Obi Talk page.

I just noticed that my Google account now has the new gmail address I had to create as the primary email address with no way to change back to my original address as primary.  Not what I wanted to do anyone know how to reverse the action?

During the gmail creation process it specifically told you that the new email would become your primary google id. And in my guide I also stated this.

After you complete this sign-up process, your primary username will be yourusername@gmail.com. The original email address associated with your account will become your alternate email address, which means you can use it to sign in if it was verified before adding Gmail. You won't be able to change your primary username once Gmail is added.

You can still use your old email as your log in. You don't have to use your new gmail email to log in at all if you don't want. DO NOT DELETE YOUR OLD EMAIL IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE TO USE IT.

What concerns do you have that you want to reverse it?

If you want to you can delete the old email from your Google account and then use it again to create a new Google account. Of course any account settings, additions and your google voice account you had prior will be left with the new gmail address account.

Dakota

Quote from: jimates on March 24, 2011, 11:04:05 AM
What concerns do you have that you want to reverse it?

That google account was the account I have always used for google checkout.  All of my purchase history is in that account and I don't what to have to check another email account to get notifications.  Not sure if it will send to both email accounts.  Anyway I have requested google move my phone number to a google account that I had set up about a year ago and I will start using that account for all my google stuff.

jimates

You can set your gmail to forward all or some of your mail. You can also set up gmail as a pop or imap account with another email client.

ShermanObi

Web Page: Getting Started & Troubleshooting Tips with Google Voice™

Document: OBi Device Set-Up for Google Voice™ Using the OBiTALK Portal

This document includes:
- Setting up an OBi on OBiTALK
- Configuring voice services, e.g. Google Voice, using the OBiTALK portal-based device configuration helper
- Troubleshooting the OBi Device Set-Up for Google Voice
  - Making Calls
  - Receiving Calls
  - Using Non '@gmail' Usernames
  - Using Google 2-Step Verification
  - OBiTALK Status Indications when Using Google Voice on an OBi Device

CelticComms

As the OP on this thread I am very happy to see that the issue was addressed fairly quickly!  :)  :)  :)

I have non-gmail (Google Apps) addresses working on a  couple of OBi110s now and will be ordering half a dozen OBi100s tomorrow.

OBIHAI's responsiveness and technical competence puts some other companies to shame!!!

EOC_Jason

I too am happy to see how quickly google apps support was addressed. All I had to do was upgrade my google apps account and then I could configure the obi properly. These little boxes are awesome. :)

davestein

As I got to the end of this thread, I thought there was a promise of an answer, but the documents referred to tell me that as a former Grand Central customer without a gmail account attached to my Google Voice account that I am unable to use the OBi service to use my Google Voice number on this account.

Is there a workaround in progress? Is there anything I can do on the Google account end to get this working? I'm not ready to give up this google voice number nor move it to a Gmail account for this number.

Thanks in advance for any help.

OBi-Guru

@davestein:  you don't need to give up your GV number from the original GrandCentral.  You do need to create a gmail account that would link up to your original non-gmail GV account.

Check out this FAQ: http://www.obihai.com/googlevoiceFAQ.html#09

mike142

Google has modified the apps account to consolidate - mine @domain account seems to work out of the box with my obi100 now.

radparker

Quote from: mike142 on May 24, 2011, 12:37:10 PM
Google has modified the apps account to consolidate - mine @domain account seems to work out of the box with my obi100 now.

Same here, I tried my OBi100 with my Google Apps account and it worked just fine. Though we still did register a new Google Voice account and number for use with the OBi. My thought there is that a dedicated Gmail account is less likely to have any sort of status conflict since multiple users won't be logged into the Gmail account at the same time. I read some people saying that the OBi didn't always ring and I theorized that perhaps Gmail was confused as to which logged in user to present the call to, if you're in a Gmail account at the same time the OBi device is.