News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Vestalink ringing both lines on Obi202

Started by JohnH, March 15, 2014, 04:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnH

This problem has me baffled. I've been using GV/Callcentric for some time and I'm switching over to Vestalink. However, for some reason my only Vestalink line is ringing both lines on my Obi202. I'm using ObiTALK for the setup.

You may want to jump to 7 and 8 because I think that's where the problem is.

Here are the details:

1. Vestalink is one Phone 1 and SP1. Phone 2 is NOT selected.

2. GV is still on Phone 2 and SP3. (Waiting for GV number to port to Vesta before switching). Phone 1 is not selected.

3. In the advanced area, under Physical Interfaces, the PrimaryLine setting Phone 1 port is SP1 and the setting for Phone 2 port is SP3.

4. In advanced area, under SP1, the X_InboundCallRoute setting is {>(33XX):ph},{ph}. It was {ph} but I changed it for reasons I'll explain below. 

5. In Vesta, call forwarding is turned off.

6. When you call line 2, only line 2 rings. This problem is only when you call line 1.

7. IMPORTANT: While I know I shouldn't do this if I'm using ObiTALK, I took a peek at the Obi web controller. There, in SP1 under X_InboundCallRoute is this setting: {>(33XX):ph,ph2} I'm assuming the ph2 is causing the problem but this setting cannot be changed! (BTW, 33XX is the obfuscated version of my Vesta username). I tried switching this and rebooting, but it just reboots again and goes back to the old setting. I also tried changing the setting in ObiTALK to the setting in detail 4 (and several other versions of this setting), but it has no effect. 

8. IMPORTANT: When I first set up my Obi202 with Vesta, I tried using their autoconfiguration and had this same problem with both lines ringing. The support guy told me to use ObiTALK instead and delete the device first (I did). However, I did not do a factory reset (if that's possible).

It seems to me that the Vesta autoconfiguration still has control over my Obi202.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

giqcass

This is pretty standard behavior.
Go to
System Management
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Auto Provisioning
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ITSP Provisioninghelp
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Method = Disabled

Make sure you submit it!

Then Go to
Voice Service
>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sp1 Service
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>X_InboundCallRoute
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Change it to {>(33XX):ph}
Submit  then reboot.

Let me know if that does it. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

Lavarock7

On an Obi202 the port for Phone 1 has 4 wires and the port for Phone 2 has 2 wires. This allows Phone 1 to be a 2 line phone. Check to see if you have a 2 wire telephone cord yto use for that phone and whether that solves the problem.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

JohnH

Thanks to both of you! Giqcass, your method worked, but I'm still a little puzzled. I tried it first on ObiTALK, but it didn't work. Next, I tried it on my local device controller (or whatever you call it) and it worked fine. It seems like ObiTALK has lost some, but not all, of its control over my device since I first used the Vesta autoconfiguration.

At least it's working. Thanks again.   :D

giqcass

There are four ways to control an Obi.
1)Log in to the Obi itself.
2)Through a phone connected directly to the Obi.
3)Using a provisioning file.   
4)SIP  I don't know much about this method but Obi can make at least some changes to your obit with special sip messages sent over the Obitalk network.

Option 3 is the primary way Obihai and Vestalink use to control your Obi.  When you used the Vestalink auto setup Vestalink changed the server your obi looks at to find updated provisioning files.  Since your Obi was no longer looking at Obihai servers it could no longer find changes you made via the Obihai web control panel.  In addition because it was looking at the Vestalink servers for updated provisioning files it would overwrite any changes you made to your obi locally with settings that it found on the vestalink servers.   The change I told you to make told the Obi to stop looking for provisioning files on the Vestalink server. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

simpleAnswers

Quote from: Lavarock7 on March 15, 2014, 07:48:38 PM
On an Obi202 the port for Phone 1 has 4 wires and the port for Phone 2 has 2 wires. This allows Phone 1 to be a 2 line phone. Check to see if you have a 2 wire telephone cord yto use for that phone and whether that solves the problem.

Say what? That is news to me.
So how could that work in practice? Would the 2 line phone use PH1. I guess I'm trying to figure out how to take advantage of that feature.

If I plugged in 2 line phone into that PH1 socket, could I have 2 simultaneous calls at the same time?

drgeoff

Quote from: simpleAnswers on March 17, 2014, 02:56:43 AM

So how could that work in practice? Would the 2 line phone use PH1. I guess I'm trying to figure out how to take advantage of that feature.

If I plugged in 2 line phone into that PH1 socket, could I have 2 simultaneous calls at the same time?
The OBi202 is perfectly capable of having two simultaneous calls using PHONE1 and PHONE2.  You can do that with separate phones plugged into the two sockets.  I've never seen a US two-line phone but I assume it is little more than an ordinary phone with a switch which connects to either line.  If it only has one handset, I cannot imagine how it can support two simultaneous calls.  (My definition of 'two simultaneous calls' does not include a 3-way call nor switching between two calls, conversing on one while the other is on hold.)

One reason the OBi202's socket labelled PHONE1 is wired up the way it is, is to support a two-line phone where you use the single handset to make or receive a call on either 'line'.  (One at a time.)

It is also possible that if the house wiring uses both pairs in 4-wire cabling to support two lines throughout the house that this makes a simpler/neater connection to the OBi202.

BigJim_McD

I have a four phone set of 2-Line Vtech portable phones connected to my Obi202.  I connected a 4-wire phone cord from the  Line-1 {L1+L2} Jack on the Obi202 to the Phone-1 Jack on the 2-Line Vtech.  I manage my Obi devices using ObiTALK.  I reset my Obi202 device, then configured SP1 for Vestalink as a "Generic Service Provider". Then I added additional provisioning for "VOIP.ms" on SP3 and SP4. 

I can make and receive calls on "Phone-2" while my wife is talking on "Pone-1".  When "Phone-2" is in use and "Phone-1" is idle, incoming calls or new outgoing calls work on "Phone-1".  This would also work with two different phones, one connected to Line-1 and the second phone connected to Line-2 using 2-wire phone cords.

I made the following changes using ObiTALK "Expert Configuration".

Obi202 Configuration for Main # with two phones:
1)   Ring only Ph1 for a single call, Call Waiting Disabled on Phone 1.
2)   Ring Ph2 only for a 2nd Call using "Call Forward Busy Line".

Using ObiTALK configure:
                                                         Phone 1     Phone 2
Primary Line for Outgoing Calls Route to:      SP1         SP1
Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:            SP1         SP3, SP4

Enter ObiTALK "Expert" Configuration.

Locate:  Physical Interfaces – PHONE 1 Port.
   Uncheck –  Calling Features  –  CallWaitingEnable    Default Block

Locate:  Voice Services – SP1 Service.
   Uncheck   –  CallForwardOnBusyEnable     Default Block
       Check  –  CallForwardOnBusyEnable     Block on the Left

Uncheck –  CallForwardOnBusyNumber     Default Block
         Add –  CallForwardOnBusyNumber       Ph2(#)        
BigJimMcD

PeterFales

For what it's worth, I'm *trying* to set this up on my Obi for both the Anveo account on SP2 and the Vestalink account on SP3.   It works with the Anveo account (when ph1 is busy, calling the Anveo number rolls over to ph2), but it's not working with the Vestalink account (when ph1 is busy, calling the Vestalink number goes to Vestalink voice mail).  I *think* I have SP2 and SP3 configured identically.   

Is there anything I may have missed?

Does anyone else have this working on a Vestalink account?

PeterFales

I contacted Vestalink support about this.   They confirmed that Vestalink does not currently support this CallForwardOnBusy "rollever" to the other line.   They suggested I open a feature request on the Vestalink feedback forum, and I've done that.  Feel free to vote for it!  :-)

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on March 17, 2014, 05:08:35 AM
Quote from: simpleAnswers on March 17, 2014, 02:56:43 AM

The OBi202 is perfectly capable of having two simultaneous calls using PHONE1 and PHONE2.  You can do that with separate phones plugged into the two sockets.  I've never seen a US two-line phone but I assume it is little more than an ordinary phone with a switch which connects to either line.  If it only has one handset, I cannot imagine how it can support two simultaneous calls.  (My definition of 'two simultaneous calls' does not include a 3-way call nor switching between two calls, conversing on one while the other is on hold.)

One reason the OBi202's socket labelled PHONE1 is wired up the way it is, is to support a two-line phone where you use the single handset to make or receive a call on either 'line'.  (One at a time.)

It is also possible that if the house wiring uses both pairs in 4-wire cabling to support two lines throughout the house that this makes a simpler/neater connection to the OBi202.

I should have guessed that someone named "Geoff" is likely in the UK, not the USA?  :-)

Anyhow, the 2-line jack wiring configuration is a standard, called RJ-14.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack

Line one is the inner pair, and line two is the next-outer pair, and the two outer-most pins are generally unused today.

Two-line telephone sets for the US market generally include one RJ-14-wired jack to use with a combined two-line cord, plus a second, RJ-11 jack, with the only connection being intended for line two on the INNER pair.  This provides a sort of universal wiring solution:  if you have two separate single-line cords, each supporting a different phone number, then plug one into each jack.  If you have a two-line cord, you plug it into the L1+L2 RJ-14 jack.  Of course, there are also splitters and combiners available from Radio Shack or other sellers.

Tuan

I tried changing the callforwardonbusynumber to ph2 through obitalk's expert config, but that didn't work for me either like JohnH.

I had to access the Obi directly from my PC's browser 192.168.1.xx where xx is assigned to my Obi202.  This method worked, so accessing the Obi directly is the key.  Most other features, using Obitalk's expert configuration is fine.  I'm not sure why this feature requires direct access.

btw, I have voip.ms

Quote from: giqcass on March 16, 2014, 05:41:34 PM
There are four ways to control an Obi.
1)Log in to the Obi itself.
2)Through a phone connected directly to the Obi.
3)Using a provisioning file.  
4)SIP  I don't know much about this method but Obi can make at least some changes to your obit with special sip messages sent over the Obitalk network.

Option 3 is the primary way Obihai and Vestalink use to control your Obi.  When you used the Vestalink auto setup Vestalink changed the server your obi looks at to find updated provisioning files.  Since your Obi was no longer looking at Obihai servers it could no longer find changes you made via the Obihai web control panel.  In addition because it was looking at the Vestalink servers for updated provisioning files it would overwrite any changes you made to your obi locally with settings that it found on the vestalink servers.   The change I told you to make told the Obi to stop looking for provisioning files on the Vestalink server.  

simpleAnswers

Quote from: Tuan on May 08, 2014, 02:27:47 PM
I tried changing the callforwardonbusynumber to ph2 through obitalk's expert config, but that didn't work for me either like JohnH.

I had to access the Obi directly from my PC's browser 192.168.1.xx where xx is assigned to my Obi202.  This method worked, so accessing the Obi directly is the key.  Most other features, using Obitalk's expert configuration is fine.  I'm not sure why this feature requires direct access.

So what did you do when you access the Obi directly. Did you make the same callforwardonbusy change or did you do something different to get it to work.
Last I read here was that vestalink did not support this feature in which an Obi202 would call Ph2 if Ph1 was already in use. Are you saying that it works on Vestalink??