News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Vesatlink Down!

Started by aopisa, March 28, 2014, 09:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aopisa

First, my GV number stopped forwarding.

Now today I cannot make calls out on my Vestalink account.

Their web site shows that they went down about an hour ago for about an hour. They have a scrolling message on their status page that they experienced a ddos attack and they will be boosting server resources later toady.

Beginning to think I made a mistake and wasted my money.

GottWhat

I agree. Worst part is I signed up for two years of this. Also signed my wife's grandma up as well. She is hating it and everyone is stressing out about it.

reltub

Quote from: aopisa on March 28, 2014, 09:40:08 AM
Now today I cannot make calls out on my Vestalink account.

Beginning to think I made a mistake and wasted my money.

I hope you have backup voip providers. Yes, you are going to see service interruptions, but if you have
a backup provider, then the problem can be minimized for outgoing calls.

I am glad to see vestalink is back up at the moment.

CLTGreg

Agree on the backup provider and Callcentric's free number is a good way to go with Google Voice because you can initiate an outbound call through the website.

I was on a call today that was cut off at 30 min. Is this a new policy? I've seen it happen at 60 but maybe this is part of the service burp.

callhome

Quote from: GottWhat on March 28, 2014, 09:55:50 AM
I agree. Worst part is I signed up for two years of this. Also signed my wife's grandma up as well. She is hating it and everyone is stressing out about it.
As I understand it you can cancel at any time. You just pay the monthly rate for the time there. I'm still happy with the service.

ceg3

No one enjoys outages, but these wake up calls for Intelafone will not go unanswered, of that I'm sure. I am not overly troubled by anything that goes wonky when the Internet is involved and expect issues from time to time. I think most people carry a phone with them and as others have suggested it's easy enough to provision another SP, with even GV for the time being.

et_phone_home

Guys, I think I'm going to switch providers. Too many issues with Vestalink. What other services offer outgoing number spoofing ?

GottWhat

Let us know what you find. The reason I went with Vestalink is they have simple and inexpensive plan options. I don't want to pay for things separately. I like how I just pay $59 and have service for two years.

I hate to say it but this might be an example of "you get what you pay for". I hope VL turns things around because we are not happy right now.

aopisa

Quote from: GottWhat on March 28, 2014, 12:51:32 PM
Let us know what you find. The reason I went with Vestalink is they have simple and inexpensive plan options. I don't want to pay for things separately. I like how I just pay $59 and have service for two years.

I hate to say it but this might be an example of "you get what you pay for". I hope VL turns things around because we are not happy right now.

Yes, I just wanted something that seemed easy to set up and use. I am not a telephony expert nor do I want to be. It was a steep enough learning curve getting the Obi to work with Google Voice and setting up E911 the first time. Vestalink did a good job of instilling confidence that they were on the ball enough to be trusted with my simple needs for a home telephone line. Now I am not so sure. I am not giving up yet, but I have only been with them a few days and there have been numerous issues already that have me concerned. I still have a credit with Anveo from me E911 service so I am going to give them another look.

Codesmith

Vestalink has a status page http://status.vestalink.com, and they are tweeting about the incident (apparently a DDOS attack), so I am glad that they are keeping their customers well informed and not hiding their mistakes and outages.

Make no mistake, the dropping of the Google Talk option is both a massive challenge and a tremendous opportunity and I fully expect them to suffer additional "growing pains" as they struggle to add new features, improve service, all while dealing with a massive influx of new customers.

As a backup I signed up for Callcentric's free incoming plan.  I have Google Voice forwarding to both providers and to the same phone port on my Obi202.  Outgoing calls and E911 are via Vestalink spoofing my Google Voice Number.

I also have a cell phone so I'm covered in case of a power outage.  

I signed up for 2 years, but with 30 day money back guarantee and them to bill me the monthly rate and returning the rest if I cancel, I am not terribly worried.  If they succeed I locked in a great price, if they fail it will probably happen early enough that I won't be out much.  

MikeHObi

Back when Callcentric was having issues with DDOS I didn't drop them.  I just used my other account which was with Anveo. I still use both and will maintain both.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

cluckercreek

Quote from: MikeHObi on March 28, 2014, 03:44:44 PM
Back when Callcentric was having issues with DDOS I didn't drop them.  I just used my other account which was with Anveo. I still use both and will maintain both.

Exactly! I have had great service with Vestalink. A DDOS isn't something to drop them for. Come on people. I've learned from the wisdom of the board to have a backup. I use GV on SP2 @ present but will probably and Future 9. I'm also using up my time on a NetTALK DUO on the Phone port of my Obi 110.

et_phone_home

is cnam included with the free incoming callcentric number? how would I set this up alongside an existing service with Obihai 110?

Edit: i just followed the guide on Callcentric's site. Afterwards, all I did was add my CC number into Googlevoice and disabled Vestalink as the forwarding number. CNAM seems to be working even with the free incoming service. I'll be using CC an incoming service full time.
One thing I've noticed is that Google voice forwards much faster to Callcentric then Vestalink. I mean, Callcentric's inbound service is free so you can't say "you get what you pay for".

Codesmith

I use both Callcentric and Vestalink both on the same Obi202 and both the target for the same GV number and currently they both ring at identical times and have done so for days if not longer.