News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

General question about Time Settings

Started by OneForTheTeam, February 15, 2014, 06:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneForTheTeam

Here is what I noticed.
My Obi ATA was set to the wrong timezone. I never realized that. My Panasonic Cordless phone has a time setting. I will set the time on it corrected to the timezone(EST/EDT), but it will always go back to the timezone which was set in Obi (PST).

This kept happening until I changed the timezone setting on Obi and the time is now correct on my handsets.

My question is what is the protocol/mechanism that Obi uses to communicate time settings to the Panasonic. I wasn't aware of any such protocols.

Thanks

MurrayB

Is the time changing or is the time zone setting changing? Possibility that the Panasonic is configured to have the time set by incoming caller ID which may be processed through the Obi.

QBZappy

The Obi passes the CID data, including time and date, just like POTS. Here is a more complete explanation:

How does Caller ID work?
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question409.htm
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

OneForTheTeam

Quote from: MurrayB on February 15, 2014, 09:35:24 AM
Is the time changing or is the time zone setting changing? Possibility that the Panasonic is configured to have the time set by incoming caller ID which may be processed through the Obi.

The time is changing. Panasonic has no time-zone setting.
Quote from: MurrayB on February 15, 2014, 09:35:24 AM
Possibility that the Panasonic is configured to have the time set by incoming caller ID which may be processed through the Obi.

This I  what I guessed may be happening. In this case then, the Obi device then must be restamping the timestamp based on its time setting. I assume that CID on VOIP sends time in UTC. Obi then interprets it based on the timezone setting and sends to the handset. So until Obi's timezone setting is fixed, the handset always indicates the wrong time. I was assuming that the CID and timestamp was a passthrough from the VOIP provider.

giqcass

If I manually set the time om my GE cordless it just gets reset by the time the Obi has.  I never actually questioned the mechanism however. It would be interesting to use an Asterisk server to send manipulated CID data to see if that alters the time.

Interesting note about my phone.  Obi setting do not change the date settings in any way on my cordless.
Long live our new ObiLords!

callhome

On my Panasonic phone it went like this:
Menu
Select   Set date & time
Select   Time Adjustment
Set to manual    (It's default is caller ID)
Save

I use Obivoice, so I figured it was stamping it Pacific time. I'm in Central. Anyway now when I set the time on the phone it stays.

ET

OneForTheTeam

Quote from: callhome on February 17, 2014, 04:23:08 PM
Menu
Select   Set date & time
Select   Time Adjustment
Set to manual    (It's default is caller ID)
Save

ET Thanks. That setting exists on my Panasonic as well and explains the behavior we see. I'm going to leave it to Caller ID and let Obi manage the time. I'm not sure if the phone understands Daylight savings or not especially when the dates keep moving back and forth....