News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone light off

Started by TonyF, January 16, 2014, 06:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyF

I'm trying to setup my Obi100 and it worked once but then the phone light went out and now I don't get a dial tone.  I've tried different phones, phone cables, and even plugged the phone directly into the phone port of the Obi100 with no results.  I've tried factory reset too.  When I reboot the Obi, the phone light comes on once then goes out and stays out.  Any ideas?  Thanks

drgeoff

The standard answer to the phone LED being off is at http://obihai.com/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/My-Phone-LED-is-not-on

However I wonder what was behind you saying ".... and even plugged the phone directly into the phone port of the Obi100  ..".  Did you ever have the house wiring plugged into the OBi's phone port?  If yes and there was another provider (telco POTS line or cable TV phone service) connected to the house wiring, the voltage on it may have killed your OBi's phone port.

TonyF

Thanks for the reply.  Do you know anyway to verify that the phone port has been damaged and no longer working?  thx

drgeoff

I don't know a definitive test to check if the phone port is damaged or not but the following might give some hint.

Log into the  OBi's local web server.  (You'll need to look at your router's management GUI to see what address the OBi100 has been given.)  Password and username are both admin if you haven't changed the latter.  With a phone plugged in but on-hook, click on the '+' to expand the 'Status' menu, then click on 'Phone Status'.  Note down the values of State, LoopCurrent, VBAT, and TipRingVoltage.

Then take the phone off-hook, click on 'Phone Status' again and note down the values.

Report back here with both sets of values.