News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Where can I find info on privacy and security policies for the Obi devices?

Started by drkan, January 12, 2014, 07:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drkan

Hi

I would like to read about the the privacy and the security policies that cover the Obi devices (not the web site), but I cannot find anywhere. Is there such a document at all? I would like to know how the personally privacy is protected with these devices and regarding the network connections they use.

Are the security and the privacy any better or worse than telco providers?

thanks

giqcass

Since there have been no replies I'll do my best to field this.  This has been discussed in the past with no satisfactory answer.  It depends on how you plan to set up the system on whether ObiHai the company has any of your info at all.  ObiHai will not have access to payment data for any reason unless you give it to them.  The info they do have will likely be stored on Amazon AWS.  The device can be remotely accessed by ObiHai unless you lock it down. I consider your data fairly safe but this is not the device for the paranoid.  The nature of the device makes it less secure simply because it is intended to be used with multiple services.  That means multiple people have your info.  It's difficult to compare ObHai security with a Telco because one Telco will differ from the next.  The most important way to protect yourself is make sure you do not share passwords between accounts and put the device behind a firewall.  Example: Don't use your banking password for your sip accounts. 
Long live our new ObiLords!