News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No Call Waiting ID-- Possible Defect??

Started by mo832, April 12, 2014, 08:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

I have recently noticed that my caller id on call waiting is not working. I have just been through an extensive series of troubleshooting/diagnostic exercises with no success.

1. I have looked at the call history with GV and Callcentric, and all incoming calls are showing up with CID, even on call waiting.
2. I hear the call waiting tone (with a click-beep which indicates Call waiting ID) but don't see any display
3. I have checked the Obi call history, and it shows every call coming in with the proper ID
4. I have tried 3 completely different handsets/CID display devices, and the behavior is still the same. No Call waiting ID.
5. I have checked the call waiting ID option in the Obi config, and it is selected
6. Regular/standard caller id works fine

It appears from this the ONLY weak link in this chain is the Obi itself. Is it possible the Obi could be bad/defective, and not actually sending the caller id text when it comes in on call waiting? Wouldn't that be weird?

Is there anything else I can check or something I might do to fix this?

Edit to add: I have an Obi100, if that matters.

drgeoff

From the OBi Device Admin Guide:

"CWCID signal is sent to the phone when it is in the off hook state. It starts with a handshake between the OBi device and the attached phone, by exchanging audible short tones. OBi will proceed with the transmission of the remaining Caller ID signal only if the handshake succeeds (with a phone is capable of displaying CWCID). In that case the phone mutes the handset earpiece until the CWCID signal is complete. Some users however may still find the audible handshake tones objectionable, especially if their phones do not support CWCID. We recommend to those users to set this option to No, if they do not want CWCID feature, or do not have phones that are capable of displaying CWCID."

Do the phones you tried support CWCID in addition to CID?

mo832

*ALL* phones/display devices I tried support CWCID, and in fact have already been successfully displaying this information all along until recently. This is only a recent problem.

This issue has been resolved. Through another forum, it was determined that setting DTMFRxMode in Phone port from Hardware to Software for dialing into touch tone systems was causing the issue. When I changed the setting back to Hardware, the CWCID started working again. This has been judged to be a "bug" in the firmware, as CWCID should not be affected normally by this setting.

In any case, it is back to working as expected for now (with the noted caveats).

The original topic question "possible defect?", the answer is YES, although it is not that I have a defective unit, it is a defect common to all similar Obi's if the settings are set as described above. This issue with CWCID was confirmed on another user's Obi when tested with the above settings.

KAura

Quote from: drgeoff on April 15, 2014, 03:50:25 AM

"It starts with a handshake between the OBi device and the attached phone, by exchanging audible short tones."

DTMF is short audible tones...  
if you turn of DTMF Receive,
then why is it a defect?

edit: I guess it is a software problem if
the software isn't emulating correctly.

Thanks for the info.

mo832

According to people smarter than me about this stuff, I did not "turn off" DTMF, I only changed it from Hardware to Software, which should still do the same thing, and should not affect whether CWCID works or doesn't work.

To use your analogy, If I had a camera which had optical (hardware) zoom and digital (software) zoom, and I switched from optical to digital, I should still be able to zoom in or out, just the quality might be different. But it should work at least.

At best, it is a "design" defect.

YMMV

drgeoff

Quote from: KAura on April 15, 2014, 11:46:30 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on April 15, 2014, 03:50:25 AM

"It starts with a handshake between the OBi device and the attached phone, by exchanging audible short tones."

DTMF is short audible tones... 
if you turn of DTMF Receive,
then why is it a defect?

When I turn off a radio or tv
I don't hear any sound, or if
I place a plate in front of the
infrared receiver it doesn't
allow me to change channels?

"if you turn of (sic) DTMF Receive".  Don't know why you wrote that.  The Phone port DTMFRxMode setting is not an on/off switch.  It is a choice between hardware and software mode.  Mainly intended to control how the OBi decodes dialled digits.  Sure looks like a bug (=defect) to me.

KAura

Has someone submitted this 'bug' so it can be corrected?