News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Buying today - Options

Started by MikeHObi, January 07, 2014, 12:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeHObi

My mother who is in her late 60's is looking to cut expenses but would prefer to keep a handset rather than rely on a cell phone.  She finds cell phones too confusing and isn't confident in using them.

I have an Obi202 personally but I think that is more than she would need.  Should I go with just an Obi100 or is that likely to be too close to end of life as far as support and I should look instead at the Obi200?  She will be going straight VOIP, with no land line connection.

Thanks.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

carl

I do not see any end of support for obi 100.

dircom

another reason to keep a "landline" be it copper/coax/voip is that call quality is usually better than cell phones

and speaking from experience, your hearing doesn't get better with age  :(

MikeHObi

Quote from: dircom on January 07, 2014, 06:19:32 PM
another reason to keep a "landline" be it copper/coax/voip is that call quality is usually better than cell phones

and speaking from experience, your hearing doesn't get better with age  :(

While I have not noticed an issue with overall voice quality on the cell phone, it is true that a reasonable quality handset usually will have a better earpiece than many cell phones have.

sdb-

Quote from: MikeHObi on January 08, 2014, 03:04:35 PMWhile I have not noticed an issue with overall voice quality on the cell phone, it is true that a reasonable quality handset usually will have a better earpiece than many cell phones have.

And cell phone codecs are not the greatest no matter what you use for mic/ear. Landline is typically g711 and you can often use that for VoIP (typically can if you have any say in the matter).

And some cell phones are better than others.  My brother recently upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a Nexus 5 and he comes thru a lot more clearly now than before.  And he is still calling from the same car with the same in-car bluetooth hands free setup.

MikeHObi

Nexus 5 should support both AT&T and T-Mobiles "HD Voice" which should provide improved call clarity.

MikeHObi

purchased and received an obi100.  Probably going to add the line through CallCentric as a sub account on my account I already have and then add a outgoing rate plan for Callcentric.  I'll start with pay per call for both incoming and outgoing and see where that ends up after a couple months. If it works well I'll end up using this for my outgoing calls when GV integration goes away.