News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI110 in India

Started by andy222, February 02, 2013, 04:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy222

Hi all,
I have obi110 here is USA and using it from last two years. I am planning to visit India for few weeks and I will be working from there. I would like to know if I can carry my OBI device to India and if I set it up on the internet line as what I have done here, will it work without any configuration changes?
I am completely new to the configuration and since I bought the obi device and setup the GV on it, I haven't modified any configurations to it. So you can imagine, how much I know about configuration changes. I read the post before posting it and people wanted to configure it on their PSTN line and I don't want to do that. I want to use it from there and bring it back with me.
If someone have used it the way I want to use, I also would like to know how is the call quality from India to USA and vice versa.
I will have to dial-in to lot of conferences where it needs to have better call quality.

I appreciate you all for your help.

Felix

The problem isn't as much with the device itself. Google Voice formally doesn't work from other countries. However, in reality it works most of the time in most of the places (I know, it's not very helpful). But as a fallback solution, I would set up an account with another, SIP PAYG provider. For example, Call with us calls to toll-free numbers are free... (it's not a paid plug, I am sure other providers have something similar :) )

andy222

Thanks Felix for the response.
What are the other SIP providers and how I would setup them as seconddary.
Can I take backup of my current configuration? because, after coming back to USA, I want that GV setup back. I don't want to mess with the device.

azrobert

I used CallWithUs before switching to GV. Their voice quality was very good and their current rate for the U.S.A. is $.0095 per minute.

I assume you have GV on SP1 and the format for outbound numbers is 14805551212. You would setup CallWithUs or another provider on SP2 and when you dial a number like 24805551212 it would go out SP2 as 14805551212. This way the OBi110 would function the same way as now when you use GV and you would prefix the number with "2" when you want to use the alternate provider.

If you get the OBi110 working like this here it should work the same in India, except you might have to make network changes to connect to a different router.

You can take a backup of the configuration, but a backup does not save passwords and after a restore you would have to add all your passwords.

I would think the major factor with call quality in India would be the quality of the internet service provider you use there.

Edit:
It would take about 5 config changes to setup the alternate provider and 2 more to define the routing. It would be very easy to do.

gurugopal

Quote from: andy222 on February 02, 2013, 04:00:11 AM
Hi all,
I have obi110 here is USA and using it from last two years. I am planning to visit India for few weeks and I will be working from there. I would like to know if I can carry my OBI device to India and if I set it up on the internet line as what I have done here, will it work without any configuration changes?
I am completely new to the configuration and since I bought the obi device and setup the GV on it, I haven't modified any configurations to it. So you can imagine, how much I know about configuration changes. I read the post before posting it and people wanted to configure it on their PSTN line and I don't want to do that. I want to use it from there and bring it back with me.
If someone have used it the way I want to use, I also would like to know how is the call quality from India to USA and vice versa.
I will have to dial-in to lot of conferences where it needs to have better call quality.
I appreciate you all for your help.

yes I am using it from India.  I configured google voice and able to call any phone in USA and Canada without any problem.