News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Localphone- How to disable voicemail? PIN?

Started by mo832, February 28, 2014, 09:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

Is there a way to completely disable (turn off) the voicemail feature in localphone? In other words, if the call is not answered, it will just ring until it times out?

Localphone has a voicemail PIN and a "Disable PIN" button. What is this PIN used for, and what does it mean to "disable" it? If the PIN is a VM password, why is the password never asked for by the VM attendant? If you change password inside the voicemail system, what happens, and why does the PIN on the localphone web page not change?

It is frustrating that this is never explained anywhere on the l.p. website, and I have submitted a question to them (shouldn't even be necessary IMO) that still hasn't been responded to.

giqcass

I believe the VM pin is only used to retrieve voicemail if you don't call from a registered ATA.  I don't know how to disable Voicemail but if you contact support they might disable it for you or just increase the ringtime.  If it's really high people won't wait to leave a message.
Long live our new ObiLords!

mo832

"registered ATA"- I thought localphone would ONLY allow you to retrieve voicemail from its own account connected phone. How would you go about getting into the vm system from an "outside" phone or SIP account, or what other way is there?

giqcass

I was mistaken they do make you enter a pin even when calling from the ATA unless you turn the pin access off.  So far as accessing the Voicemail in another fashion I have not tried to do that since I don't use it.  Many Voicemail systems allow you to do it by pressing * or # when the voicemail picks up.  Then you are asked for a pin.
Long live our new ObiLords!

mo832

I am in contact with localphone support, but I am so confused. They told me the PIN can be enabled or disabled, but I have found that whenever I call the voicemail, no matter if the PIN is enabled, it NEVER asks for anything before accessing the mailbox. I can't make it act differently.

Also, I have found that the voicemail NEVER answers if the line rings and not answered by someone. It ONLY answers if the line is not registered or offline. The support people told me that since I do not have a DID with them, there is no reason for the VM to answer. (I do not think this is accurate). I have my own DID thru ipkall, as long as the sip line rings, what difference does it make at that point? Either it is answered or not. If not, then the vm should take over. Does yours work this way?

I should add that I don't expect to use the localphone VM, but I need to understand the behavior so I can plan for it to be used in conjunction with other services/components. Knowing what is competing for calls is important for troubleshooting. I can imagine a scenario even today where multiple calls come in at the same time, and LP VM winds up with the call when never normally designed to. Plus, there may come a day when I want to port my number or bypass GV or start using the localphone VM.