News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Switch to PowerPhone, all is well but voicemail access

Started by primerisk, April 14, 2014, 08:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

primerisk

I signed up with PowerPhone smoothly enough and the ANI is switched to show my GoogleVoice number on outbound calls, BUT if I try to retrieve voicemail I am greeted by a very long silence followed by the message:

The number you dialed xxx-xxx-xxxx was rejected by the service provider.  Reason is 487.

Being able to retrieve my voicemail from my phone is a basic requirement.  PowerPhone tech support is worthless.  First they directed me to setup Voicemail on their system which I refused.  Then they said that they specifically blocked access to 3rd party voicemail.  Next they said it was a problem at Google Voice, so call them.  I pointed out that this was a service specifically intended to work with Google Voice and ObiHai he suggested that I stop using Google Voice.

So...I asked how to get my 30-day guarantee refund and he happily directed me to www.powerphone.com/cancel.  So much for customer service.

Does anyone have their service transferred over to PowerPhone and able to retrieve voicemail from Google Voice?  Any other suggestions before I cancel?

KAura

487 – Call Cancelled --- (rfc3398)
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3398#section-7.1.7

See this discussion:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7510.msg48536#msg48536

So we don't know if it's the CID and GV is rejecting the call,
or if PP isn't completing the call, but I suspect GV is cancelling
the call.

I would try this: get a free NY DID and forward it to GV, give
the NY DID a call, and see what happens.

Taoman

Quote from: primerisk on April 14, 2014, 08:34:12 PM

Does anyone have their service transferred over to PowerPhone and able to retrieve voicemail from Google Voice?  Any other suggestions before I cancel?

This has nothing to do with PhonePower. You are spoofing your outbound CID with your GV number. Google Voice will not pickup a call that appears to be coming from itself. The same thing would happen with any carrier if you were spoofing your number. I would say to try and use *67 to block outgoing CID but that's not working for me. And that may be because I blocked anonymous callers in GV. I will try and investigate further. It is a conundrum I'll grant you but again, it has nothing to do with PhonePower.

primerisk

Quote from: Taoman on April 14, 2014, 09:28:37 PM
...Google Voice will not pickup a call that appears to be coming from itself. The same thing would happen with any carrier if you were spoofing your number. I would say to try and use *67 to block outgoing CID but that's not working for me.

Now that's the first theory that seems to make any sense.  If I call with *67, there is again a long delay, but it will then ring and I'll eventually get voicemail, but it won't recognize the number and you have to enter a forwarding number. 

That is going to be a problem for lots and lots of GV users. 

Taoman

Quote from: primerisk on April 14, 2014, 09:44:45 PM

Now that's the first theory that seems to make any sense.  If I call with *67, there is again a long delay, but it will then ring and I'll eventually get voicemail, but it won't recognize the number and you have to enter a forwarding number.  

That is going to be a problem for lots and lots of GV users.  

If you hit the * key when she picks up you'll be asked to enter your PIN and then one of your forwarding numbers.

The following worked for me when dialing with *67

QuoteIf you're using Google Voice with a non-Google number: Your PIN gives you access to Google Voice settings and voicemail from the phones you've registered in the Phones tab of your Google Voice Settings. If you call your Google voicemail access number from a registered number, you may have to enter your PIN to access your messages, depending on the settings you've set up on the Phones tab. You can access your Google voicemail from any phone by calling the mobile phone and going to voicemail. During the voicemail greeting, press * , enter your PIN, and press #. If you're calling from a non-registered number, you'll need to enter your number as well for security purposes.

KAura

This is from another forum:

Try calling your Google number from a non-forwarding phone, as soon as it starts ringing, press the Star key, enter your PIN to access your GV voicemail system.

primerisk

Ok, so I've given up on PhonePower.  They folks are nice enough and all, but their service just won't fit.  Anveo offers the power and flexibility to make it all come together.

Here's how I got it all to come together:

1) Sign up with Anveo for whatever plan works for you

2) Get the number verified and configured under one of the OBI SPs

3) Log on to the Anveo account and go to My Account -> Account Preferences

4) In the left-hand side select Custom Caller ID and add a caller id to spoof that is in your Google Voice account as a forwarding number.  Don't overwrite 01 and don't forget to verify the number.

5) On your Obi, you must change the digit map so you can trigger the Custom Caller ID. Change to the following:
(933|*xx.|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

6) Ta-Da!  Now you can dial a *aaxxxxxxxxxx to change the outbound caller id that you set at Anveo in step 4

7) Set a custom star code to ring Google Voice Voicemail directly (I'm used to *86 from the AirTouch days) like this:
*86, VoiceMail, call(*aaxxxxxxxxxx)

*aa is your Custom Caller ID account 01 is the native number and the rest you set in step 4
xxxxxxxxxx is your Google Voice number

Instructions on how to change your Digit Map:
1) Log on to the Obi Dashboard and click on your device (IE OBI202)

2) Scroll to the bottom of the page and select OBI Expert Configuration and confirm on the pop-up

3) At the top of the screen, click on Enter OBI Expert

4) Click the
  • next to Service Providers

5) Click on ITSP Profile X General (Where X corresponds to the SP... SP1 = A, SP2 = B, etc)

6) Uncheck ObiTalk Settings for DigitMap

7) Uncheck Device Default for DigitMap

8) Paste in the new digit map (933|*xx.|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

9) Click Submit and wait for the reboot

10) TA-DA, test your 933 and a couple of your Custom Caller ID codes and you're all done!

* Use the above instructions at your own risk.
    * Your mileage may vary.
    * Void where prohibited.
    * If you accidentally call Ascension Island at $1.82/minute for 24 hours because you didn't set call security, please send us a copy of the bill so we can mock you. (That'd be $2620.80)

Have a nice day...

Taoman

Quote from: primerisk on April 25, 2014, 09:14:05 PM

* If you accidentally call Ascension Island at $1.82/minute for 24 hours because you didn't set call security, please send us a copy of the bill so we can mock you. (That'd be $2620.80)

Have a nice day...

Great post.  ;D

nitzan

Quote from: primerisk on April 25, 2014, 09:14:05 PM* If you accidentally call Ascension Island at $1.82/minute for 24 hours because you didn't set call security, please send us a copy of the bill so we can mock you. (That'd be $2620.80)
Actually the joke will be on the provider, considering there's no way they'll be able to collect on that $2620.

Either way- save yourself the trouble and always choose providers that operate on prepaid credit. Postpaid is risky for both you and the provider for this exact reason.
Nitzan Kon, CEO
Future Nine Corporation
http://www.future-nine.com/

KAura

agreed...  also if someone breaks into your device
and decides to make unauthorized calls...  bad, bad.