News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Beware with firmware 2824 for OBi1xx

Started by habibie, January 15, 2014, 07:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

habibie

I have an OBi-110 device and it was working fine with firmware 2774 to bridge VoIP/PSTN calls with and/or without the Obi Auto Attendant (aa). In other words, callers from PSTN or VoIP had no problem to reach callees on the VoIP or PSTN site, respectively, with and/or without the aa.

Recently, I made a wrong decision to upgrade the OBi-110 device with the latest firmware 2824. Upon the upgrade, I noticed the Obi110 device gives the following problems:

[*]Firmware downgrade is no longer possible as others have reported here. The process to downgrade the firmware ends up with this error message: Firmware downgrading is prohibited.
[*]Firmware upgrade (reflash) is also not possible and the process returns with this error message: Previous version identical to the update. Firmware not modified.
[*]When SP1 Service::X_InboundCallRoute (this also applies to SP2) is set to default (ph), incoming and outgoing calls work OK. When SP1 Service::X_InboundCallRoute is set to aa, incoming VoIP call has no problem to complete on the Phone port when option #1 is selected. However, when a VoIP callee selects option #2, aa accepts the option and the call goes dead after aa announces Please wait while your call is being connected. The Status Call shows Number of Active Calls: 2 and Call History indicates the call from VoIP to PSTN was placed after the call was terminated by the OBi110 device within 30 seconds of the # key pressed.
[*]When LINE Port::InboundCallRoute is set to default, the Phone port rings when there is an incoming call from PSTN port. Upon picking up the telephone handset, the call goes dead while the caller still hears the call is still in progress (ringing). When LINE Port::InboundCallRoute is set to aa and the caller selected option #2 when prompted by aa, the Phone port won't ring and the PSTN caller keeps hearing as if the call is still in progress (ringing). The Status Call shows Number of Active Calls: 0.
[/list]
At this point, I am clueless but thought perhaps reflash the same new firmware would fix the problem. A las, all I encounter is as shown on item #2 above. :( Without being able to downgrade and/or reflash with the same firmware, I am left with an unusable OBi110 device due to problems I encountered in firmware 2824. I am hoping OBiHai will come up with a better firmware to fix this issue.

drgeoff

Quote from: habibie on January 15, 2014, 07:29:08 AM
  • When LINE Port::InboundCallRoute is set to default, the Phone port rings when there is an incoming call from PSTN port. Upon picking up the telephone handset, the call goes dead while the caller still hears the call is still in progress (ringing).
I cannot make reliable comments on the veracity of your other claims but I can say that the one I quote above does not apply to my OBi110 running firmware 2824.  Admittedly it does not have the InboundCallRoute set to default but rather:

{(Mbl):},{ph}

where Mbl is a user digit map containing a short list of blocked phone numbers.

ianobi

There have been a few complaints on this forum since the upgrade to 2824, but very few considering it's been around for at least four months now.

I tried to reproduce your problems, but all seems ok here. I am running two OBi110s with this setup:

HardwareVersion 2.8
SoftwareVersion 1.3.0 (Build: 2824)

I wonder if during your upgrade some data got corrupted. It may be worth trying a factory reset as detailed here:

http://www.obihai.com/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/How-to-Factory-Reset

Note any important configuration details before you start. You will have to re-add your device and input user details and passwords after the factory reset.

habibie

Quote from: drgeoff on January 15, 2014, 07:48:52 AM
Quote from: habibie on January 15, 2014, 07:29:08 AM
  • When LINE Port::InboundCallRoute is set to default, the Phone port rings when there is an incoming call from PSTN port. Upon picking up the telephone handset, the call goes dead while the caller still hears the call is still in progress (ringing).
I cannot make reliable comments on the veracity of your other claims but I can say that the one I quote above does not apply to my OBi110 running firmware 2824.  Admittedly it does not have the InboundCallRoute set to default but rather:

Unfortunately, the PSTN doesn't have a CID capability. So, I believe adding {(Mbl):} will not do any good.

habibie

Quote from: ianobi on January 15, 2014, 07:56:35 AMThere have been a few complaints on this forum since the upgrade to 2824, but very few considering it's been around for at least four months now.
That's good to know. However, if the problems still linger, then OBiHai failed to address the issues.

QuoteI tried to reproduce your problems, but all seems ok here. I am running two OBi110s with this setup:

HardwareVersion 2.8
SoftwareVersion 1.3.0 (Build: 2824)
Same hardware and software.

QuoteI wonder if during your upgrade some data got corrupted. It may be worth trying a factory reset as detailed here:

http://www.obihai.com/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/How-to-Factory-Reset

Note any important configuration details before you start. You will have to re-add your device and input user details and passwords after the factory reset.
I had done two different factory resets with the same results: The problems still persist, unfortunately. After the resets, even manually reconfigured the device and the problems still exist.  :(

[/quote]

ianobi

Looks like time to submit a support ticket:

http://www.obihai.com/supportTicketForm2.php

Please post back here if the answers may be of use to others.

drgeoff

Quote from: habibie on January 16, 2014, 12:35:43 PMUnfortunately, the PSTN doesn't have a CID capability.
Care to put money on that?

habibie

Quote from: drgeoff on January 17, 2014, 04:35:58 AM
Quote from: habibie on January 16, 2014, 12:35:43 PMUnfortunately, the PSTN doesn't have a CID capability.
Care to put money on that?
Sure. How much are you willing to bet? I subscribe to a plain PSTN line without a caller ID nor caller NAME.

lhm.

A true POTS line. Back in the day callerid was an optional addon. I might join in that bet.  :P

drgeoff

1.  habibie asserted that "the PSTN doesn't have a CID capability" and he therefore believed that "adding {(Mbl):} will not do any good".

Perhaps he could explain why the OBi110 has settings for CallerIDDetectMethod  and AnonymousCAllBlockEnable in its LINE port configuration page if no PSTN line has the capability of making those settings useful?

2.  While I don't claim that every PSTN line in the world has Caller ID, I do say that my PSTN line has always had Caller ID since I requested it more than 20 years ago (and for various reasons I've never paid any extra for it).  That it is present and works isn't a figment of my imagination - I have visual proof every time I look at my phone handset's display when a call comes in over my landline.

There may be reasons why adding {(Mb):} isn't doing any good in my case but "the PSTN doesn't have a CID capability" isn't one of them.

3.  If lhm wants to split hairs and argue that true POTS (the 'P' and 'O' being 'plain' and 'old') didn't have Caller ID, even as a capability, I'll counter that the term POTS does not occur in this thread before his posting.  :)

4.  Here in the UK, no PSTN line provided by British Telecom provides Caller NAME.  AFAIK this is also true of all other PSTN line providers in the UK.

simpleAnswers

Quote from: drgeoff on January 15, 2014, 07:48:52 AM
I cannot make reliable comments on the veracity of your other claims but I can say that the one I quote above does not apply to my OBi110 running firmware 2824.  Admittedly it does not have the InboundCallRoute set to default but rather:

While I cannot claim to have the same issue, I can say that when I upgraded firmware, I also suddenly developed issues with dropped calls. In my case, calls would suddenly go dead on GV after 30 seconds. It wouldn't hang up, it would just disconnect without each party hearing each other.

I spend sometime searching this forum and found how to extend the detect time, which I set to 5mins.
I know this wasn't a problem before the upgrade and the only thing I could think of was
A: Maybe this feature didn't work right previously and they fixed it so now it used the 30seconds correctly.
B: They messed up and reset the time to 30 secs during the upgrade.

Either way I'm always afraid of upgrades breaking something especially when my setup was already working fine.

Funny enough: This other post had the exact same issue I had. From his posts, it appears that they know this was a problem.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6678.0

sdb-

Quote from: drgeoff on January 17, 2014, 03:13:13 PM
1.  habibie asserted that "the PSTN doesn't have a CID capability" and he therefore believed that "adding {(Mbl):} will not do any good".

It seems quite obvious to me that habibie was speaking of his PSTN.

My PSTN never had caller ID.  Not my PSTN installed in 1998, or the one in 1991 or any of the ones before that.  I didn't want to pay for it, so I didn't have it.  My OBi110 never received a number on its line port.  I ported my number to Anveo, now I have caller ID (and I pay less than 10% of what I used to pay).

My parents' PSTN never had caller ID.  They don't want to pay for it, so it still doesn't.  They've had that number since 1971 and at first it did not even have DTMF dialing (only pulse).  A few years ago they finally conceded to pay for DTMF dialing because it was "free" with DSL.  Would have cost about $8 per month to get DTMF alone (they were on a grandfathered phone plan, and they had to give that up) and DTMF with DSL costs them about $28/month more than they used to pay.

My inlaws' PSTN never had caller ID.  They ported to cable company VOIP and now they get caller ID.