News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone Power pergatory

Started by lburgguy, April 06, 2014, 12:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lburgguy

I signed up with Phone Power three days ago.  Not working.  I called tech and although they were very helpful they told me they'd get back to me.  I called them on day three letting them know I now have a different router and have configured it according to their website.  I am running the Linksys E2500.  Tech guy was great but found no solution so I'm back to waiting for someone to come up with a fix.  What the heck?  Am I basically an unpaid beta tester??  BTW, Google Voice and Vestalink both worked.  I can call into Obi to check the echo as well.  Seems like it's on their end.  Uggggg

Taoman

I may be able to help as I recently signed up for Phone Power. How did you go about configuring your Obi for Phone Power? Did you sign up through the Obi portal and configure your Obi at that time? That is the way I did it and it would not work for me after completing the signup. I also called PP tech support and the tech worked on things for awhile but we could never get it working. So he had me delete the configuration and then configure things manually (or maybe there is a Phone Power setup wizard I used?) and then everything started working.
My suggestion:
Reset your Obi to factory defaults.
Delete your Obi from the Obitalk dashboard and then add it back in again
Start the configuration process again from Obitalk. Manually configure your settings using Generic Provider (or use the Phone Power setup wizard if there is one....I honestly can't remember) and see how that works for you.

Johnny

Quote from: lburgguy on April 06, 2014, 12:39:37 PM
I signed up with Phone Power three days ago.  Not working.  I called tech and although they were very helpful they told me they'd get back to me.  I called them on day three letting them know I now have a different router and have configured it according to their website.  I am running the Linksys E2500.  Tech guy was great but found no solution so I'm back to waiting for someone to come up with a fix.  What the heck?  Am I basically an unpaid beta tester??  BTW, Google Voice and Vestalink both worked.  I can call into Obi to check the echo as well.  Seems like it's on their end.  Uggggg

Did you enable sip credentials in your PP account?

You need to use the info that appears there to configure your Obi.

I had similar issues as you until I enabled sip credentials and used that info.  Once I did that, everything worked.

Good luck......

lburgguy

I enabled SIP Credentials on PP site.  Now what???  I hear you saying set it up manually, but how?  Expert Mode?  That is too intimidating to me. 

lburgguy

Okay, so this is where I'm at.  I go to setup the generic server and get to this screen.  I enter the data that I have typed in red.  Does this look right???  Especially both proxy servers, inbound and outbound the same?  Also, what about URI?  Thanks!!

Service Provider Proxy Server      sip.phonepower.com

Service Provider Proxy Server Port      5060
Outbound Proxy Server      sip.phonepower.com

Outbound Proxy Server Port      5060
User Name      My phone number
Password      the password on the PP page
URI                I have no idea if I need to fill this in, and with what??

lburgguy

Also, a few days ago I was in the Expert Mode and I may have messed things up there.  I take it the many factory resets I've done, ***81 have cleared any of my mistakes right? 

Thanks again.

gderf

You shouldn't need URI, but if you did it would be in the form of:

username@sip.phonepower.com

Having done what you posted already, what happened?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

lburgguy

IT WORKED!  Thanks.  Key was deleting the OBi and then adding it back and then doing the manual config.  Thanks again!!!

Johnny

Quote from: lburgguy on April 06, 2014, 04:15:01 PM
I enabled SIP Credentials on PP site.  Now what???  I hear you saying set it up manually, but how?  Expert Mode?  That is too intimidating to me. 

I'm going from memory here, as I cancelled my accounts at PP.

When I first signed up through the Obi portal apparently some provisioning was done automatically from PP but until you actually get into your account at PP and enable sip credentials you can't complete the set up.

After I enabled sip credentials and got the information I needed, it was a simple matter of inputting that into the Obi screen where you put your password and other pertinent info.  Then it all worked.

I did not at any time enter expert mode in the Obi portal or make any changes other than what PP provided after I enabled sip credentials.

I realize you might have made changes that I didn't make so that could be an issue.

PP support should be able to figure this out.

Good luck.......

lburgguy

Can anyone tell me what this means on the SIP page of Phone Power:

The recommended registration interval is 4 hours.  I'm asking because when I registered the SIP info in my Obi my own local phone was able to call the Obi phone but a relative was unable to get through.  Does it take time for my number to disseminate along throughout the phone system or something???  Thank.

Thanks.

jlynnwatts

I spent some quality time with tech support today at Phone Power. Since it did not meet my needs, I had just cancelled my Vestalink service and was having trouble getting my Obi to accept the Phone Power software setup.  In order to get the Obi100 to configure correctly we had to do a factory reset. I used a modified sequence similar to the one that "BHochstrasser" mentioned on this forum. It took care of all the residual programming that Vestalink had apparently left on my Obi. Here is what we did:

Getting rid of any remnants of the previous provider:
1. De-couple service provider from SIP1 and SIP2 on the Obi100.
2. Delete the Obi100 from ObiTalk.
3. Using a paper clip, hold the reset for 15-20 seconds until I got a fast blinking green
   light and finally a red light for the factory reset.
4. From ObiTalk, Add New Device.
5. Enter the "**5-xxxx" code from my phone handset to register the factory reset device
   with ObiTalk.
6. Finally, have Phone Power set up the Obi as the new provider.

After the reset and Phone Power provider install everything seems to work very well indeed!

jwatts

Taoman

It is saying the period of time before your Obi should "register" again with Phone Power is 240 seconds. Your setting is probably less than that but it isn't hurting anything. Mine is currently set for 180 seconds. Setting the registration interval higher uses less data.

This shouldn't have anything to do with your relative not being able to call you. Log into the PP web portal and look at your Call log/usage. Do you see the phone call from your relative listed there?
Go back to the SIP Credentials page under Modify Services. What do you see under Registered User Agents?

When you go into the Obitalk Dashboard does it say "registered" under Status? I can tell you how to set your registration interval to 240 seconds but it would mean going into Expert Configuration. I realize it is intimidating to go into Expert Configuration. But just about everything is intimidating until you've done it a few times. Right?  ;) You can't do any potential damage unless you uncheck the ObiTALK settings box, change the setting, and then click on the Submit button at the bottom of the page. And even if you did mess something up you now know how to start all over......which should take you less than 5 minutes. I would recommend you become comfortable with the procedure of starting over again and reconfiguring everything. Do it for drill. It doesn't hurt anything and you will then become comfortable enough to start fine tuning your configuration (like registration interval). If something gets screwed up....big deal. Just start over again and you'll be back up and running in 5 minutes. Understand that your subscription with Phone Power is heavily discounted and a BYOD (bring your own device) service which means you are responsible for the correct functioning of your OBi, not Phone Power. Tech support may try and help you but you can't count on them as you apparently found out.
Just my opinion. Others may disagree.

lburgguy

Thanks Taoman.  It's not that I'm intimidated really, I enjoy a challenge, I was just afraid I had messed something up previously in the Expert Mode but I suppose doing the factory reset resets it. 

Yeah, I put a lot of effort into choosing my number so my relative could call toll free.  I was hoping it was just a glitch that they couldn't call me when I could call my Obi with my cell phone.  I looked up the exchange again and it should be local.  IDK, I ask them to try again today. 

I do see the Obi registered in the SIP page at PP.  I understand that BYOD means no real tech support and I'm not one to run and seek help from anyone usually but it's funny that they didn't know how to fix the issue even after multiple calls and a few hours trying to diagnose the situation.  I guess their autoconfiguation simply doesn't work. 

Thanks again for everyone helping me get this working. I sure hope this is a better experience than Vestalink.  BTW, I could tell IMMEDIATELY that the call quality was better with PP!  It was crystal clear when I called my relative unlike Vestalink.