News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trouble with new OBi and GoogleVoice

Started by lissieinthesky, April 21, 2011, 12:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lissieinthesky

I used the links posted on this forum to setup and configure my OBi with my GoogleVoice account and all went fairly well. The phone worked for a night. :)

The next day my husband went to plug in the bluray player to allow it to update. He says nothing happened to the OBi or near it, but my guess is that he either moved the ethernet or bumped the connection to the OBi and (or this spontaneously happened, regardless...) now the connection no longer works. I've tried reconfiguring, I've unplugged and left it for 5 minutes to sit, then replugged and reconfigured. This temporarily worked but it was always back to the same behavior.

If I pick up the handset, I get a dial tone for 1-3 seconds, it varies. Then the phone goes to a very LOUD static. Can't dial or do anything during that or to get rid of it. After I tried unplugging the OBi for 5 minutes and replugging and reconfiguring it worked for a couple of minutes but went back to the static. I called my cell from the set up phone, it rang twice on my cell phone and then DURING the call (I hadn't picked up the cell yet) it went to static. I tried calling from my cell phone to the set up phone, stated my name to the GoogleVoice, it rang through to the set up phone immediately. But, when I picked up the handset to answer it was immediate static! Once my cell connected, I could hear the static on that end as well. Call was connected but obviously useless. :P

??? Help! Any ideas? Thanks!

QBZappy

lissieinthesky,

Hi

I can not be certain, however the sound of static usually has something to do with s DSL filter. Maybe see if the filter was not moved.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

lissieinthesky

We don't have DSL, we have cable internet. We do HAVE a DSL filter but we're not currently using it. I'm totally uneducated with all of this, so I may be sticking my foot in my mouth, LOL. Would that help?

RonR

lissieinthesky,

You didn't mention trying a different telephone on the OBi to rule out the telephone as the source of the static.

I would reset the unit to factory defaults, disconnect it and take it to a different location, connect only a telephone and power (nothing else), and see if you still experience the static problem soon after hearing dialtone.  If you do, it's almost certainly a defective OBi.

RonR

Quote from: lissieinthesky on April 21, 2011, 12:44:10 PM
We don't have DSL, we have cable internet. We do HAVE a DSL filter but we're not currently using it. I'm totally uneducated with all of this, so I may be sticking my foot in my mouth, LOL. Would that help?

If you don't have DSL service, you have no need for a DSL filter.

RonR

Quote from: QBZappy on April 21, 2011, 12:31:53 PMI can not be certain, however the sound of static usually has something to do with s DSL filter. Maybe see if the filter was not moved.

A DSL filter is a low-pass filter used to block the higher frequencies used for DSL service.  The absence of a needed DSL filter might cause objectional noise on the LINE Port, but it wouldn't cause noise/static on the OBi generated dialtone you hear when you first pick up the phone nor on Google Voice, VoIP, or OBiTALK connections.

lissieinthesky

The night that the phone did work we ordered a set of cordless telephones to use with our new "line". They haven't arrived yet and unfortunately we don't have any other working telephones to try this with. You said to test it with a different phone by only plugging in the phone and the power cord? I didn't realize it would work without the ethernet. I can try that tonight with my current phone and if that doesn't work we'll have to wait for the new phone to test it with. Thanks for the help.  :)

RonR

Without an Ethernet/Intenet connection, you should still get the dialtone generated by the OBi and should be able to dial **0 to get the Auto Attendant or *** to get the IVR.

lissieinthesky

Hey Ron (hoping you're subscribed!)

Our new phone arrived, I did as you suggested and disconnected the ethernet to see if the phone would get the dial tone and reach the attendant, etc. Once disconnected from the ethernet and plugged into power and the telephone the phone did get a dial tone and I tried calling ***. This worked, up until about 30 seconds into the call - then back to the static. It's not always 30 seconds, the next try was 25, the next 13 seconds. Even just turning on the phone this last time I let it sit at dial tone and after 5 seconds the static begins.

Is this my OBi?

RonR

lissieinthesky

Thanks for your help, Ron! I'm contacting Amazon for an exchange. Hopefully I won't have to come post for help again - let's hope for a problem free installation. :) Thanks again!