News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calls to my GV # always ring my cell, but rarely my Obi landline

Started by Goffredo, January 27, 2014, 05:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goffredo

Hello,

I have two Obi 100's in two different locations.  They are both set up to use a single Google Voice number as their SP1.

In Google Voice, I have my GV # forward to my cell phone, and to Google Chat.

When someone calls my GV number, my cell phone always rings.  The phone connected to my Obi 100 sometimes rings - I'd say maybe 1/5th of the time.  The rest of the time, I watch my cellphone helplessly as the caller (usually my boss) rings through to my voice mail.  I don't answer since I don't get good cell coverage, which is precisely why I bought an OBi in the first place.

Is there some way I can diagnose this and fix this, so that the phones connected to my Obi 100 always ring when someone calls my GV number?

I have tried deleting and recreating the two Device Configurations on OBiTalk, but it doesn't seem to fix this.

MikeHObi

You said you have two obi's in two different locations and they both have the same google voice configuraiton.

That right there will result in odd behaviors I believe.  So when your cell rings neither of your two obi's is ringing, or just the one you want to ring isn't?
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

giqcass

This problem occurs when more then 1 Obi1xx device connects to a single Google Voice account at a time. Only the newer 20x series Obi devices are able to overcome the problem.   There are work arounds such as using a service like Callcentric in the middle or have one Obi forward the call to the other Obi.  The problem does not seem to cause outgoing issues.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Goffredo

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses!  Sounds like this is a known issue, and that i can only use a single OBi100 at a time.

1) Is there an easy way to "disable" one of my two OBi endpoints from the OBitalk dashboard?  That way, if I'm at House #2, I can log into the dashboard and disable "House #1" endpoint.  (the only option I see is to delete it)

2) Could you kindly forward me a reference on the 'forwarding' technique that you mentioned?  That would be great if I can get that set up.

MikeHObi

Quote from: Goffredo on January 29, 2014, 12:01:12 PM

2) Could you kindly forward me a reference on the 'forwarding' technique that you mentioned?  That would be great if I can get that set up.

The simplest process would be to get a free phone number from Callcentric http://www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number
This is a free New York City DID that you can then setup as a forwarding number in google voice.

the configure one of your obi's for this callcentric account.  Thus when your google voice number is called it will ring both chat and callcentric.  This will cause both obi's to ring.

I assume you know that google voice doesn't support 911.  Callcentrics Free DID requires E911 if you are in the states or canada which costs around $1.50 per month.

giqcass

Just to elaborate on the above.  Callcentric offers a nice feature they refer to as extensions. I use a different extension for each device.  One phone number can ring all extensions simultaneously.  So far as the 911 fee is concerned many people simply say they aren't using the service in the US to avoid the 911 fee.  You may want to do that when you are testing the system.  That way you will incur no costs.  You can always add 911 later if you want it.

MikeHObi

Quote from: giqcass on January 29, 2014, 04:01:03 PM
Just to elaborate on the above.  Callcentric offers a nice feature they refer to as extensions. I use a different extension for each device.  One phone number can ring all extensions simultaneously.  So far as the 911 fee is concerned many people simply say they aren't using the service in the US to avoid the 911 fee.  You may want to do that when you are testing the system.  That way you will incur no costs.  You can always add 911 later if you want it.

The only got-ya with extensions at Callcentric and multiple devices is that you can only have one 911 address active at any time.  That means that one address is presented for 911 calls on any of the extensions.  Not a big deal if all your devices are at one address.  But a problem if you have devices at two different physical sites.

I know Anveo allows you to have separate 911 addresses for their subaccounts (their version of extensions), not sure about any others.

azrobert

If you don't want to re-configure your OBi you can just re-boot it when you change locations.
The last OBi to connect to GV should receive inbound calls. Re-booting will cause the OBi to reconnect.

The easiest way to re-boot is to dial ***9 and then enter 1 to confirm after the prompt.

giqcass

Quote from: azrobert on January 30, 2014, 09:28:42 AM
If you don't want to re-configure your OBi you can just re-boot it when you change locations.
The last OBi to connect to GV should receive inbound calls. Re-booting will cause the OBi to reconnect.

The easiest way to re-boot is to dial ***9 and then enter 1 to confirm after the prompt.

I think the problem with that suggestion is re-registration.  That would only give you a temporary fix that would last for an unknown time period.  Correct me if I'm wrong here but XMPP will require the device to register or send some sort of keep alive that may still cause call routing issues. 

Goffredo

Thanks for all the help. 

I don't want yet another moving part in this system, so signing up for a Callcentric account is a no-go.  What I'll probably do instead is disable my Google Voice service provider at House #2, when I'm at House #1.  And vice versa.

It would be nice to have an easy "enable / disable" toggle for a service provider; instead, I simply have to delete it and re-create it.  But frankly, this is still easier than adding another moving part to the equation as far as I'm concerned!

azrobert

Here is a simple solution. You can have each OBi ring the phone on both OBi's. This way it doesn't matter which OBi receives the call. Both OBi's will ring.

In OBi#1
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
Change to: {ph,pp(ob200222222)}

2002222222 is the OBi number of OBi#2

In OBi#2
Change to: {ph,pp(ob200111111)}

200111111 is the OBi number of OBi#1

You must have both OBi's registered to the OBiTalk network.

giqcass

Quote from: azrobert on February 03, 2014, 06:45:43 PM
Here is a simple solution. You can have each OBi ring the phone on both OBi's. This way it doesn't matter which OBi receives the call. Both OBi's will ring.

In OBi#1
Change to: {ph,pp(ob200222222)}

2002222222 is the OBi number of OBi#2

In OBi#2
Change to: {ph,pp(ob200111111)}

200111111 is the OBi number of OBi#1

You must have both OBi's registered to the OBiTalk network.

If you don't want to add another service provider this really is a good solution to your problem.  I recommend you add this and if you still want to disable Gv on one of your Obi devices this solution would make sure the calls still ring in the event you forget to disable or re enable GV.

@azrobert  I can't remember for sure but was there a box that had to be checked to make sure original CID remained intact.

azrobert

Quote from: giqcass on February 03, 2014, 11:26:40 PM

@azrobert  I can't remember for sure but was there a box that had to be checked to make sure original CID remained intact.

After you posted the above question I wasn't sure if CID was passed, so I tested the setup and the CID is passed.

You are thinking of the parm X_SpoofCallerID under ITSP Profile -> SIP.
This is enabled on the outbound trunk to pass CID when bridging a call. We are using OBiTalk for the outbound trunk to fork the call to the 2nd OBi and OBiTalk doesn't have this parameter.

You can Enable/Disable the SP1 trunk with a dialing sequence from the attached phone.

Disable:
100#
0#

Enable:
100#