News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi Devices , Possibilities & Selection help please

Started by realjohny, November 29, 2014, 07:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjohny

Hello everyone,

I have been reading about Obi devices & wondering if this can meet my VoIP requirement in a VoIP blocked area.

Device Options:

-- Will Obi200 with ObiLine will provide me exactly same functionality as that of Obi110 ?

-- Will not ObiBT and OBiLine provide the same purpose if I have a mobile phone connected to ATA via BT ?  What would be the difference ?

--I want to carry minimal hardware so Obi200 with Wifi, BT and functionality of Obi110 with a ObiLine or BT will be great.

--In most complicated scenario if I call from:

Mobile Phone....>Home PSTN line connected to Obi-A .....>and call diverted via Home Obi-A to ......Obi-B in remote location with PSTN line-B..............Will this be possible giving me a dial tone to dial any number?

Similarly if I get a call on remote PSTN line-B , can this be diverted via remote Obi-B to Obi -A and then dial my mobile using connected PSTN line with Obi ATA-A ? Can I achieve this ?

I actually want to use remote PSTN line using two Obi devices...and then want all calls on remote PSTN to unconditionally divert to my mobile. So I plan to have two Obi Devices and currently have two PSTN lines.

TLS protocol..possible?

In this area I have successfully used TLS with AntiSIP on 9081. Skype is also allowed. I also have GV but how can I easily use Obi Device over TLS or with GV overcoming the blockage ?

Please help to decide.

Mango

Quote from: realjohny on November 29, 2014, 07:52:27 AM-- Will Obi200 with ObiLine will provide me exactly same functionality as that of Obi110 ?

Theoretically yes, though the OBiLINE has received mediocre reception in the industry.  Many users report poor audio quality.  If you do decide to try it, please come back and let us know how it performs for you.

azrobert

Quote-- Will Obi200 with ObiLine will provide me exactly same functionality as that of Obi110 ?
Yes, but some people have reported an echo using Obiline.
Do a forum search with "obiline echo".

Quote-- Will not ObiBT and OBiLine provide the same purpose if I have a mobile phone connected to ATA via BT ?  What would be the difference ?
See my next answer.

QuoteMobile Phone....>Home PSTN line connected to Obi-A .....>and call diverted via Home Obi-A to ......Obi-B in remote location with PSTN line-B..............Will this be possible giving me a dial tone to dial any number?
You would route calls over the OBiTalk network to the other OBi.
Using OBiline you can get dial tone on the PSTN-B and then dial a number.
I don't know how to get dial tone on BT/mobile.
You could route the call to the Auto Attendant on OBi-B and then call out BT.

QuoteSimilarly if I get a call on remote PSTN line-B , can this be diverted via remote Obi-B to Obi -A and then dial my mobile using connected PSTN line with Obi ATA-A ? Can I achieve this ?
Yes, but you will see the PSTN CallerID on your mobile and not the original inbound CallerID.
You could route the call via SIP to a softphone on your mobile and preserve the original CallerID.

QuoteTLS protocol..possible?
In this area I have successfully used TLS with AntiSIP on 9081. Skype is also allowed. I also have GV but how can I easily use Obi Device over TLS or with GV overcoming the blockage ?
Don't know.

drgeoff

A mobile phone connected via Bluetooth to an OBi gives you the equivalent functionality to a PSTN line on an OBi. You can make or receive calls using the wired phone on the OBi which go out or come in over the mobile network. And the AA can use the mobile network as source or destination when routeing calls.

You never actually hear "dial tone" on a mobile network but that is irrelevant here.

azrobert

Maybe I wasn't clear with my answer, so here is a more detail explanation.
When you want to use BT as an outbound trunk when transferring an inbound call from OBi-A to OBi-B you must use the Auto Attendant. The AA is an IVR function on the OBi. When routed to the AA you will hear a welcome message then a prompt "Enter 1 to continue the call, 2 to make a new call, 3 for a callback". You would enter "2" then you will get another prompt "Enter the number followed by a #".

You can be routed directly to a PSTN line without the AA and get dial tone then dial the outbound number.

giqcass

The Obi does provide TLS settings.  They are under the ITSP SIP Settings.  There are also settings to change the port number.  Common SIP ports are often blocked.  People have successfully used the Obitalk network to connect to a remote Obi and bypass a block on SIP.  Others have used Google Voice in areas where SIP is blocked.

There are options that would also allow you to use Skype with an Obi as well but most of those will cause you to lose incoming Caller ID.  A Freetalk1200 connected to an Obi110 or Obi200 with Obiline for example. 
Long live our new ObiLords!