News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Question About Outbound Calls with new DID & GV

Started by clambert, January 19, 2014, 09:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clambert

So I'm searching for a solution to replace Google Voice on my Obihai.  I'm trying to wrap my head around how I need it to work and thought I would just ask.

I understand for inbound calls I can continue to forward the calls from my GV number to a new DID number.  But how are the outbound calls handled?  I don't want to confuse people with a different phone number.  I'd prefer not to port but still want my GV number to be displayed.  Is there a solution for this?  If so, what should I be looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help.

gderf

You will have to buy outgoing VoIP service from someone. They will allow you to assign your GV number to your outgoing CallerID.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

MikeHObi

At a minimum, you need to purchase outgoing service from someone.  Most companies provide options of pay per minute as well as packages where you prepay for a block of outgoing minutes.

In addition, you may or may not need to pay for a new DID, E911 service and incoming minutes (if they are not free for the DID you purchase or already have).
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

clambert

Thanks for the feedback.  Out of curiosity, what do you all use as a provider?  Right now I am focusing in on Anveo & Callcentric.

gderf

As long as the quality of service holds up I will go with obivoice.com, but not until after May 15 at the earliest.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

MikeHObi

right now I'm looking at Anveo.  I was thinking Callcentric, but their inability to use different E911 addresses for sub accounts makes it non-workable for me.  I want to have my mother on a sub account and she needs 911 to come to her address, not mine.

I'll do per minute DID's for outgoing and incoming initially. Then based on my usage I can look at all the competitors in the market to find the best deal.  By continuing to use my GV number I have more flexibility in switching providers as I don't need to worry about porting numbers to move.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.