News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV callback/forwarding and call quality using different ITSPs

Started by chetstone, April 04, 2014, 10:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetstone

Man am I bummed about XMPP going away. I've had my GV number for about 6 years now. For the first 3 years I had significant problems with delays, echoes, dropped calls, etc. with GV forwarding/calling back to my rural landline. Since getting my OBI 110 nearly 3 years ago I've been spoiled by 100% pristine calling quality using XMPP.

I first heard about Google throwing over XMPP about a month ago, and immediately deleted GV from my OBI to start testing alternatives. I don't have my landline any more, but have accounts with several VOIP providers, all of which provide good call quality by themselves (not involving GV.) I first tried forwarding GV to netsapiens, which would be my least expensive option, because of a good deal through my ISP.
But I started experiencing some of the quality issues above.

I wonder if the fact that my phone number belongs to a rural rate center has anything to do with the problems? Would a number from a large metropolitan area work better? Or is it just the provider? I recently started forwarding to an 800 number I have with Vitelity. Though expensive, so far the results seem to be better. But to be honest, I don't use the telephone that much so testing this way is slow going and because there are so many variables, the results are uncertain.

So I wonder what others' experiences are? I'm not interested in porting my number---I like GV. I just want the best quality I can find using callback/forwarding. In other threads, I've seen many recommendations for CallCentric. Is this because of quality or price? I'm only interested in the former.

Thanks for your opinions...

MikeHObi

Have you ever tested your voip performance when you were seeing issues with forwarding?  Google Voice doesn't do SIP, but if you do forwarding you are using SIP and it may be that your internet connection is not ideal for SIP performance.

People often refer to Callcentric because they have some New York based DID's you can use for FREE incoming minutes.  Historically  call quality I have experienced has been good with both Anveo and Callcentric, but Google Voice has issues completing calls to both of my DID's with those companies when it forwards.

Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

chetstone

Thanks for your report.

My internet connection is more than adequate for SIP. I have no issues with SIP calls using any of my providers. The only issue is when GV forwarding is involved.