News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obihai Google Voice XMPP Solutions

Started by simpleAnswers, January 12, 2014, 08:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koby

I just mentioned this in a different thread but what the heck.  See a blog post entitled "How it used to be done: How to use Google Voice for free outgoing calls on an Asterisk/FreePBX system (the no-XMPP way)" which shows how to implement the callback method in Asterisk.  Since it's pretty easy nowadays to set up a functional Asterisk PBX on a miniscule computer (see "Asterisk for Raspberry Pi", "Asterisk for BeagleBone Black"), that might be an option as long as you are willing to invest a little time in learning how to configure FreePBX.

But be aware Google could pull the plug on the callback method at any time.

HH235

Quote from: DrJay on March 01, 2014, 12:32:10 PM
Quote from: burris on February 06, 2014, 05:08:42 AM
this really is not all that complicated people...

Callcentric, pay per minute calling...very inexpensive, higher quality, actual support, more features, done

as already noted too, the Obihai is simply an ATA that had the added feature of the GV setup...it is in fact from I can tell a better ATA across the board then the ones I had used prior with Callentric & Viatalk

i've had mine setup for both GV and Callcentric for some time (both inbound, outbound GV only)...will just go back to using Callcentric if there is not an easy GV solution

i'm not sweating this

+1 this.

Couldn't be happier. Having CallCentric spoof my GV number for the CID on outbound calls means that absolutely nothing changed with my setup as far as my callers/called parties can tell. Yes I now pay $6-9 dollars a month but the call quality is better than what I was getting with the Google Talk/XMPP kludge and I have 911 coverage now so I'm more than happy to pay for the service.

Dr Jay,
Did you use/are you able to use the Callcentric IP Freedom SIP accounts and forward your calls to an Android soft phone?  thanks.

SteveInWA

Quote from: HH235 on April 27, 2014, 11:34:58 PM
Quote from: DrJay on March 01, 2014, 12:32:10 PM
Quote from: burris on February 06, 2014, 05:08:42 AM
this really is not all that complicated people...

Callcentric, pay per minute calling...very inexpensive, higher quality, actual support, more features, done

as already noted too, the Obihai is simply an ATA that had the added feature of the GV setup...it is in fact from I can tell a better ATA across the board then the ones I had used prior with Callentric & Viatalk

i've had mine setup for both GV and Callcentric for some time (both inbound, outbound GV only)...will just go back to using Callcentric if there is not an easy GV solution

i'm not sweating this

+1 this.

Couldn't be happier. Having CallCentric spoof my GV number for the CID on outbound calls means that absolutely nothing changed with my setup as far as my callers/called parties can tell. Yes I now pay $6-9 dollars a month but the call quality is better than what I was getting with the Google Talk/XMPP kludge and I have 911 coverage now so I'm more than happy to pay for the service.

Dr Jay,
Did you use/are you able to use the Callcentric IP Freedom SIP accounts and forward your calls to an Android soft phone?  thanks.

See my answer in your other thread.

You must have an actual inbound telephone telephone number, either issued to you by Callcentric as one of their free NY DIDs, or a $1.95/month DID that you either pick from their list, or port in from some other carrier).  You can't just use the IP Freedom account with no telephone number.

Just get a DID and you are good to go.

tonyineugene

Groove IP Lite is an app we use on our android phone for calls now and then. Groove IP says they have figured out an answer for their app continuing to work after May 15. Groove says only phone calls will work at first, texting later. I suspect that there will be a work-around for my Obihai 100 to continue to use Google Hangouts or voice or whatever. yes, yes i know i'm 7 decades old but i truly believe that many many young folks have Already figured this out. And, i would not be surprised that Sherman may have an idea as well. Honestly Obi folks, gram and I are looking forward to May 15 because we suspect we will all be surprised at Obihai's options. Hopefully for folks like us, it will be an easy remedy.

We like the ease of use and options GV provides us. it melds with our Chrome Browser and voice mail is perfect. we don't need to get another provider that are listed on obihai. our android phones with Groove will work fine with GV when we're home. We will miss using our obi for the uniden phones however. It's so nice to just have the phone ring at home when our friends or family call and obi provided that. the issue of affordability as regards buying some voip service does Not apply.

Our Obi100 was one of the best electronic gadgets we have ever owned. We have used it with GV for years and Never Never had a problem. firmware upgrades have always been simple to do using the phone. Again, we never had an issue.

MyTE

I switched over from Google Voice to Vestalink http://www.vestalink.com/#_l_b2 which has the best price compared to the alternatives.  It also provides all the features of Google Voice and more. You can also keep your # with Google Voice and have Google Voice forward the calls to your Vestalink # and Vestalink can Spoof your Google Voice # for the caller id for outgoing calls or just port your # over and they waive the $10 fee for Google Voice # ports.

ylafont

as much as i enjoyed OBI, I just went back to nettalk, kept everything as is,  it is the cheapest provider out there without limits.

Who knows, Maybe one day Google will Purchase OBI or NetTalk and make everything good with the world again.