News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV ends May 15, 2013 - Choices after that?

Started by thelad, December 29, 2013, 05:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thelad

I am a very infrequent user of the forum, but I think I have now read all the posts on the couple of threads on this topic.  I am willing to volunteer to maintain/update a table that summarizes the choices we OBI users have when GV pulls the plug.  I am a casual user (just OBI and GV with no other services), so I freely admit that my starter attached needs a lot of work.  If you post a reply with additional information or suggest additional parameters to consider, I will update the table and repost.

giqcass

First recommendation.  Save the table in the old excel format so users without excel can open it more easily or host it on Google Drive with read only access.  Then others can simply click the link to the always up to date file and they need no special software to read it.

You could add Sipsorcery and callcentric  to the list.  Localphone does allow spoofing.  Some people on here will whine if you call it spoofing so you might want to call it "Custom outbound CID" or call it "spoof verified numbers".  

Block unknown callers
Call screening
Voicemail
Voicemail to text
IVR
Skype calling
SMS inbound outbound or SMS to email
Long live our new ObiLords!

thelad

I have updated the spreadsheet with your comments and saved as EXCEL 97 format. 

It is stored in EXCEL 97 format on google drive at:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUBiReFvT7gbkdPUk9oeTZWbkE/edit?usp=sharing

I have also printed it to a PDF file at:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUBiReFvT7gblVpdktyM0VBeUE/edit?usp=sharing

Please let me know if that works.

Any additional input from viewers to fill out the table?

giqcass

Looks good so far.

Sipsorcery.  
Free incoming and outgoing calls with Google Voice.  
Base service with no calls $69 per year.
Multiple GV accounts supported.
Up to 3 simultaneous calls per account.
Will continue to work with GV after May 15 2014
911 not supported
Community Forums Support
Incoming calls free.
Free outgoing Calls to US and Canada with GV
CNAM can be integrated with Google Contacts and whitepages.
Custom outbound caller ID no
Whitelist Blacklist yes.
Can be used with or without Obi.
Free with same sip provider and almost any other sip provider.

Note:More difficult to set up advanced features. Incoming DID must be purchased elsewhere.

dircom

Is there a "Sipcorcery Guide for Dummies" ?

also, if you use Sipcorcery, is there incoming / outgoing CNAM?

giqcass

There is a guide for Sipsorcery but it isn't a "dummies" guide..  I have considered making a video to help with it or a tutorial with pictures.  Outgoing Caller Id depends on the service you use with Sipsorcery.  It's a little bit like a cloud Obi device.  It only works with other services.  Google Voice gives you outbound caller ID.  For people to see your CNAM you may need to list yourself in the various directories.

Incoming Caller numbers show up automatically.  For incoming CNAM you must modify the incoming dial plan and tell Sipsorcery where to get the info.  Most people get it from their Google Contacts or whitepages.  Both options are free.

Anyone that understands Obi dial plans with have a step up when it comes to setting up Sipsorcery.  The possible configuration are too many to explain here but there are a few people here that can help and plenty on the Sipsorcery forum.

Perhaps I can write some type of wizard to create basic dial plans that you can cut and paste for simplicity.

Official Sipsorcery Google Voice set up

My Google Voice Sipsorcery setup thred

Meats

Quote from: thelad on December 30, 2013, 04:57:55 AM

It is stored in EXCEL 97 format on google drive at:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUBiReFvT7gbkdPUk9oeTZWbkE/edit?usp=sharing

I have also printed it to a PDF file at:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUBiReFvT7gblVpdktyM0VBeUE/edit?usp=sharing

Please let me know if that works.

Any additional input from viewers to fill out the table?

Awesome work so far, I plan on checking that document frequently moving forward. I dont know if this is possible, but can you repeat the column headers on each page?

gderf

Include a link to OBi's answer, perhaps waiting until there is more detail.

http://blog.obihai.com/
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

mo832

Under the heading "not using Obi", I would add NetTalk, with GV as the virtual number, forwarded to the new DID assigned by NetTalk.

sdb-

Quote from: thelad on December 30, 2013, 04:57:55 AM

Looking good!

Quote from: Meats on January 01, 2014, 07:20:47 AM
I dont know if this is possible, but can you repeat the column headers on each page?

Maybe lock the headers so they don't scroll?

Quote from: giqcass on December 29, 2013, 05:46:32 PMLocalphone does allow spoofing.  Some people on here will whine if you call it spoofing so you might want ...

Thanks giqcass!  ;)