News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Total newbie! Help with moving forward to voip wonders

Started by drkan, January 11, 2014, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drkan

Hi

I need to move to voip in couple days asap  so I feel like I do not have alot of time to research (due to changing services). I have never used voip stuff before so please be gentle with me and provide me couple steps and links where I can get things established.

Here is what I have

I have landline and I would like to transfer my number.
I have cable internet
I am ordering obi202
I wont use google voice

What are the "exact" steps to move my landline to voip stuff as cheap and as fast as possible. How many different services/hardware do i have to sign up/buy to get it working? I am hoping that this vibrant community will be able to help me out with my setup.

I just need some kind of step by step stuff. I browsed through Obi website and I could not locate any precise information about the steps except some google voice stuff.

Btw is Obi going to sit between my modem and my internal router? I would hate to put this inbetween because I have quite a bit of server stuff that relies on direct connection to my cable modem. My modem is in bridge mode and my router acts as a gateway/router. So I hope I can just plug Obi to my router directly.

thanks

carl

Yes, you can pug your Obi into your router. there is a possibility that it will not work properly, in that case some tweaking will be necessary.
With Obi 202 and your broadband up and running you will only need a good cordless phone. I use a V tech and I am very happy with it.
You will have to check with your prospective VOIP provider whether your land line number is portable to them. Not all numbers are portable and not to all VOIP providers.
Porting fees depend on carriers and promotions. Expect to pay 0-25 $ for a port. porting fees are just a part of ypur costs and some very good and inexpensive providers like Localphone are relatively expensive in porting. Porting process is similar to porting between PSTN or cell phones, but may take in some cases a bit longer.
Check out providers like Localphone, Callcentric, VOIP.ms, Future 9 , Anveo.

drkan

@carl

thanks for your reply. It is very helpful

So I just get some kind of number from   a Voip company (or transfer my num to them) like the ones you listed above. Is that  enough to start using Voip with Obi202 (assuming that it works fine in my network)?

carl

Yes, once you sign up for service with a VoIP provider you will have to configure your Obi for that provider- fortunately, currently all the providers I listed are pre configured so it is an easy task ( unless, of course,some specific issues show up which make a change into the dial plan necessary). You can start with a DID (number ) which you get from the provider and take your time to port your number. Since you have Obi 202 you can have two lines with 2 providers for each line you do not have to stick with one provider. For example, next to Google Voice ( for the time being) I also have Localphone and Callcentric - Callcentric offers free incoming numbers (DID) from NY city and e911 service. You have to examine your needs and check which providers fit ( a part of) them. BTW you do not need an incoming number from each provider you choose. For example, a provider Callwithus offers extremely competitive rates to European cell phones.  If you, as an example, make a lot of calls like that, you sign up with this provider for outgoing calls only.

drkan

Quote from: carl on January 11, 2014, 09:51:25 PM
Yes, once you sign up for service with a VoIP provider you will have to configure your Obi for that provider- fortunately, currently all the providers I listed are pre configured so it is an easy task ( unless, of course,some specific issues show up which make a change into the dial plan necessary). You can start with a DID (number ) which you get from the provider and take your time to port your number. Since you have Obi 202 you can have two lines with 2 providers for each line you do not have to stick with one provider. For example, next to Google Voice ( for the time being) I also have Localphone and Callcentric - Callcentric offers free incoming numbers (DID) from NY city and e911 service. You have to examine your needs and check which providers fit ( a part of) them. BTW you do not need an incoming number from each provider you choose. For example, a provider Callwithus offers extremely competitive rates to European cell phones.  If you, as an example, make a lot of calls like that, you sign up with this provider for outgoing calls only.

Hi

Thanks again. I guess that is what I needed to know for the time being. You were super helpful.