News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBiTALK Approved Service Provider Program

Started by Marketing, February 11, 2014, 03:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anveo

Quote from: Frank on February 12, 2014, 05:15:24 PM
...Is it possible with one Anveo line and one OBi box to duplicate the outgoing SP1 and SP2 Caller ID features we now enjoy? If not, what would it take to duplicate this capability?
Hi Frank,

You can have multiple custom Caller ID numbers configured in your Anveo account. To make a call with Custom Caller ID number configured you will need to dial a special prefix assigned for a particular Custom Caller ID.

To add custom Caller ID you will need to open your Anveo Account Preferences -> Custom Caller ID menu and add phone numbers there. After that you will need to complete automated Caller ID verification process for each custom Caller ID.
After that you can make calls though Anveo using *01, *02 prefixes.

dircom

I bought a new ooma for $84.79 @ AMZN for testing.  I didn't realize you could not do 3 way calls like you can on an Obi, or POTS line, so for me it's not the right thing.
But basic service with "unlimited calls" costs $3.79 a month for taxes.  It's not a bad value

(I thought I  bought with one of my ccards that gives me 90 days to return something, but alas used another card without that benefit  :-\

capet2965

Is Anveo registered with the FCC?

I can't seem to find Anveo at http://apps.fcc.gov/cgb/form499/499a.cfm

Maybe it's under a different name? Thanks

kwang0429

QuoteI heard Ooma can still support googlevoice, I believe that's my next device.

That would be a poor choice. You will need to pay $150 for the device + $150 for the service (That's $300 for your first year alone!) and then another $150 per year, every year for service fees. taxes and the Ooma Premier option to get the GV extension capability. 

Not accurate, I just got a ooma for $100, it's onsale, unless you want to be on their Premier plan, it's free instead of $150 per month you mentioned, and it's unlimited minutes within US, you can port your google number for free you don't have to be on the premiere plan, all you pay is local tax, which is $3 dollars for me in California. It's the legit way instead of cheat around way to do things.

[Obihai Comment] A monthly fee was never mentioned.  The Ooma device sells for $150 on the company web site.  The Ooma profit (called 'fees') and taxes depend on where you live but are about $4 per month ($48/year) - the Premier plan (required to get the GV Extensions feature you need) is about $108-$120 per year. So, the first year out of pocket money is between $256 to $318.  And you own a locked device.  Subsequent years are between $156 to $168 and above.  You should try to return your device and cancel before it's too late. 

CLTGreg

A couple notes about Anveo. There is no provision when going through the sign up to integrate this plan if you are an existing Anveo customer. Their number pool is rather dry compared to every other provider I've ever tried including Obivoice.

If they don't have a presence in a particular area then you're not going to be able to port. For example, South Carolina still shows only two POPs for 843 and it's been that way for months. You simply can't have a number in Darlington or Myrtle Beach even.

Good luck on support. Anveo charges for that and it seems it doesn't matter what the question is. A basic account may be able to ask a few questions before having to pay but I don't want to burn a question on an answer that should already be provided.

On the landing page they declare support is "selectable" what ever that means (it means not free I imagine or not unlimted) and my last follow up about 843 porting never had it's last question answered.

Obivoice is still a question but I ponied up to support the idea and am hoping they come through. I'd rather not pay to have bugs answered and there is no options to find out what "selectable" means or ask other questions ahead of time.

Even if you are already logged in to your account, it still takes you through the E911 verification and account signup which is where I stopped.

Anveo

Quote from: CLTGreg on February 13, 2014, 01:09:28 PM
A couple notes about Anveo. There is no provision when going through the sign up to integrate this plan if you are an existing Anveo customer.
Anveo for OBiTalk packages are available for new customers which means that during signup process you will get a new Anveo account created.

Their number pool is rather dry compared to every other provider I've ever tried including Obivoice.
Our underlying CLEC in US is the same one used by Google Voice ( Bandwidth.com ) which means we have the same coverage as Google Voice. LNP may be available in areas where we do not have new numbers in stock. Please email your phone number to our LNP via lnp@anveo.com and they will check if the number is portable.

Good luck on support. Anveo charges for that and it seems it doesn't matter what the question is. A basic account may be able to ask a few questions before having to pay but I don't want to burn a question on an answer that should already be provided.
I would like to mention that signup process is fully automated and at the end of this sign-up process, the Anveo voice service will be automatically configured on your OBi device. So you can make and receive calls without extra efforts.
Also, Obihai will provide free installation support for 60-days after Anveo service is activated.
After 60-days, service-related support issues will be provided by Anveo and subscribers to BASIC and BASIC PLUS packages can select either pay-per-incident support option or include regular support option.

...or ask other questions ahead of time.
Feed free to email your questions to anveo.sales@anveo.com

capet2965

Sorry,  Anveo, my question above was not answered in your responses.   What is your status with the FCC?  Thank you

kwang0429

and honestly, I haven't seen 1 positive feedback from the solution you have to resolve google voice issue in the forum, the fee you pay with the minutes you have is just not working out.....

MikeHObi

Quote from: Anveo on February 13, 2014, 01:46:01 PM
Our underlying CLEC in US is the same one used by Google Voice ( Bandwidth.com ) which means we have the same coverage as Google Voice.

Hmm, had some issues with my Anveo quality and now it may make some sense.  I've heard of some issues with bandwidth.com.  If I can find them I'll link them in.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

CLTGreg

I'm trying to think of one other phone company that doesn't disclose what the fees are to talk to them are. You seem to be saying this is only open to new customers but if you're not an existing customer how are you suppose to know how much a support call is going to cost?

I like Anveo for call flow etc. Perhaps there's a cultural thing and I understand the price is low however you tell me to e-mail LNP but last request I made took 20 days to get any reply at all. Follow up question to that have never been answered.

I have no problem dealing with Anveo as a high tech solution that likes to meter everything. But when you go beyond geek stuff and start to market turnkey solutions, there needs to be more information.

And when someone asks a question like "what about existing users" you should address that as to what your plans are. I don't care how mysterious they may be as far as where they are located but when basic stuff is left out people are going to poke further.

So my advise for the soft launch is to update the sign up page on what those costs are before asking someone to create an account.

Rick

I'm taking the "wait until end of April" approach, letting people that want to be on the bleeding edge do so.  Then, I'll evaluate what seems the best at the time.

I won't be going, no matter what the price, with a service that seems like it's being run out of a guy's basement.  Having used Callcentric for a short period for E911 and learning that their database was corrupt at one point, they got hacked for weeks, and then they didn't have their own generators or a co-located center, I'm not going to pick Fred's basement service, which is what one of the options I've seen discussed.

I also question why I need to pay up front for a year.  If your service stinks, I'm leaving, and I expect at least a pro-rated refund.  

I've also got to say that I've been really disappointed in OBi.  The device was much more difficult to get working than it should have been - and I'm fairly technical although VoIP is new to me.  Their firmware update process is garbage, we had to teach Sherman the right way to post an update so that we'd get notified, and that worked for a short period until he stopped doing it.  Calls to him and emails to his attention never got returned.  As a result, I stopped updating my firmware because my device was working fine.

Switching to the OBi and GV was right for me at the time - I dumped my landline and saved money, but ran into issues with my internet solution for my home alarm and had to switch to cellular for that, adding the cost of that device plus a monthly charge.  While that monthly charge, plus whatever I will need to pay for future phone service after the OBi/GV connection breaks, will still be somewhat less, saving $15 or so a month really wasn't worth all the aggravation.  Yes, my alarm system is now not vulnerable to a phone or internet cable being cut, but I wasn't that concerned about it. 

I'm leaning towards dumping all of this stuff and switching to linking my home phone line to my cell line via Bluetooth, which is how I have my 92 year old in-laws set-up (they have emergency buttons on their wrists to summon help in Assisted Living, so no E911 is needed).  It works well for them, and would likely work well for us.  If we make all our outgoing calls on our cells, then the only thing I have to resolve is that GV will only forward our home number to one cell phone, and that's problematic.  I may look into porting our number to one of the services that gives free incoming minutes and just never use the outgoing.

ceg3

Rick you made a lot of interesting comments, and I do think some of the VoIP solutions are overly complicated. I did sign up for a year with Obivoice and am very pleased with it so far, but if you are looking for an alternative take a look at Lingo. They are a very sophisticated "plug and play" service, with excellent telephone support, and I used them in the past for two years with no issues.  They are just not discounted enough for me to justify paying the taxes and fees they charge.  My brother actually signed up with good ole Vonage not too long ago for a fixed rate of 9.99 and a little in fees and is very happy with them.  I find Obivoice is at the right price point for me, though I do expect some pricing to increase over time.  I have no expectation that any VoIP service will be completely flawless and without an occasional hiccup. After all, it's the internet and the internet promises much and ........ sometimes it actually works! ;D 

simpleAnswers

Quote from: Rick on February 14, 2014, 08:20:57 AM
I also question why I need to pay up front for a year.  If your service stinks, I'm leaving, and I expect at least a pro-rated refund.  
I signed up for Obivoice and it clearly states that any cancellation is prorated to their monthly service. I paid 60 for 2 years service which at monthly rate would have been 4 times that much.

I've also got to say that I've been really disappointed in OBi.  The device was much more difficult to get working than it should have been - and I'm fairly technical although VoIP is new to me. 
Lol  :-\, have to disagree on that one. The basic usage of setting up GV on an Obi and using a regular phone is absolutely painless. Thats why it sold soo many. However, if you want to do some fun stuff, it is not that easy, however, I have to thank Obi for at least making this forum available. I have not only found solutions here, but new ideas on how to get more out of the Obi. The update sucks because it resets some settings, that I'll blame squarely on Obi.

Switching to the OBi and GV was right for me at the time - I dumped my landline and saved money, but ran into issues with my internet solution for my home alarm and had to switch to cellular for that, adding the cost of that device plus a monthly charge. 
This one is simple, sounds like you are using one of the nickel and dime alarm monitoring services (yes one of the big ones). In my area, I was paying the same, when I asked them about mobile monitoring they wanted to charge hundreds to enable mobile, then add like $10 to my monthly charge. Needless to say when my contract was up, I switched to another monitoring which get this "Offers wireless monitoring as standard". :P and charged 70% less. They will still connect to the landline as a backup but never use it. YES I do an alarm test monthly. The best part was, they used my existing sensors so the conversion was easy.

giqcass

If we make all our outgoing calls on our cells, then the only thing I have to resolve is that GV will only forward our home number to one cell phone, and that's problematic.

Go to your GV account and tell it your cell phone is a home phone.  Then do the same with your wifes cell phone.  Now that both phones are listed as a "home Phone" in Google Voice both phones can be selected as forwarding phones at the same time.  Google voice will no longer send text messages to your cell phone but if you download the GV app it will notify you of text messages. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

Quote from: MikeHObi on February 13, 2014, 04:57:36 PM
Quote from: Anveo on February 13, 2014, 01:46:01 PM
Our underlying CLEC in US is the same one used by Google Voice ( Bandwidth.com ) which means we have the same coverage as Google Voice.

Hmm, had some issues with my Anveo quality and now it may make some sense.  I've heard of some issues with bandwidth.com.  If I can find them I'll link them in.

I was happy to hear Anveo is partnered with bandwidth.com.  The company does not get a lot of press in mainstream media but they are major players.  They also happen to be my Cell phone provider.   The fact that you have only heard of a few issues with a large business speaks to their quality.

Rick

Quote from: giqcass on February 14, 2014, 02:55:18 PM
If we make all our outgoing calls on our cells, then the only thing I have to resolve is that GV will only forward our home number to one cell phone, and that's problematic.

Go to your GV account and tell it your cell phone is a home phone.  Then do the same with your wifes cell phone.  Now that both phones are listed as a "home Phone" in Google Voice both phones can be selected as forwarding phones at the same time.  Google voice will no longer send text messages to your cell phone but if you download the GV app it will notify you of text messages. 

Thanks, done.

Rick

Quote from: simpleAnswers on February 14, 2014, 01:38:01 PM
I signed up for Obivoice and it clearly states that any cancellation is prorated to their monthly service. I paid 60 for 2 years service which at monthly rate would have been 4 times that much.

I've also got to say that I've been really disappointed in OBi.  The device was much more difficult to get working than it should have been - and I'm fairly technical although VoIP is new to me. 
Lol  :-\, have to disagree on that one. The basic usage of setting up GV on an Obi and using a regular phone is absolutely painless. Thats why it sold soo many. However, if you want to do some fun stuff, it is not that easy, however, I have to thank Obi for at least making this forum available. I have not only found solutions here, but new ideas on how to get more out of the Obi. The update sucks because it resets some settings, that I'll blame squarely on Obi.

Switching to the OBi and GV was right for me at the time - I dumped my landline and saved money, but ran into issues with my internet solution for my home alarm and had to switch to cellular for that, adding the cost of that device plus a monthly charge. 
This one is simple, sounds like you are using one of the nickel and dime alarm monitoring services (yes one of the big ones). In my area, I was paying the same, when I asked them about mobile monitoring they wanted to charge hundreds to enable mobile, then add like $10 to my monthly charge. Needless to say when my contract was up, I switched to another monitoring which get this "Offers wireless monitoring as standard". :P and charged 70% less. They will still connect to the landline as a backup but never use it. YES I do an alarm test monthly. The best part was, they used my existing sensors so the conversion was easy.

It didn't sell soo many, that's why they changed their business model to partner with providers, because selling direct to consumers didn't go as planned, and they couldn't staff up to support them.

Having had this for two years now, and been through all the issues (and provided help to hundreds on this forum), it has most certainly not been smooth.

And no, I don't have one of the big companies, in fact I have a smaller monitoring company with no contract.  I use Alarm Relay, it's $10.45 a month paid annually, plus if you use cellular monitoring they go through a third party for another $12 a month.  I have another system in another location called Simplisafe, it's a very interesting model, monitoring gives you lots of internet ability plus email and text alerts all included.  If I wouldn't have to invest in their hardware (they don't use other's hardware), I might consider switching my main system.  Although I do like wired doors and windows vs. noticeable wireless sensors on their system.

carl

Obi really screwed up here. Their bug ridden manual is so miserable that it forms a challenge even for an IT professional. For a layman, it means hundreds of hours of work and study and extra equipment and a second patient person as tester in order to master this device. However, as long as you can stay within the pre configured things - which means giving up many of the awesome features of this device- you will be fine.
I also think that it was a mistake to advertise Obi as THE Google Voice device. It will come back biting. Obi is great for BYOD providers and they should have advertised it accordingly.

giqcass

Quote from: Rick on February 14, 2014, 04:07:45 PM
I use Alarm Relay, it's $10.45 a month paid annually, plus if you use cellular monitoring they go through a third party for another $12 a month.  
$12 per month is ridiculous when I can get a fully functional cell phone for $30 per year from pagepluscellular.com or $14.99 per month for unlimited voice cell service with Straight Talk Wireless Home Phone.

Quote from: carl on February 14, 2014, 04:34:21 PM
Obi really screwed up here. Their bug ridden manual is so miserable that it forms a challenge even for an IT professional.

It's hard to ague with that the documentation could be a lot better.

infin8loop

I decided to go with a rock bottom pricing voip provider. Their corporate offices and customer service phone center are in the attached photo.

Breaking news: The servers have just been relocated to China.
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher