News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi products vs Magic Jack+ ?

Started by A_jr, December 14, 2013, 08:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_jr

I came across the OBi products while looking online for information on Magic Jack+, (because, I have no land line, but I do have a cable internet connection so I can get a phone number and VOIP service with Magic Jack+?) But, I also have a basic, freebe, Google voice mail number. So, if I understand, the OBi 202 can connect to my internet connection that I can then connect a regular phone to and use my Google number to make send and receive calls without paying for a monthly or annual service from Magic Jack, Anveo, Callcentric...is that right?

azrobert

That is correct until May 15th. At that time Google will drop support for XMPP which is the protocol the OBi uses to communicate with GoogleVoice.

You will still be able to initiate a call from a PC when signed on to GV. GV will call your DID and after you answer, GV will complete the outbound call.

See:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6867.0

A_jr

A_jr

Then, MagicJack+ might be an simpler and cheaper solution?

giqcass

Quote from: A_jr on December 21, 2013, 08:42:42 AM
Then, MagicJack+ might be an simpler and cheaper solution?

Overall Magic Jack is a good product for many people but they have the worst customer support in the business.

Please do some more research on Magic Jack.  You may find it's not quite as cheap as you think.  911 is no longer free and in some places it cost as much as $60 per year.  Service without 911 now cost $29 per year.  So Magic Jack can cost as much as $90 per year plus tax for basic service.  That is still a good price but like I said do a little research before you buy it.  Magic Jack also charges extra to call certain US destinations and some have said certain areas are even blocked.  This does not affect most areas.  You may actually want to Google the terms magicjack and your area code to see if you live in one of the problem areas.

Should you decide to buy a Magic Jack the 2011 MJ+ is being sold at closeout prices right now to make room for the 2014 version.  The 2011 MJ+ version comes with 1 year service.  The 2014 version come with 6 months service.  The Wifi ability they keep bragging about for the 2014 version does not exist yet and it may require an extra purchase.
Long live our new ObiLords!

sdb-

A MagicJack is simpler. And they bundle it all up for you so it usually works and you pay for the convenience.

An OBi is more flexible and can be cheaper phone service, but might take more learning and time to make it work the way you like.  But you can make it work the way you like, instead of the way MJ likes.

I recommend an OBi now and use it with google voice while it lasts.  4 months of service is worth $12 of MJ service, right?

I still have hope that Obihai will come up with a way to continue using GV.

If they don't, I'm pretty happy with localphone.  Outgoing calls to the US48 at $0.005/minute.  I have not purchased an incoming phone number from them, it looks like $3 setup then $0.99/month would provide a U.S. number.  Instead I use a free IPKall number (WA state), which uses SIP to connect with localphone for free incoming calls and I forward my GV number to my IPKall number.

If you sign up with localphone you can add your google voice number (they will call it to verify) and then set your localphone outgoing caller-ID to your GV number.

P.S. you can also use localphone with wifi or 3g/4g data on your phone...

A_jr

Thanks sdb- and glqcass,  Good information to have and consider.