News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

7 digit dialing

Started by Tobi, March 04, 2014, 09:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobi

How does one add 7 digit dialing using Admin tools directly into the OBI 100?

7 digit dial has a setup option within the OBITALK.com configuring tool.

I'm attempting to ween off the GUI there and into the Admin of OBI 100 directly.

giqcass

Here is a couple examples with a brief explanation.  aaa = your local area code.
<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|

If i see a number that starts with any number 2 through 9 "[2-9]" that is followed by any sequence of 6 numbers "xxxxxx" then add 1aaa to the beginning before dialing the call "<1aaa>".  The "|" means or.  We like to use "[2-9]" instead of another "x" because no US area codes starts with 1 with the exception of a fake area code used by certain cell phone companies for the purpose of SMS to email.  Those fake area codes can not be dialed.  The extra specificity of "[2-9]" allows seven digit numbers starting with 1 to be used for other purposes without conflict with 7 digit dialing.

You will notice a similar entry for 10 digit dialing
<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|

And this is for international dialing. 011xx.   "xx." means we don't know how long the number will be.

Quote from: RonR on February 09, 2012, 09:59:31 AM
The OBi has no control over what other people have to dial on their telephones to reach your number.  If you actually meant you can't dial out using 7 digits to make local calls, make this change:

Voice Services -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.'@'@@.)

where aaa is your local area code.

Quote from: MichiganTelephone on January 27, 2011, 09:50:44 AM
As explained in my review at http://michigantelephone.wordpress.com/2011/01/22/review-of-the-obihai-obi110-voip-device-part-1-use-your-phone-with-google-voice-for-free-incoming-and-outgoing-calls/ :

QuoteYou might want to make one other tweak if you are used to dialing local numbers using just seven digits. By default, you will be able to dial U.S.A. and Canada numbers using 11 digits (1 + area code + number) or 10 digits.  If you'd prefer to be able to use 11 or 7 digits, in the left-side menu click on the + next to "Service Providers", then when the menu expands click on "ITSP Profile A" (or "ITSP Profile B" if that's where your Google Voice account is). Find the setting "DigitMap", and uncheck the "Default" box next to it.  Somewhere near the front of the string, you will see this: |<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx| — change the part between the vertical bar characters to <1313>xxxxxxx (but substitute your area code for 313). Be careful not to remove or change either of the vertical bar characters that "bookend" the part you just changed.  Then click "Submit", wait for the page to reload, and "Reboot", and (after it reconnects with Google Voice) you should have the 7/11 digit dialing you are used to.

Hope that helps!

Perhaps someone can satisfy my curiosity here on why "1xxxxxxxxxx" is used instead of "1[2-9]xxxxxxxxx" which is more precise.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Tobi

gigcass, your 1st idea works nicely. With your pointer, that the digit map is what needed changing,  I used the OBITALK tool to provision GooglVoice, to see how 1541 was incorporated into the digit map.  It is now incorporated into both accounts here, SP1 and 2.

GoogelVoice:  (*xx|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1541>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

Nice to awake and find the question answered here.  I've learned a bit more.  Thank you.

giqcass

As you can see most of my ideas come from others here in the forums.  Helping solve other peoples problems also helps me learn so I'm always glad to do it.  I never used the Obitalk provisioning portal so when I stepped in my first time I stepped in deep.  With the help of people here and in many other forums I have picked up a lot but there is always more to learn on a device like this.
Long live our new ObiLords!