News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Configure OBI to use Comcast service

Started by Hortoristic, February 13, 2014, 12:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortoristic

So I have to play the silly game with Comcast for TV and Internet and it's far cheaper ($99 a month) to get TV, Internet and telephone bundled - to keep a somewhat respectful bill with Comcast each month.

So; since I'm forced to have a phone with Comcast - I'm trying to leverage it with the upcoming GV changes.

I need my OBI for a variety of reasons as I have international family's that call me for free on DID's in other countries, and using voip.ms to call the UK for cheap - so removing the OBI from my equation just isn't realistic.

Is there some way to configure my OBI with Comcast SIP settings? My reason being is when I make outgoing calls with Comcast it will be showing my Comcast number in caller ID, but I really want folks to see my GV #.

RFC3261

Quote from: Hortoristic on February 13, 2014, 12:35:15 PM

Is there some way to configure my OBI with Comcast SIP settings?

AFAIK, direct SIP setup (and configurations) only works with Comcast Business Class service.  I have never heard of a residential service user being able to use their own SIP device.  I would be very pleased to hear otherwise.  If you get it to work, be sure to let us all know.

Hortoristic

Under their business softphone area I did find this snippet:

our user name will be the same as your portal login with the following appended to the user name:
@bve.wdv.comcast.net (For Example if your portal login is 630432331 then your Softphone login will
be 436302331@bve.wdv.comcast.net. Your password will be the same as your portal password.

So the question is what might my portal login be so I can try it?

PWTm105

I would like to do the same thing.  Did you ever get anywhere with this?

Thanks!

Hortoristic

For years, I just forwarded calls to Comcast so called id worked. I did configure 911 to use Comcast, and my 0114 calls to UK to use Voips, and all other calls to use GV