News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

ObiVoice is now VestaLink

Started by OneForTheTeam, February 27, 2014, 04:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneForTheTeam

Hmmm doesn't inspire much confidence if names keep changing every few days! No reason given on the web page! Any comment from insiders would be appreciated..

OneForTheTeam

Sorry, spoke a little too soon. They have an entry in their blog explaining the change.
Quote"Why Vestalink?  Obihai Technology, Inc in Campbell, CA has asked us to change our name."
More information here http://www.vestalink.com/blog/

Rick

What this shows is that the people running this company don't have basic business sense.  Any idiot checks out trademarks, copyrights, etc. before establishing company or product names, and then secures those rights.  Seems like they didn't in this case, and OBi rightly complained.  Amateurish. 

QBZappy

A rose by any other name...

In my very first post I suspected this would be a problem. It still is the most customer focused company on the internet. As you can see they even fullfilled an obihai feature request!
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

ceg3

I am a client, but I asked about the name when I first contacted them.  I mean, who wouldn't see this coming?  Maybe some good will come with the change.  Maybe they needed to change their name before becoming an approved provider.

OneForTheTeam

Yes. I am a happy customer too. The criticism about a little naivete or amateurishness in business decisions, although harsh, is justified. Also I believe Intelafone sounded better than VestaLink.

AlanB

Maybe this was all part of the marketing strategy.  After all, they got people looking at them.

callhome

I agree with AlanB, the publicity they got from the old name was tremendous. Just think of all the posts about them just here in Obitalk. Wouldn't have happened with the Vestalink name. Another happy subscriber to uh......Vestalink.

gderf

Quote from: AlanB on February 27, 2014, 09:36:34 AM
Maybe this was all part of the marketing strategy.  After all, they got people looking at them.

Exactly.

Notice how Intelafone waited for Obihai to announce a vague upcoming offering and then pounced with re-branded Intelafone service with the Obivoice name.

Meanwhile, Obihai couldn't or wouldn't answer any questions about their proposed offering, and was pummeled in their own forum when the measly 250 minute plan was officially announced.

Who is the "amateur" now.

So what's next, sue Vestalink because they are using a redirect of obivoice.com to vestalink.com?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

et_phone_home

Vestalink?  Um... should have used twitter and asked for people's opinion on a better naming choice.  Why not OVoice?  Might aswell change it to WanKenobiVoice.

riptcity00

Not thrilled by the name Vestalink either, but am thrilled with the service and price.  As long as that continues, who cares what they call it?  Another satisfied customer!

ceg3

Quote from: riptcity00 on February 27, 2014, 10:26:59 AM
Not thrilled by the name Vestalink either, but am thrilled with the service and price.  As long as that continues, who cares what they call it?  Another satisfied customer!
+1

QBZappy

Quote from: et_phone_home on February 27, 2014, 10:09:34 AM
Vestalink?  Um... should have used twitter and asked for people's opinion on a better naming choice.  Why not OVoice?  Might aswell change it to WanKenobiVoice.

Well let's do it here and now.

Well let's see whats out there. GVMate ( http://gvmate.com/ ) doesn't seem worried about Google sending them a cease and desist letter. They have been around for awhile. Maybe we can work that angle.

GValt (this one rolls off the tongue)
GVoip
Hangvoice
Outvoice
NOTobivoice
ibovoice

Can you do better?  :D

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

lhm.

Ve Stalin K gives a more european twist.  ::)

giqcass

Why couldn't they use Intelafone?
Long live our new ObiLords!

AlanB

I wonder why they didn't keep the old logo.  It's much nicer than the new one.

SteveInWA

Innocent bumbling, or very deviously clever marketing tactic, it at least gave the company time to bootstrap its business with OBi customers.  Given the closely concurrent timing of Obihai's own service announcement, it's pointless to "armchair quarterback" their actions.  As amusing as this is, at least I have to hand it to the company for either having an excellent advertising and graphic service agency that can make fancy videos and make very fast changes, or somebody in house who is an ace at video production.  Nice job!  Now, you need to fix all your FAQs and support docs that still say "Obivoice".

I guess I am just overly ethical, but if I knew that Obihai was moving into an "approved provider" model, with cooperative marketing and integrated provisioning, I would have made every effort to be the first such partner.  But you can't hold it against them for essentially being just another independent, pure-play SIP VoIP provider now.  After all, it was Obihai's bizarre decision to create what the large corporations call "channel conflict":  competing with your own value-added reseller network.

My personal hope is that Obihai goes all-out to convince as many ITSPs as possible to sign up for their approved provider program, which will make it easy for consumers to compare features, pick their favorite ITSP, based on their needs, and quickly provision their OBi ATA.

SteveInWA

Quote from: AlanB on February 27, 2014, 06:02:08 PM
I wonder why they didn't keep the old logo.  It's much nicer than the new one.

I wasn't paying attention to the old logo, but I actually like the new one.... it's a home, on a network diagram, enveloped by the "cloud" -- clean and modern design.  OK, the cloud is a cliche, but hey, it's easy to understand.

giqcass

Long live our new ObiLords!

OneForTheTeam

Quote from: SteveInWA on February 27, 2014, 07:35:32 PM
Innocent bumbling, or very deviously clever marketing tactic....
...As amusing as this is, at least I have to hand it to the company for either having an excellent advertising and graphic service agency that can make fancy videos and make very fast changes, or somebody in house who is an ace at video production. 
As far as marketing tactic goes, I don't believe anyone here has signed up thinking it was ObiHai's offering.  So I would chalk it to bumbling..

I've wondered about the slick production values on their site. Almost turned me off initially as it seemed like a scam with no substance