News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Bottom Line, after the GV change will there be any true free services left?

Started by HD97, February 19, 2014, 09:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HD97

Before I got my OBi I hadn't had a home service for a long time, just my cell phone.  Now that I've spent money for the OBI and a set of handsets I find out that GV and OBi are no longer going to work together.  So my question is are the days of true free VOIP service with OBi over or are there some other OBi compatible  services  out there that will let you make and receive calls to and from any number in the USA?

Thanks.

gderf

Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

HD97

Quote from: gderf on February 19, 2014, 09:45:12 AM
GV with callbacks.

I've never used that app.  Can it be set up to route GV calls to my OBi?  What I want is to pick up my handset and make a call like a normal telephone the way I do now and to be able to receive phone calls like a normal telephone the way I do now.  Ultimately I went without homer phone service for close to 10 years rather than pay for it.  Now I've bought an OBi and some handsets just to find out that GV is no longer going to support my device and it's past the window when I can return it to Amazon. 

Lavarock7

You can get a free inbound line from callcentric (NYC #) and free inbound minutes, but would pay for outbound through them or most anyone else.

There really is nothing free, it is subsidized by someone else.

In my opinion, a penny a minute for per call rates or $5 a month for "unlimited" service is not horrible, but certainly not free.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

giqcass

There are a few ways to get free inbound calling.
Callcentric is the best "simple" solution.
Ipkall can do it but it's a little more complicated.
ipcomms.net is giving away free incoming but the signup requires voice verification.  You have to talk to Jasmine.  I don't know when ipcomms offer will be pulled.

For outgoing calls you will have to set up incoming calls first.  Then you will need to initiate a callback through the Google Voice website or using an app.  

For those of us that don't mind complex trickery to make it happen there are other solutions as well.  

In a few months I suspect the accepted solution will be running asterisk on a Raspberry PI or something similar and using Google Voice again.
Long live our new ObiLords!

simpleAnswers

Cmon Guys lets be honest. Do you really think this is the end of GV over ATA?:

The only people scrambling here are those who don't want an interruption.

It is more than likely that once the XMPP ends and people get sniffing around the new hangout protocol, there will be another way to do this discovered by developers, the question is can you wait?

If you don't mind wait and see, you can pay for service for a year knowing its most likely temporary.
I certainly would not recommend porting your GV number to any one just yet.
I wouldn't consider it unless come jan 2015 there still isn't a different option.

MikeHObi

Quote from: simpleAnswers on February 20, 2014, 04:26:20 AM

I believe it is the end of legal use of GV over an ATA that isn't owned or licensed by google.  Google has been in the process of bringing things internal and doing so through changes to their terms of service more so than anything.  I don't doubt that there may be ATA's for Google Hangout, but my guess is the ATA's will be licensed and branded by Google and the service won't be free but be a part of your google apps account.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

riptcity00

Quote from: MikeHObi on February 20, 2014, 09:17:55 AM

I believe it is the end of legal use of GV over an ATA that isn't owned or licensed by google.  Google has been in the process of bringing things internal and doing so through changes to their terms of service more so than anything.  I don't doubt that there may be ATA's for Google Hangout, but my guess is the ATA's will be licensed and branded by Google and the service won't be free but be a part of your google apps account.

Looking at recent annoucements for expanding Google Fiber and the extent of integrated services offered for existing test markets, it seems like this is all part of their master plan to stay connected to their advertising markets.  They have a nice package of google branded products as part of these offerings...

SteveInWA

It is more than likely that once the XMPP ends and people get sniffing around the new hangout protocol, there will be another way to do this discovered by developers, the question is can you wait?

If you don't mind wait and see, you can pay for service for a year knowing its most likely temporary.
I wouldn't consider it unless come jan 2015 there still isn't a different option.

I have never seen someone in such extreme denial over an impending death.  We've answered your posts before.  It's over.  As Mike and Lavarock said, no more free beer (without gyrations as described by giqcass), and no more third-party ATA direct access.  As Dr. McCoy said, "He's dead, Jim."  "I'm a doctor, not a magician."

Those of us who support users over on the GV Forum are concerned about the rush of people waiting until May 15th to witness the death, before taking action.  Don't wait.  Make a decision very soon and get on with your life.

See my reply here, for pointers on a successful port out:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7257.0

7Priest7

lhm.

"Soo, When is ObiHai sending out return packaging and refunds?"

Nevaa!

Sipsorcery may be the answer for a while.

swh2

I have had GV since it was grand central. Been on Obi with GV since 6/12. What I really want to know is what the "new" GV (hangout-ified) will look like and how it will work for incoming and outgoing calls from the desktop (bypassing landline function all together). I wonder how long before the May 15 Obi deadline we will be able to "preview" it. Knowing what google did to "new" maps and "new" gmail compose I have to assume it will somewhat suck (vs what we have now) and be "dumbed down" like most of their "google +" offerings.

I use android 4.3 right now (rooted phone) and I have a public cell phone number via tmob and a private google voice number that I only give out to clients. Both come into that cell phone and landline only gets gv calls. I want to keep the google voice number. I am willing to pay something for voice service but not "verizon prices". GV works really slick on the cell and on desktop right now.

I also am in the process or switching from verizon FIOS (75.00 mo internet only for 50/25) to the freedompop.com "Hub Burst". I see lots of headaches ahead with google voice. Lots of options. The issue is how much headache/hassle/futzing do you want, can you keep "your" gv number and how much do you want to pay long term (prices go up all the time). Nothing is forever (in tech) and everything changes.

I always say the ability to adapt and change is what separates "old" people from "young" people. Most people do not embrace change especially when it does not bring better results

The one thing I wont miss on GV is the dropped calls and inability of people to hear me. That is annoying

swh2

Problem is doing something too early before we see the NEW GV is that Im not sure what is going to work with NEW GV

Quote from: SteveInWA on February 20, 2014, 11:27:20 AM

I have never seen someone in such extreme denial over an impending death.  We've answered your posts before.  It's over.  As Mike and Lavarock said, no more free beer (without gyrations as described by giqcass), and no more third-party ATA direct access.  As Dr. McCoy said, "He's dead, Jim."  "I'm a doctor, not a magician."

Those of us who support users over on the GV Forum are concerned about the rush of people waiting until May 15th to witness the death, before taking action.  Don't wait.  Make a decision very soon and get on with your life.

See my reply here, for pointers on a successful port out:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7257.0

giqcass

Quote from: swh2 on February 21, 2014, 11:49:58 AM
Problem is doing something too early before we see the NEW GV is that Im not sure what is going to work with NEW GV

Very little is actually changing with GV.  There a simple things you can do to prepare.  Number one is to test out some other services.  Many offer free credit to test.

Make sure you still receive incoming calls.  Register your Obi with Callcentric and get a Callcentric number. Forward GV to it and you will still get incoming calls.  This is free if you opt out of 911.

Now make sure you can make outbound calls.
Setup an outbound calling route that spoofs your GV number and add a little credit.  Localphone let's you start with as little as $1 which = 200 minutes.

Want to make fail-over seamless?  Set up a trunk group.  Make GV the first on the list and set the prepaid provider as second. Set the trunk group as primary or set it as outbound for just the most important numbers.

This way you won't get a surprise.  When GV ends XMPP support their may be a rush on things like free DIDs by all of the last minute people.

N7AS

Don't forget that with Localphone, Inbound is FREE as well as Outbound TollFree calls.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

giqcass

Quote from: N7AS on February 21, 2014, 07:16:40 PM
Don't forget that with Localphone, Inbound is FREE as well as Outbound TollFree calls.

Very true, they also offer CID and outbound CID spoofing but unfortunately they do not offer incoming CNAM. They also offer SMS but their SMS prices are not as good as their terrific calling rates.  Their incoming DID prices are also quite reasonable.

dvguy

It's over Johnny. It's over.  :'(

For using your Obi that is. I understand that gvmate will continue to work after the Google deadline. I am no expert on it and do not own one. You have to leave your pc on for the adapter to work. That is the down side.

giqcass

Quote from: dvguy on February 23, 2014, 04:28:31 PM
It's over Johnny. It's over.  :'(

For using your Obi that is. I understand that gvmate will continue to work after the Google deadline. I am no expert on it and do not own one. You have to leave your pc on for the adapter to work. That is the down side.
Gvmate = pcphonesoft.com

I have been thinking to myself for a few days now how many orders would it take to convince them to create a version of their software that ran on a low power device like the Raspberry PI.  I was figuring if things lined up right they could do a Kickstarter to ensure they had enough interested users.  In my vision you wouldn't need to plug in a MagicJack or Gvmate to the Raspberry PI.  Instead you would register your existing ATA to a sip service running on the device.