News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Dropped calls with Vestalink and ObiHai 100

Started by CTAbs, March 21, 2014, 08:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTAbs

Hi  - I'm a fairly new customer to Vestalink and just experienced 2 dropped calls in a short span.  I'm using an ObiHai 110 with hardware version 3.4 and software version 1.3 (build 2824).  We've experienced some other dropped calls in the past as well (and obviously, it started when we switched from GV to Vestalink, never a problem before). 

Any suggestions for us to try out?

Help!

erkme73

CT - I'm having the same issues, plus more.  I'm doing my best to give ObiVoice/Vestalink time to grow into their role as GV replacement.  I just sent them a pretty elaborate email highlighting my issues.

I'll paste a copy below.  Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you.  When I hear back from them, I'll return to this thread and post their reply.

QuoteMy number is XYZ.  I've been having regular reliability and call quality issues ever since making the jump from Google Voice to your service.  The fix always seems to be power-cycling the Obi box - but that's little comfort.

Here are some of the things I've been experiencing with both accounts (XYZ and ABC).  These are items that come to mind, but is not all inclusive:

1) Outgoing calls work just fine, but phone does not ring when called either directly or through GV.  Caller hears an indefinite ring (VM is intentionally disabled).  Power-cycling OBi fixes this.

2) Noticeable audio delay between caller and recipient - upwards of 2 seconds at its worst.  Calling the "echo test" number, reveals little or no delay - but when making or receiving calls, it's very distracting and frustrating.  It happens only on the OBi box with OBiVoice/Vestalink.   GV is forwarding calls to this line, as well as my cell (which uses wifi calling on the same LAN as the OBi box).  When calls are made/received on the cell, there is no delay.  It appears to be between the OBi box and your service - as it does not exist with OBi box using GV's free service.

3) Incoming callers sometimes get two or three rings, then a busy signal when calling this number - either directly or as it is forwarded from GV.  When this happens, it knocks out my ability to receive any calls, as your service commandeers the call from GV's forwarding service so that I can't get to it on my cell.  Power-cycling the OBi box fixes this problem.

4) When making outgoing calls on this line, about half the time, the OBi attendant (male voice) will say, "The number you are calling XYZ has been rejected by the service provider, error 404".  Simply hanging up and hitting redial resolves this problem.  So it's not a case of a miscalled number.

5) On several occasions, when a call is started (either received or placed), the call will work as it should for about 30 seconds, then abruptly end.  No new dial tone, no other sound - just silence.  Redialing (or receiving a return call) will reproduce the problem.  Power-cycling the OBi device resolves this problem.

So you see, with the exception of the rather consistent audio delay, nearly all of these problems are resolved with a power-cycle of the box. 

I have TWO of the OBi 110, single-line boxes.  Both go to the same switch to which my PC is connected - both OBi boxes have the same problem/solution sequence.  The PC has no connectivity issues.

My internet tests out at 80mbps down, 38mbps up, with a latency of 7ms.  Packet loss and jitter is 0 (according to Visual Route).  My ISP is Verizon Fios.

And to restate: None of these issues existed when using this same hardware with the GV services.

I am more than willing to troubleshoot and beta test - or do whatever it is you think needs to be done.  But leaving it the way it is now is proving to be too unreliable, and too frustrating to be used as a normal phone service.  For example, when away from home, and waiting for that all-important call, if your service reverts to two rings and a busy signal for the caller, my cell will ring once, and the call is "missed".  There is no way to fix this other than to run home, and power-cycle the box (or log into GV and disable call forwarding to the Vestalink number).

Please let me know what I can do to improve my service.

erkme73

Well, add another gripe.  This AM I got a call to my cell (direct) from family that can't get to me through GV or the Vestalink number.  Turns out, if someone calls my GV number, my cell phone rings once, and then "missed call".  In the mean time, the caller hears one ring, then:

Quote"Nobody is available to take your call at the moment.  You cannot reply to this message because the sender does not have a mailbox".
[/b]

This, despite having VM turned off, and ring set to 90 seconds on Vestlink's interface.   Man is this frustrating.

ETA:  Turns out this was self-inflicted.  I followed the "Beta" link, and enabled "beta" on the web gui - though I didn't actually change the OBi proxy, user, URI, etc settings.  I turned it off after reading some of the trouble tickets.  Apparently, that didn't turn it off.  I just double checked, and beta was still "on".  After hitting "off" again, the problem resolved.  I can now receive calls.