News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Skype as Alternative to GV Set Up Help

Started by threehappypenguins, March 19, 2014, 08:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threehappypenguins

I read RonR's tutorial on setting up Skype: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3920.0

I am looking at alternatives for unlimited long distance calling. Right now, me and my in-laws use Google Voice for our "long distance" here in Canada. I don't mind using a "pay-as-you-go" service because I don't talk on the phone much, but my mother-in-law can easily use up 4000-5000 minutes per month (she calls everybody and their mother).

So I thought that Skype for $2.95 unlimited seems like a pretty good deal. But I want to know... before I begin that long, complicated tutorial... would my mother-in-law need to have her computer on for making Skype calls through the Obi? Or is that only for initial setup? I have special dialing rules too, that I hope won't be interfered with. I have it so SP1 is 7 digit dialing, and SP2 (which is GV right now) is 11 digit dialing.

azrobert

The computer must be on with Skype and the Skype Gateway running.

If setup correctly it won't affect your dialing rules.

threehappypenguins

Quote from: azrobert on March 19, 2014, 09:04:12 AM
The computer must be on with Skype and the Skype Gateway running.

If setup correctly it won't affect your dialing rules.

Ok, that won't work. We are looking for something that will work without needing the computer on. Thanks for letting me know. I would have been REALLY upset to find that out after I put in all the work of setting it up!

Do you have any other ideas on cheap, unlimited North America calling? (US and Canada)

threehappypenguins

I found out my answer. Vestalink. I can get the $75 2 year plan which works out to be a little more than $3 a month. And I can call the US and Canada unlimited. As well as spoof the caller ID (so I can have my home Canadian number show up rather than a random American number or the GV number that currently shows up.

azrobert

The $75 is a promotional rate that ends 3/31/2014.

giqcass

There is a Skype Device that might work if you prefer Skype to Vestalink
freetalk-1200
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

The Freetalk device I mentioned needs a computer for set up but it does not need a computer to run all the time. $39 from multiple sources.

ceg3

Quote from: threehappypenguins on March 19, 2014, 09:54:46 AM
I found out my answer. Vestalink. I can get the $75 2 year plan which works out to be a little more than $3 a month. And I can call the US and Canada unlimited. As well as spoof the caller ID (so I can have my home Canadian number show up rather than a random American number or the GV number that currently shows up.
Understand I am a Vestalink subscriber and a big fan, but may I suggest that you contact them in advance just to be sure that 5000 minutes a month won't cause any issues. I doubt I will use that in a year with them, so I feel free to think I have unlimited. A couple of people have complained they ran into issues when Vestalink got the impression they were using the service for business, based, as the users stated, because of the call lengths.  Vestalink responded that the issue is not call lengths, but the number of calls made in short periods that seemed to match business practices.  Just a heads up to be safe with the in-laws.

giqcass

I wouldn't even suggest Vestalink to my friends or family.

Malachi

Quote from: giqcass on March 19, 2014, 07:07:45 PM

:D ok.. what do YOU suggest then as low(est) cost for unlimited calling?

giqcass

Quote from: Malachi on March 20, 2014, 06:45:10 AM
Quote from: giqcass on March 19, 2014, 07:07:45 PM

:D ok.. what do YOU suggest then as low(est) cost for unlimited calling?

That is a complicated question so here is a complicated answer.
My concerns about Vestalink have been stated already by others but I'll hit the high points.
I was immediately struck by that fact that they co-opted the Obi name.
The company seems to have been in existence for a while but I never heard of it till the rebraned to Obivoice.
Vestalink seems to be the third rebranding of the company.
The TOS has already changed several times.
Pricing keeps changing.
If reports are accurate you can be cancelled without notice for going over the limit on an unlimited plan.  The problem is nobody knows what the limitations are.  I have heard different explanations.  Other service providers define these limits even if they bury the details in fine print.  Most don't cancel you without notice either.  Vestalink recently had a large scale breakdown due to lack of resources available. Vestalink provides backup forwarding for failover but even that failed during the problem.
Finally Vestalink feels like a company that might go belly up any time.

Currently I'll just stick to what works. I use GV for outbound and Localphone as my backup outbound.  I use Google Voice forwarded to Callcentric for inbound.  I wouldn't yet recommend Phone power to everyone but it has a long track record and I am keeping an eye on them as a likely future candidate.  The primary complaint about phone power has to do with the rates jumping up after the contract period is over.  I don't know if this will be an issue with the Obi plan.  The Anveo plans are good for those with low usage and they have an excellent track record.

I wouldn't recommend VOIP to anyone that doesn't have a backup way to dial 911. It also depends on the needs of the person I am recommending the service to but in general here goes. 
High reliability low outgoing usage  Anveo Obi plan.
High usage lot's of features Phone Power Obi plan.
Lot's of international calling Localphone(Depending on destination)
High usage low cost medium reliability Nettalk
High usage low cost + SMS medium reliability Nettalk with unlimited text plan.  They have a nice app for that.

For backup VOIP calling (not 911) I would recommend Locaphone to anyone.  As long as you use your credit at least once per year it never expires.  As noted above it is good for many international destinations.  I also use it to call +883 Inum locations for free.  Google started charging for those calls.

Sadly if I were to recommend a reliable VOIP service provider right now to anyone that wanted high usage and basic features it would be one that isn't Obi compatible.  Basictalk Voip service which is powered by Vonage for $9.99 per month.  For those with an unreliable internet connection I would recommend straight talk home phone service at $15 per month.

Finally I have one other recommendation that would only apply to people with specific needs.  I use republic wireless for my cell phone service.  For those with an Obi + BT adapter this could be a really great company to use.  They have several plans available.  The unusual thing about this company is they keep cost down by using VOIP instead of Cellular to connect calls when WIFI is available.  They also have a WIFI only plan for $5 per month.  I pay $20 for unlimited everything plan.  This service is still relatively new but they are part of Bandwidth.com who has been a big player in the communications industry for some time.  For those of us in areas where cell coverage sucks the ability to use WIFI at home as a mini cell tower is great.  It's also a bonus for those that travel as the phone can be used outside of the country as a wifi only phone if they like.

Ostracus

Quote from: threehappypenguins on March 19, 2014, 08:15:55 AM
I read RonR's tutorial on setting up Skype: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3920.0

I am looking at alternatives for unlimited long distance calling. Right now, me and my in-laws use Google Voice for our "long distance" here in Canada. I don't mind using a "pay-as-you-go" service because I don't talk on the phone much, but my mother-in-law can easily use up 4000-5000 minutes per month (she calls everybody and their mother).

Hey Carl! I think Alcazar has a new customer. ;)

kgjulie

I second the suggestion of the Skype Freetalk adapter.

I have a Skype number.  When I initially got my OBI 202, I wanted to set up Skype as one of the services using Ron R's instructions, but was never able to get it to work on the OBI.  This was probably due to me and not RonR's instructions (instructions are set up for a Skype username, not a number).

For a long time, I had the $30 T-mo cell plan that had only 100 minutes, so I used GV to forward my "cell" number to my Skype number and I would take the call on Skype via its mobile app.  It worked really well until Skype updated their Windows software and their mobile app. Calls forwarded to Skype ended up going to Skype's voicemail and not GV's. I downgraded both platforms and was able to get it to work again.

I got a new cell phone (Japanese import) that works on AT&T but not T-mo, so now I have an AT&T plan with 500 minutes which, combined with GV + Obi, has been more than sufficient and works well.

When OBI announced that GV support was going away, I bought the Freetalk Skype adapter referenced above, and I've been really happy with it. I don't have it connected to GV.  I use it as a "home phone" for the kids to talk on as well as for incoming calls to my local area code (e.g., from the kids' schools, doctor, in-laws, etc.) where a local number is more helpful. I use the Obi as my "cell phone" since I work from home and make a fair amount of conference calls.  I only use my actual cell phone when away from home.

I'd been hoping to switch to Vestalink to replace GV on my Obi, since my cell phone is now having problems, but I failed on my first attempt to sign up with Vestalink.  Reading the boards is not exactly reassuring.

I'm thinking of just having GV --> Skype again using the Freetalk.  I've been really happy with it, although I use it far less than the Obi.  Just hoping the voice mail does not become an issue.  I really don't want my calls on the Skype vm, only the calls that initially came into the Skype number.

CheapSk86

I'm reviving this thread after a bit of a siesta to gain some insight on the last post.

Kgjulie - You mentioned you work from home, and I am in the same boat. I don't run my own business, but am a satellite worker for my company, and I find myself on several conference calls a day, some going close to 2 hours. GV was working great for this (reasons are obvious) and now that XMPP support is going away (OBI != GV) I am looking for a low cost alternative. The PAYG plans don't fit my needs in this case because there are some weeks where I may hit 500-800 minutes that week alone. And based on that calc, the 1000 min plans will see me hitting overages constantly.

Have you, or anyone else weighing in, found an alternative with the OBI that provides good service and high usage? I have seen some "unlimited" plans that are farcical because of their "up to 3000" or "not to exceed 4000" disclaimers. I saw the PP plan through the OBI "ASP" link but it doesn't mention usage or whether there is a limit. Not to mention several threads and posts having difficulty with reliability of svc with PP.

Thanks,
Dave

TonyTib

I thought about the Skype route, but decided it was much better to use a normal ITSP (pricing is just as good, it's less hassle to setup, and one less device to keep powered on)

Dave - have you thought about using more than one ITSP?  Having multiple providers is one of the Obi's big pluses.  From my forum browsing here are some thoughts:
1. Heavy (somewhat?) work-related calls might not go down well with several of the providers (especially the "unlimited" plans) - I would check with the provider first on any "unlimited" plan
2. It might make sense to setup a provider just for outgoing conference calls, such as CircleNet or LocalPhone (5000 min for $5 -- so far Localphone is working well for me, but some have had problems setting it up).
3. If your usage is highly variable, but averages < 2000 min/month, Future 9's $5 plan might fit (since they do roll-over minutes) -- please check the details.

Good luck!

giqcass

Welcome to the forum  CheapSk86  :)

If most of your minutes are conference calling for work you are most likely sitting in front of your computer when you make the call.  Would that be an accurate statement?  You could cut your outgoing minutes dramatically by using the Google Voice portal to initiate the call.  A lot of providers give you unlimited inbound calling.  By using that trick you could probably stay within most providers limits.  As mentioned earlier having multiple providers helps as well.  If the conference calls are to 800 numbers there are plenty of companies that will connect you to those for free thereby eliminating a lot of outgoing minutes.  If you check into the conference hosting company(assuming it is an outside provider) some of those provide a sip uri you can dial for free.

The Obi gives you a lot of options.

SteveInWA

And, aside from giqcass' good answers, your employer is the actual cheapskate if they are not reimbursing you for home office phone service to use for their business purposes.  Can't you expense the bill?  Otherwise, as pointed out, they ought to have a toll-free number for your use.

CheapSk86

Thanks guys for the follow-up.

The conference lines I have to dial in to are typically part of a conference configuration with WebEx or Adobe and I believe they are always toll-free. I could be wrong, but I know some of them are 866 and 877 numbers. If toll-free is free outgoing on the plans, that will definitely make a HUGE dent in my outgoing minutes. The rest of my calls are to the office, which is several states away, but not toll-free. But those account for 25% - 40% at most. The conference calls make up the bigger part of my call time.

It would be correct that many times I am sitting in front of my computer making the call, but tying myself to the computer is a little more restrictive than is feasible in many cases. Granted, I could use GV when I am stationary in front of it, so that's an option I could use, but many times I need to be able to move around. Sometimes I do use the VOIP options built in to the conference app (eg: WebEx has a computer audio option). Unfortunately, I can't have them call me for the conference, because they lines are specific to dial-in.

As for CircleNet or LocalPhone, I haven't looked at CN yet. I did some browsing of LocalPhone but it looked like it required dialing through an existing landline. Maybe I misunderstood it, but it looked like the primary role was to act as an inexpensive proxy for long distance calling. If the toll-free calls are actually free, a 5000 minute plan might work well for me.

I haven't looked at CircleNet yet. I have browsed Anveo, VestaLink, Voip.ms, Vitelity, PhonePower, a couple of the parent cos to some of those. I ruled out the PAYG plans because of cost in the end.

And my line would be considered a tax-deductible expense, but it is one of the expenses the company doesn't reimburse for. The policy for reimbursement is the hardware and service belongs to/becomes theirs. For a reasonable cost plan, the low price would be more beneficial for me to keep the hardware and maintain the service. I just have to find the right one that's reliable and meets my usage needs.

You guys are great with the info on here, btw. I appreciate all the knowledge. I have been "browsing" the forums and reading up on stuff for a while, but haven't posted until recently.

azrobert

You can setup a free tollfree provider on a Voice Gateway then it doesn't matter if the provider you choose has free tollfree service.

I use tf.callwithus.com or tollfree.future-nine.com, but there are others.

See:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7726.msg49995#msg49995

CheapSk86

So setting that up uses a digitmap specific to tollfree numbers and routes the call through a different provider when it matches that case?!

Sorry, for the surprise(?!) but that sounds really.. enticing, intriguing, too good to be true, simple stupid? I didn't know there were free routing services for that. And if that's the case, with good quality and reliability, that could be an awesome helper.

Can you provide me a little more info (read the link) as to your experience (not just + | -) and how it works?

I feel like I hijacked the Skype thread. Sorry OP. In honesty my first post was to piggy-back on the skype discussion and feasibility of using one of those approaches, but it looks like the conversation has taken a new direction.