News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice voicemail issue

Started by Johnny, April 20, 2011, 04:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny

Hello all,

I have my Obi110 set up with GV as SP1 and Callcentric as SP2.

In my GV online account I have my GV number set to ring my home phone/pots line, and my cell, and Obi110/google chat phone.

Yesterday I received a wrong number/spam call from out of state and they left a message.  The message was left on my land line phones answering machine instead of my GV voice mail.  How is that possible?

The call was placed to my GV number and not my land line number.  Why didn't it go directly to my GV voice mail?  Why would my answering machine on the pots line come into play?

I do not have anything connected to the Obi110 "line" port, if that matters.

Thanks

geobernd

Since you have GV set to ring you POTS line and Obi/Google chat it sounds to me that your POTS answering machine was simply faster. Raise the number of rings before pickup to be higher than what GV Voicemail does and it should be fine.

RonR

Quote from: Johnny on April 20, 2011, 04:51:35 AMYesterday I received a wrong number/spam call from out of state and they left a message.  The message was left on my land line phones answering machine instead of my GV voice mail.  How is that possible?

The call was placed to my GV number and not my land line number.  Why didn't it go directly to my GV voice mail?  Why would my answering machine on the pots line come into play?

|
|
|
V

Quote from: Johnny on April 20, 2011, 04:51:35 AMIn my GV online account I have my GV number set to ring my home phone/pots line, and my cell, and Obi110/google chat phone.

Johnny

geobernd,

Thanks for the tip.  I will try that and see what happens.
I just assumed all calls made to my GV number would be routed to my GV voice mail no matter what the set up.

RonR,

Thanks, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say?

RonR

Quote from: Johnny on April 20, 2011, 11:16:35 AMRonR,

Thanks, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say?

You seemed surprised that your home phone/pots line would ring and possibly be answered by the answering machine there after stating you have your GV number set to ring your home phone/pots line.

Maybe you're not aware that Google Voice simultaneously calls all the phones you have selected in your Google Voice account and that the first one to answer gets the incoming call.  If the answering machine on your phone/pots line takes the call before 25 seconds have elapsed, Google Voice sees that something/someone answered your phone/pots line and is out of the picture.  If none of the called phones answer after 25 seconds, Google Voice voicemail takes the call.

Johnny

RonR,

Gotcha.  I think this may have been the first time though, that a GV call was picked up by my pots line phone answering machine.

I could be wrong about that.

I'll do as geobernd suggested and up the ring count on the answering machine.

Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Thanks again guys.

jimates

some answering machine settings change the ring count once a message is on the machine.

example: ring count set to 4, but after a message is left on the machine the ring count for succeeding calls may drop to 2 rings. It has been a long time since I used a answering machine but I think it is called "toll saver".