News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to move from GV to new provider - plain old home phone use

Started by LarryD, April 13, 2014, 04:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryD

Hi All:  I have been reading this forum for a while and the more I read, the more confused I get.  I have an OBI-100 which I use as a plain old home phone.  I'm using GV right now and of course need to switch to a new provider.
    I really don't want anything special, just a phone line with CID, and I would like the provider to NOT enable voicemail as I have a voicemail machine in my home I'd rather use. (of course that was impossible with GV). 
    I am looking for a referral to a provider that will make this seamless as I travel quite often and my wife is not very tech-savvy. 
    It seems that Anveo has good voice quality and many features, but their website is really difficult to use even with an amateur's knowledge of how the system works.
     So, any suggestions of who are the best providers to switch to in order to have an easy/semaless switchover and just provide plain old telephone service without having to call tech support to keep it running?
Thanks......

MurrayB

Welcome LarryD

I have had great success with VOIP.ms good website and quality. You can select your DID number if you need them. I ported three from Verizon quick and painless great porting staff and support via chat at no charge.

Good Luck!

JH2011

Callcentric is great. After trying Vestalink (connectivity issues) and Anveo (installation issues, poor support and bad refund attitude), I found Callcentric very easy to setup, very low cost ($5 up front) and reliable (been around for years). It only took 5 minutes to install my Obi box and my GV number (caller spoofing) only took a few minutes to set-up and an hour or two to verify with Callcentric.

I hope that's helpful.

MikeHObi

Anveo, CallCentric, Vestalink, Future 9, Circlenet, have all expressed interests in getting your business and should be able to provide you a simple DID with no voicemail.  you may want to do a trial with whoever you pick to make sure that Google voice forwarding to that new number work.  You should also confirm with the provider you pick that you can spoof your google voice CID for outgoing calls so that your outgoing calls show the caller id number you want. 

If you want to port your google voice number you may be limited in the providers you can pick from as they may not all be able to port your particular number.

I personally use both Anveo and Callcentric.  Both of which have I have had limited contact with but when I have they have been able to resolve issues quickly.  Generally their service just works. 
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Marty.ba.calif.usa

I first got in to VOIP about 1 month ago.  Got an Obi110 (which I returned for an Obi200), signed in to Obitalk, and started reading.  Read about Vestalink, who had a free one month trial, so I first signed up with them.  However, I really wanted flexible incoming call filtering to eliminate telemarketers while allowing both known and forgotten contacts to still reach us, via voicemail at least.  So, Vestalink wasn't really what I wanted.  Also, I didn't care about lots of free minutes, as I have unlimited cell phone use.

I saw Anveo listed as a preferred provider, and after poking around, saw that they had everything I wanted: free incoming minutes, super-flexible filtering, and free number porting (at the time).  At $2/month, plus only 80 cents/month for E911, it was cheap to try, so I signed up with a monthly account and forwarded incoming calls to my existing number for testing.  I also signed up for voip.ms to try them out, as it was also very cheap.

Obitalk had no problems provisioning either one.

Now, a few words about Anveo's famous website...  It really isn't that bad once you get used to their services.  Of course when you have a lot more services, the web site is more complex.  And some things aren't that clear, but between the obitalk forum and the dslreports forum (voip tech talk), you can get answers to all your questions.  I've gotten responses from people who work at the providers, and many very knowledgeable users.  Plus I've learned a lot.

When I decided I liked Anveo's services, I went through the website, and made a list of all the links with notes that I thought would be useful.  I think I used it once or twice for navigation, but by then, I knew the site, and it seemed to make sense to me.  Just realize that some people may have incoming but no outgoing, or may have multiple DIDs or no DIDs, etc.  So everything can't be on one page, but you can get to most of it from the main control panel.

The payoff for me is I have not received even one telemarketer call since I ported over my number.  I got one voicemail from a company I do business with, but no telemarketer voicemails - they normally don't bother.  Friends on my contact list get through normally, and my home answering machine works normally.  Unknown callers can get through if they pay attention by pressing a key to continue, or another key to leave voicemail.  I have 2 blacklists: one goes right to voicemail, and the other gets the tone and recording for out of service numbers.  I get an immediate email for voicemail messages.

And for the measly $2.80/month, I also get unlimited incoming and outgoing faxes, although this is a bit iffy, and is not supported so it probably can't really be counted on, although I haven't had a chance to test, and I don't really use fax much.

If you make a lot of calls outgoing, it could add up, I guess, but it's not difficult to use another service for outgoing calls.