News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Chat not showing up

Started by Yarrow, December 30, 2013, 12:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yarrow

Google Chat isn't showing up as a forwarding option on the GV forwarding page, and, presumably because of that, the obi phone doesn't ring when I try dialing the number. Help!

N7AS

In order for Chat to show up, you must make a call from the gmail account associated with your GV number. You don't have to talk to anyone. Just make sure the call is answered.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

Yarrow

I tried that. It routed the call through the cell phone that I have listed, which it won't yet let me delete, and Google Chat still didn't show up.

Frustrated! :(

gderf

Did you login to gmail from a PC with speakers and a microphone (or a headset) and make the call there?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

Yarrow

I logged in from a MacBook Pro with built-in speakers and a built-in microphone. Thank you for helping me troubleshoot this.

gderf

Yarrow

No; It routed the call through the cell phone that I have listed, which it won't yet let me delete, and Google Chat still didn't show up.

gderf

I don't think you understand what it is you have to do to get this to work. Or you aren't clearly saying you have tried what I suggested.

You have to log in to Gmail, https://mail.google.com (not Google Voice) with your Gmail username and password.

Once logged into Gmail from a machine that has speakers & microphone (or headset) you have to place a phone call to someone from within Gmail. It doesn't matter who you call. There is no call forwarding or routing involved with this. When you click on handset icon in the lower left part of the screen, a dial pad will appear.

Have you done exactly this yet?

sdb-

To add one item to gderf's excellent instruction, from gmail chat you do not call your gvoice number.

From gmail you must call some other number (like your cell phone, a friend, a time of day or weather forecast number, etc.).

Yarrow

Previously, I did this from Google Voice, but now I have done it from Gmail with much the same result. There was no handset, but a space into which to type the number. I entered my cell number and called. It was direct, as you described, but GoogleChat did not appear afterwards as a forwarding option. I made a second call from Gmail, and GoogleChat still did not appear as a forwarding option. When I then tried to call my GV number from my cell, it rang on the computer, but not on the phone connected to obihai.

Yarrow

Okay, I've played with this some more and made it work for one of my google voice numbers, but still not for one of them. I seem to have 4 different situations for 4 different GV numbers.

The first one simply worked with obi, without my having to do anything. Perhaps I had previously made a phone call from gmail. In any event, it's up and running.

The third also simply worked with obi, but has vanished from GV. It's working with obi as if it were a GV number, which it is, but the number doesn't show up on Google, which invites me to add a number. I wonder whether that will eventually cause problems. Any thoughts on this?

The fourth worked exactly per your instructions. The gmail screen looked like this.

The second, however, under that same "compose" menu in gmail, gives a list of options, followed by
a horizontal line, under which is the user name, and then under that is a rectangular box with the words "New Hangout" to the left and a telephone icon to the right. Clicking on the telephone icon here produces a new box with a flag on the left and the words "Name, number" on the right. I entered a number here and was able to make a phone call, but it went via hangouts, not via chat, which must be why Google Chat did not show up there.

gderf

It will not work with Hangouts enabled. Switch that account back to Chat:

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3115176?hl=en

Yarrow

Aha! Okay, trying that now. Success!!

Any idea what's up with the GV number that works on the obi but doesn't show up in Google? I just want to make sure I don't lose the number. Also, that number doesn't connect directly; when I pick up the phone on the obi, a recording asks me to press 1 to accept the call.

gderf

GV numbers that work on the OBi but don't show up in Google may mean that you are not logged into the account associated with the number. Are you sure you are logging in with the correct ID?

You'll have to look around in your GV settings to see why that prompt to accept the call is activated.

Yarrow

No, when I am signed in with that account the lower left hand corner where the number should appear instead has "Get a Voice number." Weird...

gderf

Get a voice number means there is no number linked to that account. How many numbers and how many accounts do you have?

Yarrow

I have 5 google accounts, one of which I have allowed my daughter to commandeer and which has no number. The other four have numbers, and I have described the status of each to you. The currently misbehaving one shows up in the obi dashboard as connected through google, and when I call it from a cell, the obi phone rings. If I don't pick up, I get the message that I recorded on GV. The email with the voicemail comes to the recovery email account rather than the regular email account associated with that number. So if this number has come unlinked, how is it that obihai hooked it up to the phone, such that it rings? Or is that just because it's forwarding there? But if the latter, then why does it appear as connected on the obi dashboard? And what can I do about it?

gderf

I have no other ideas as to why you are seeing what you are seeing or how to solve it.

sdb-

The account with no google voice number and the "Get a Voice number" means you lost that number. To verify, try to call that number from your cell or other independent line.

Calls can go out via chat without a GV number.  (To the recipient they show up as some generic CID.)

I've heard of this happening.  I don't recall any authoritative reason for why a number might be lost.

Perhaps if it did not have a regular phone number associated with the account?
Maybe no recent incoming calls?

If it has not been reassigned, perhaps "Get a Voice number" will allow you to select it again.

Yarrow

Actually, I goofed; it turns out that this was on a different Google account than the one I thought, so I had to transfer it to the one where it should have been (basically, I apparently got the number before the email, not vice versa, as I had supposed). Now it's working, and I'm on to the next problem, which is getting 911 service, obviously not from Google. Work in progress...