News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 / Skype?

Started by tkc9789, April 24, 2011, 06:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tkc9789

Can the OBi110 be configured such that local call goes through GV and overseas call via Skype, if I subscribe to Skpye's "unlimited world" plan? If so, a configuration example will be greatly appreciated. 

RonR

The OBi doesn't do Skype.

QBZappy

tkc9789

Hi

Have a look at the last post of this thread. There is a link to a user who shows an example of how to setup the OBi with a 3rd party software to communicate over Skype. Note that for this solution you will need a computer running SipToSis Skype Gateway (Sip to Skype integration software). You might be able to accomplish what you want if you don't mind the extra trouble of setting this up, including the fact that a computer is in the mix.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=49.0
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

tkc9789

I wish there is a solution without having to rely on a separate computer to be on all the time.
Let me ask this then (same question was asked in another thread).  I'm entertaining switching to OBi hoping to reduce my phone bill. My wife calls overseas averaging 1000 minutes a month. Is there a voIP provider you would recommend that works with OBi and doesn't cost as much as Vonage?  Thank you.

Doraemon

Your wife's friends abroad have only to get GoogleVoice number :)

Or You may give OBi110 or Obi100 to your wife's friends abroad as a gift ;D

tkc9789

Quote from: Doraemon on April 25, 2011, 04:57:14 AM
Your wife's friends abroad have only to get GoogleVoice number :)

Or You may give OBi110 or Obi100 to your wife's friends abroad as a gift ;D
Unfortunately my wife's friend overseas only uses landlines.  They don't have Internet access at home like we do.

commstar

tkc9789, depending where you're calling Justvoip has great rates.
There is a solution for your skype problems, I myself have Skype on 24/7 without a PC, OBI110, one phone attached.
I have the Philips voip841 which is a (Skype) coordless Base Station phone system. I hooked that BS to the router and to the OBI110 phone port, if you have a land line hook that one up to the line port of the OBI110.

So in retrospect you have access to skype in/out, google voice, landline and any voip provider all through one phone handset.

Hope this helps you out..
Good luck.

QBZappy

commstar,

Welcome back from your trip. Hope you had a good time visiting.

I have been looking for a solution for an OBi located in Bolivia. Like your situation in Mexico the internet speed is very slow making the call very choppy and useless. Calling them over skype results in an acceptable call. I would like to bridge internet calls over the local PSTN. On Ebay I had been looking at this model SENAO SN 358 SKYPE, which is basically the same type of phone as the one you have.

I have no experience with these type of phones. Can you tell me if I make a skype call to the Philips phone connected to the OBi, can the Skype call be bridged over to the PSTN line?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

commstar

Hi QBZappy,
As far as I know the skype call on voip841 cannot be bridged per say on the OBI110 or on the
Voip841. But while reading the philips manual there is a section for call forwarding on incoming skype calls on section (8.4.2)

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/v/voip8411b_01/voip8411b_01_dfu_eng.pdf

So in essence you can hook up the voip841 phone port to the PSTN. Set up a free incoming number on the OBI110 (sipgate) and that should ring the phone attached to the OBI110 when a Skype call comes in.
Doing this setup there is no physical connection between the OBI110 or the Voip841.
I have not tried this, will try when i get a chance.

Hope this answers your question..

QBZappy

commstar,
Thanks for your suggestions.
I read the section of the user manual explaining the call forwarding feature. I can interpret it to mean either Skype or the voip841 unit is handling the call forwarding. I suspect that Skype is handling the call forwarding because Skype has that feature if you have a Skype plan. That would not work for me because it would require to have Skype out credit to make the long distance call. If it was the voip841 handling the call forwarding that would be interesting to know.

I'll wait for your testing to see what results you have. Talk to you later.

Doraemon

Hello

I knew nothing about Philips VOIP841 introduced by commstar.This product looks nice ;)
I've become very interested in this product.

mykmayk

Quote from: commstar on April 26, 2011, 08:27:29 AM

localphone.com has good rates also.  plus, you can get an iNum from them and they enable calling to and from other iNums.
əʞɪɯ mɪke

tkc9789

Quote from: mykmayk on April 27, 2011, 10:03:56 AM

localphone.com has good rates also.  plus, you can get an iNum from them and they enable calling to and from other iNums.
Thanks for the info.  Since I'm new to this, I have to ask the obvious. Does OBi110 work with localphone? 

commstar

QBZappy, just finished testing my Philips voip841 and call forwarding does work but you need funds in your skype account and it does take away from it by the minute.  :(

Your best bet is to send an OBI110 to a friend (in the same city/town in Bolivia) that has Hi-Speed internet, have him connect the unit to a router and the line port to his landline with no phone connected to the OBI110.
When you call the OBI110 the call will go out via the local PSTN to the original destination on the other side of town.

QBZappy

commstar, Thank you for your posting your results and suggestion.

tkc9789

Quote from: mykmayk on April 27, 2011, 10:03:56 AM

Great!!  Do you have a sip configuration I can model for localphone.com?