News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Does obitalk.com go down frequently?

Started by erkme73, March 17, 2014, 03:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erkme73

It's not often that I try to get into Obitalk.com, but the last few times I tried, I had very, very slow responses from the site.  In fact, today, I had to wait over an hour before it would respond.  

I just want to make sure it's not something I'm doing wrong (all other sites come up just fine).  

Just today I was (reluctantly) setting up Hangouts on a new tablet - and it kept erroring out.  I tried for over an hour, even resetting the device.  Later I find out that Google's Talk and Hangout servers were down for three hours.  Never fails.  Probably my fault.

giqcass

This appears to be the result of a spike in traffic.  I haven't seen anything like this before.
Long live our new ObiLords!

gderf

I have never seen obitalk.com completely down. Today it was severely overloaded, I suspect from tons of OBi GV users hitting the site to find out why their GV was out.

Just wait till GV kills off XMPP. I suspect most OBi/GV users haven't even heard about the upcoming end of XMPP. And when GV pulls the plug, they are going to come here wanting to know what happened.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

carl

Quote from: gderf on March 17, 2014, 03:24:48 PM
I have never seen obitalk.com completely down
Actually, I remember Obitalk completely down, lasted like a half day. But it was rather unusual.
It will go down for a while once XMPP is gone; I guess that will look like DDoS. :D

drgeoff

Just wait till GV kills off XMPP. I suspect most OBi/GV users haven't even heard about the upcoming end of XMPP. And when GV pulls the plug, they are going to come here wanting to know what happened.

It ought to be possible for Google, instead of just pulling the plug on XMPP access to GV on 14 May, to leave it running for a month or two after that but respond to all call attempts with a recorded announcement such as "Google has withdrawn this method of placing Google Voice calls. Please see www.google.com/xmpp for more information."

giqcass

Quote from: drgeoff on March 17, 2014, 04:16:04 PM
It ought to be possible for Google, instead of just pulling the plug on XMPP access to GV on 14 May, to leave it running for a month or two after that but respond to all call attempts with a recorded announcement such as "Google has withdrawn this method of placing Google Voice calls. Please see www.google.com/xmpp for more information."

That would be a nice way to do things.

I have never seen obitalk.com completely down. Today it was severely overloaded, I suspect from tons of OBi GV users hitting the site to find out why their GV was out.

It actually was dead for a little while today.  I got an instant error a couple times although I don't remember the code.  I guess we will have to commiserate over on dslr on May 15th.
Long live our new ObiLords!