News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ported out of GV to Vestalink and experiencing major problems

Started by Holysmoke, March 13, 2014, 06:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holysmoke

I have found numerous nightmare threads online about this issue.

It seems GV keeps the number in your google account even after it is ported out successfully.

If my wife uses Google Voice to call our home Vestalink number (used to be GV) it goes to voicemail at GV.  If she uses the cell phone without GV it successfully goes to Vestalink.

Is there any way out of this?

I was thinking of deleting the number out of my GV but that appears to take 90 days to take full effect.

Thanks.

some other posts at google...

QuoteRed LeathermanTop Contributor    
10/10/12
brian.g:
The issue with porting a landline [Google Voice] to another provider has been reported as taking significantly more time by all telecoms with a porting time of 15-45 days reported by some providers. Google allows you to release your number to a new provider but it's up to the new provider to take it from there and complete the process.
   brian.gLevel 1    

Does anyone have experience with Vestalink propagation of ported numbers?

cluckercreek

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I ported my GV number to Vestalink. It was completed in about 5-6 days. I didn't have any problems with Google. I hope you find your answer quickly.

Johnny

I had similar issues as the OP when I ported from GV to Voip.ms.

Here's what helped me:

I explained the problems I was having on the Google Voice help forum and posted the last four digits of my number.  I asked that my number be released from their system.

Within a day or two, all my issues cleared up and everything worked as it should.

Try posting over at their forum and post the last four digits of your number.

It definitely helped me.

Good luck......

Holysmoke

Johnny

Once I provided GV with the last four digits of my number, and asked that it be released from their system, it did in fact disappear from my GV account and everything worked as it should.  All calls and text messages went to the new provider.

Prior to going to the GV help forum and doing what I just described, my number was still showing in my GV account even though Voip.ms told me the port had completed. 

Maybe it was all a coincidence?  Doubtful.

Good luck......

Holysmoke

dudly

Hi Holysmoke,

I ported a number from Google Voice to Callcentric.  After it was ported and working on Callcentric, it remained in my Google Voice account for about a week or so and then disappeared.  I did nothing to help it along, it just went away.  Good luck.

giqcass

When a number is ported to and from any service "successfully" some features may not work correctly for a few days.  I suspect this issue is more about Google allowing extra time to be sure the changes have propagated before deleting a number from their service entirely.  That way errant calls and SMS misrouted by the CLEC would still be received.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Marty.ba.calif.usa

Also, since this is internet, there are DNS propagation delays in some cases.  DNS lookups are cached at various places, and may take some time to get cleared out.

Can the GV voicemail be disabled?  I don't know if that would help, though.  I never actually used GV for anything other an extra number, and for SMS messages via an Android app before I had unlimited cell phone messages.

Holysmoke

as of today the GV number is alive and well in my google account and still does not go to Vestalink properly.

I still have the poor GV dropped calls problem when and if it does go to Vestalink.

I thank God for the 30 day money back guarantee at Vestalink but I wasted $13 on porting and now I have lost a GV number I have used for 6 years unless I pay google $20 to port it back and why do that when they are dropping Obi.

giqcass

Quote from: Holysmoke on March 19, 2014, 06:23:07 AM
as of today the GV number is alive and well in my google account and still does not go to Vestalink properly.

I still have the poor GV dropped calls problem when and if it does go to Vestalink.

I thank God for the 30 day money back guarantee at Vestalink but I wasted $13 on porting and now I have lost a GV number I have used for 6 years unless I pay google $20 to port it back and why do that when they are dropping Obi.
If it is still in your GV account is there a way to cancel the port?

AlanB

k and why do that when they are dropping Obi.
GV isn't exactly dropping Obi.  They never really intended for GV to be used via a device like Obi -- some smart engineers figured out how to use GV.

Holysmoke

Quote from: giqcass on March 20, 2014, 04:32:49 PM

If it is still in your GV account is there a way to cancel the port?

the part time wedding DJ at Vestalink says it is fully ported.  he says it is googles issue now.

giqcass

Quote from: Holysmoke on March 20, 2014, 06:14:16 PM
the part time wedding DJ at Vestalink says it is fully ported.  he says it is googles issue now.
When you say "part time wedding DJ" are you talking about Ryan?

Holysmoke

Quote from: clawdogs on March 21, 2014, 06:55:46 AM
holysmoke, in the same post you say your number is ported back to GVoice AND you lost your number?  That's confusing.  Why are you blaming vestalink for a number being forwarded from Google to terminate there?  That's a bad set up..  That set up will never work as it should all the time.  If you already received your refund, why are you still calling vestalink?  

Also, you don't sound like a nice person.  the part time wedding DJ at Vestalink says it is fully ported.  he says it is googles issue now.  What does the CEO's part time gig or hobby have anything to do with your issue?  I ported my number just fine, the only issue I had is when I was forwarding from google before it was ported.

It is not ported back to GV.  I paid $13 to have it ported to Vestalink and the part time DJ can't figure out how to fully port it even though he says it is fully ported then instead of helping me further he says it is googles issue now.

The number is in Vestalink portal and GV account.  How the flying flop can it be in both places.

The reason I call him a part time DJ is because this is run like a low rent operation, no support on nights or weekends and no help for this issue.

I don't care a lick if you think I'm "nice" move on if you don't like the thread. 

If you can't port a number from GV, don't claim you can and don't charge people when you can't fulfill your obligation.

I have not received a refund yet either.

MikeHObi

When people call using a regular phone line or voip line (not a google voice line) where does their call end up?  My guess is it ends up at Vestalink.
Google has a problem in their system when they release numbers.  They actually release the number but they have systems which have nothing to do with the phone number but everything to do with your account that do not get properly updated.  This causes Google Voice calls to get routed to your Google Voice account when they should be getting routed out of the system.

That is a Google problem, not a phone system problem nor the porting carriers problem.  It is purely the type of screwed up mess that google can create when dealing with the real world.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

cluckercreek

Vestalink didn't have any problem porting my GV number in. Look around on the net and you'll see that Google has and is, experiencing delays and refusals to port some numbers. Ryan has been nothing but professional with me on any questions and went above and beyond on a problem with MWI. It turned out the problem was with my Uniden phone and now that works.

SteveInWA

Holysmoke:

Porting numbers from one landline service provider to another (which is what you are doing) can take a week or more to fully complete, including cleanup at the old carrier, and broadcasting and propagation of your call routing information at the new carrier.  It's just the way the process works, and it's not necessarily anyone's "fault".

There are some persistent problems with Google Voice retaining numbers in its carrier database after a port out.  It has to do with problems somewhere in the way the carriers (fail to) notify each other of porting status.  Most of the GV porting system is automated.  Sometimes, it takes manual intervention to clean it out, but usually, it just takes some waiting time, as has been pointed out in this thread.

You said you posted on the Google Voice Forum.  If you provide a link to your post, I will look into it for you over there.

Lavarock7

As an aside, I had service with a local VOIP provider and ported away. When the port showed up at the new provider, the phone rang at both providers. I modified my adapter to the new service and never looked back. Well, almost never looked back...

Weeks later (or was it months later) I plugged in an old adapter I had and it turns out it was still configured with the old VOIP company. It still had a dial tone and when I made an outbound call to my cell phone, the caller ID showed it was still an active account. I have not checked lately but that old VOIP account may STILL be useable. Who knows what happens if there is actually time allocated to calls. Maybe they would try to bill me.

Yet moving further aside, I had local POTS service here, but cancelled it when I got VOIP. I disconnected most of the house but there was still a home run to a phone downstairs in an area I rarely used. I plugged a phone into it one day, got a dialtone and dialed upstairs. When I looked at the caller ID it showed someone elses number and name. Turns out the phone company reused the wires but never disconnected them from my house, thus I could have listened into the neighbors calls If I wanted. It has been 4 years, but I'll bet that line is still active! People wonder why there is noise on their POTS line when it may be miles of extra wire paralleled to their line.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Holysmoke

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 22, 2014, 08:12:04 PM
Holysmoke:

Porting numbers from one landline service provider to another (which is what you are doing) can take a week or more to fully complete, including cleanup at the old carrier, and broadcasting and propagation of your call routing information at the new carrier.  It's just the way the process works, and it's not necessarily anyone's "fault".

There are some persistent problems with Google Voice retaining numbers in its carrier database after a port out.  It has to do with problems somewhere in the way the carriers (fail to) notify each other of porting status.  Most of the GV porting system is automated.  Sometimes, it takes manual intervention to clean it out, but usually, it just takes some waiting time, as has been pointed out in this thread.

You said you posted on the Google Voice Forum.  If you provide a link to your post, I will look into it for you over there.

thanks for the help, I PM'd the link.  I ported the number on March 13