News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Which service do I port my main (home) number too?

Started by RichP, December 04, 2013, 11:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichP

Noob question..   I am going to use Anveo as my incoming voice, e911, and faxing  and use Localphone ($.005 per minute) for my outgoing voice.   I am assuming I should port my number to Anveo??

If so, will I be able to set a caller Id alias for my out going Localphone account?
???

sdb-

Yes, I am doing exactly that and it works great.

As soon as you can answer calls to the incoming number, you can add it to Localphone.  They will call it to verify you can get calls there, and then you will be able to select it as your outgoing CID.  You can even start doing that before you port, if you can currently answer that number.

I ported my number to Anveo about a month ago with their "no porting fee if prepaying 12 months of the $2/month plan" offer.  Slick as can be.

RichP

Quote from: sdb- on December 04, 2013, 10:08:58 PM

As soon as you can answer calls to the incoming number, you can add it to Localphone.  They will call it to verify you can get calls there, and then you will be able to select it as your outgoing CID.  You can even start doing that before you port, if you can currently answer that number.

I ported my number to Anveo about a month ago with their "no porting fee if prepaying 12 months of the $2/month plan" offer.  Slick as can be.

Thanks SDB.  Just wanted to verify that there is a way to have outgoing calls through LoacalPhone show up on the recipient's caller ID with the number I port to Anveo?

jjk99

Are  you guys changing to Anveo due to the GV going away issue?  How did you choose Anveo?

Any idea where to get the latest on what Obi is doing to address the GV isssue?  I wish they had a seperate subforum for that topic?

thanks

sdb-

Quote from: RichP on December 05, 2013, 07:07:38 AM
Thanks SDB.  Just wanted to verify that there is a way to have outgoing calls through LoacalPhone show up on the recipient's caller ID with the number I port to Anveo?

Quote from: sdb- on December 04, 2013, 10:08:58 PM

As soon as you can answer calls to the incoming number, you can add it to Localphone.  They will call it to verify you can get calls there, and then you will be able to select it as your outgoing CID.

RichP

Quote from: jjk99 on December 06, 2013, 06:48:23 AM
Are  you guys changing to Anveo due to the GV going away issue?  How did you choose Anveo?

Any idea where to get the latest on what Obi is doing to address the GV isssue?  I wish they had a seperate subforum for that topic?

thanks

jjk99,

I am new to these type of SIP services. I have had VOIP many years now but that doesn't really require any configurations other than just plug in the company's VOIP box.

I am moving from traditional voip to SIP so I did not have GV set as a SIP incoming and outgoing.

I did alot of research and found Anveo to have the best price and features.  Their personal use unlimited plan is unlimited incoming calls along with incoming faxes to your email for $2.00 a month plus $0.80 per month for e911 service.  Then I will use voipbuster.com  which is free, for all of my outgoing calls. Check out their website.

sdb-

Quote from: jjk99 on December 06, 2013, 06:48:23 AM

I chose Anveo because 1) I do not trust porting my landline number to GV so there was NO reason to jump thru any hoops to do it, 2) it was only $24 to port to Anveo and have unlimited incoming for a full year, and 3) E911 is only $0.80/month.  So for under $36 I have covered all my incoming calls and have E911 for a full year.

GV may or may not be going away, but using with the OBi is going away according to the only official word I have seen.

I have seen rumors (Obihai reportedly told someone who told...) that says Obihai is working on a solution to use Hangouts.  Technically that should be possible so I believe it could happen.  Until I see it happen I am making my own plans. (I am a firmware engineer. I have personally experienced multiple times in the past year where concrete plans with a 3rd party have fallen thru. It happens.)

jjk99

Thank you both for the great answers.  I appreciate it.

gderf

Quote from: sdb- on December 06, 2013, 07:01:44 AM
GV may or may not be going away, but using with the OBi is going away according to the only official word I have seen.

Not correct. Directly connecting to the OBi will be going away. But this does not mean you can't continue to use GV with your OBi.

Incoming GV calls forwarded to a DID will still ring your OBi and you can get a free DID for this use.

Callbacks to your DID can be used to initiate outbound calls using GV.

Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

sdb-

Quote from: gderf on December 06, 2013, 09:20:50 AM
Quote from: sdb- on December 06, 2013, 07:01:44 AM

Not correct. Directly connecting to the OBi will be going away. But this does not mean you can't continue to use GV with your OBi.

Semantics.  Today the OBi is doing google voice (and likely google knows an OBi is connecting) using the google Jingle extension to XMPP, unlike any other ATA I know of.  Obihai's statement said they will no longer be able to do that ca. 14May2014.

In your scenario google voice is only interfacing with the PSTN, the OBi would have no idea google voice was involved, does not need to do anything special for google voice, and any other way of answering a phone call would do just as well as the Obi.